NYXL Strings wow.

beatnik

I’m not an endorsed user or anything like that, just a guy hacking it out in the bars.

I must say that I’ve been having issues with my PRS 97 CE 22 staying in tune (it would just fall out of time at random times —it may have been user error with the winged tuners) but I put the NYXL strings on and last night that guitar stayed in tune like a champ. We have one tune where I stretch and bend notes like nobodies business and at the end of the tune only one or two strings were one or two cents out. I was amazed! Normally I am checking and rechecking through the sets but last night I was able to play with confidence which is huge because we are moving from song to song to keep people out on the dance floor.

D’Addario advertises the strings as staying in tune better and lasting longer. I must agree with the staying in tune part. Great job and good strings!

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I was really impressed with how quickly the NYXLs stretch at install. Good stability and pretty good durability.
Tonewise, though, I prefer a bit more vintage inspired sound and Curt Mangan also hit a better price point.
In a pinch, NYXL is a sure bet if I run out of Mangans and have no time for shipping.

@beatnik, your '97 CE-22- got a pic? That is at the top of my never-should-have-sold list.

jcs

I’m not an endorsed user or anything like that, just a guy hacking it out in the bars.

I must say that I’ve been having issues with my PRS 97 CE 22 staying in tune (it would just fall out of time at random times —it may have been user error with the winged tuners) but I put the NYXL strings on and last night that guitar stayed in tune like a champ. We have one tune where I stretch and bend notes like nobodies business and at the end of the tune only one or two strings were one or two cents out. I was amazed! Normally I am checking and rechecking through the sets but last night I was able to play with confidence which is huge because we are moving from song to song to keep people out on the dance floor.

D’Addario advertises the strings as staying in tune better and lasting longer. I must agree with the staying in tune part. Great job and good strings!
Which set?

Btw, have you compared the regular D'Adarrio sets to these?

If these NYXL are a bit stiffer, i may try a .09 set

M

Member 995

I have them on my Thorn right now. They are very nice, but not noticeably different than other high quality strings.

beatnik

9-48 I think... not the light bottoms.

And regarding stiff, when I bought the PRS, I had the NYXL 10’s on there and I found them pretty stiff. I moved to regular D’Addarrio XL 10’s and the guitar loosened up a bit. I finally went to 9’s because I was doing the country thing and 10’s were tearing me up after long nights. But the XL 9’s were falling out of tune just randomly (maybe user error with the winged tuners). But the NYXL 9’s hung on all night which I cannot really attribute to me RTFM and using the tuners correctly. Even pulling the instrument out of the gig bag, I am finding her still in tune which did not happen with the regular D’Addarios.

My Tele still has the regular D’Addario strings on it and I have no issues what so ever with tuning (she is a rock). But the long and short of it is if you have a man instrument that fights you on staying in tune, the NYXL strings may be your solution. (I feel like an infomercial... and it will seal this screen door bottomed boat!)

I just recently switched to NYXL 10's as well and I'm loving them. I really feel the ability to bend easier and I also noticed an improved stability in tuning. I will be trying out NYXL 11's next time as I'm curious as to the larger string size and their effect on my sound… never played 11's before but I feel confident playing them with having played NYXL 10's.

TL;DR:
They play smooth, they bend easy, they stay in tune, they sound great, what's not to like?!

the swede

All the resons mentioned, i agree. But sadly they clarity and tone on the wounded strings degraded to fast for me. Not the strings fault though. I have very aggressive palm sweat... it seems :D

otherwise... they are the best strings i've tried.

thesooze

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone having fret wear issues (more than normal)? I’ve read that being an issue for some.

Trending Topics