O.K who's using a Blackface for hard rock stuff and does it kill?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jezzzz2003, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

OMG... I think I might be turning full circle here..
    Ive been playing a 50 superlead for 3 years now and have pretty much loved it for our classic rock type cover band but today I tried my hand on a re-issue Vibroverb with the SRV mods and it was creamy, chords just sounded glorious and compressed very nicely, leads were there and full, I remembered a guy I saw a year or so ago last night who was playing a red knobbed twin loud at a show and I was just blown away by his tone, never heard anything sound so good before so I tried the blackface when I got into work this morning full up and it was great,
    the thing is, Im going to have to take it to a show Thursday and give it a shot, you know how it is, something can work in a showroom but sound completely different on a stage with the band,

Anyway, my question is to others who have been in a similar situation, do you think Ill be happy going from the 4x12 100w greenback closed back cab and superlead, to an open back Fender 50w...? I really want to make this work.

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've gone the opposite. Fender man for decades, now only Marshall. I find Marshalls extremely different from Blackface Fenders. My fav BF amp is a Super Reverb. But it sure never sounded like my plexi. You may like Fender's more but expect big differences.

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

It won't come close to a Marshall without a good pedal and I'd add a 4 X 10" cab. I'm all done with 4 X 12" cabs. Lots of rock was done on Twin Reverbs. It was the serious professional's rig of choice for many years.

5. pappafox

pappafox Member

You can expect to loose some forward thrust n' thump, but it will be replaced by a mouth-watering, stage filling presence.
    Keep us posted on the results!

Jimbo

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

I've got a 4x10 for sale in the Emporium... this IS the new way to go with Marshall heads. I do not have one, so I am happy with my little cabs for what I need.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have two Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10", cabs and intend to keep them for the duration. The only other cab I use, other than my combo amps, is a single 12" detuned cab.

8. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

You'll probably find that the low end will be too saggy and farty for you if you're pushing the Fender with extra gain,od or fuzz.4-10'S are cool or even a 2+12,etc.There are tricks like smaller rectifiers that can tighten the ass a bit.
    I've spent quite a bit on my '71 Vibrolux to be able to flog it and have some definition in the booty.Sounding pretty good now.Nice contrast to my Marshall '68 Plexi 50 watt.A Les Paul through a Vibrolux is a wonderful thang.

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

I had the '64 Vibroverb Custom (not a reissue) and the SRRI. I found the SRRI much more of a "rockin'" amp vs. the Vibroverb...especially bumping it with a Sparkle Drive. The 'Verb was too picky with pedals imo. The '57 Deluxe reissue rocks even harder but that's a different vein altogether.

10. AL30

AL30 Member

I've been running a BF bassman head into a 4x10" Marshall for the last few years. A tube screamer and a Les Paul in front and it rocks.

AL