nylon washers and rack gear - too thick?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by geoangus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

On a friend's recommendation, I went out and bought some nylon washers to hopefully prevent rack rash on my new gear. The washers I picked up are maybe .100" thick and I'm putting them on both sides of the rack face. My noob question - now that I have effectively installed a .100" thick standoff, am I creating any undue stress on the rack face? I would think that I'd want the bearing surface to be the full height of the rack piece, not four little nylon washers or so circles.

I do have some other nylon insulators (washers) that are .003" thick. Would this be a wiser choice to use?

Thanks.

2. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

It probably won't hurt anything, but I have only put washers on the front side. The scratches usually occur when the head of the screw is tightened against the front of the rack ear, so that is the only place I put a washer.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Of all the used rack gear I've bought (and it's been considerable.) While I don't like beat ass looking gear... not once have I thought about what the rack ears looked like on the back side... I'd think just a strip of tape would be pretty sufficient.

4. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

And helps prevent ground loops.

5. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

What you really want is called a shoulder washer. Regular washers still can allow the thread to touch the mounting hole which a) may cause rack rash, albeit way less than no washer and b) may make a ground loop. A shoulder washer, which needs to be installed with some care, (a power screwdriver can just shear it into a regular washer), will center the screw.

If ground loops are a concern, there should be either a washer (PIA) or electrical tape between unit and rack. Also watch for adjacent units touching.

Most rack units are perfectly happy installed by the front only....perhaps heavy units or very deep units require bracing or rear rails.... some eighties processors (ie Yamaha D1500 delay) and certain power amps perhaps.

Shoulder washers are available from Raxess, Mid Atlantic etc. [​IMG]

Andy

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member