Oahu amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by El3ktra, Mar 30, 2008.

1. El3ktra

El3ktra Member

I'm curious if anyone has tried an Oahu amp, and what is their thought on this amp? if Keef ordered 20 of those, they're prolly not that bad he?

Oahu amps

2. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

I had one of those for a while a couple of years back. I didn't know they were still making them. It was a cool sounding amp, I liked it better than a Pro Jr I had at the time. What is the MSRP on them now?

Lee

3. Cottage

Cottage Member

Our harp player just got an original one and it sounds great. I just heard it at our gig last night. It has about 8 watts and what seemed to be a 10" speaker, although it might have been an 8".

4. lakesider

lakesider Member

I've got a couple. Oliver at Tab Funkenwerks re-racked up my Telefunken V-72's for me and went through them. He makes superlative versions of the V-72 and V-76 mic pres. Also makes a fantastic bass DI based on the V-72

5. El3ktra

El3ktra Member

thx for the infos guys,

Blueshound, sorry i have no clue how much these are going for lately. I will try to find out more about it. :)

lakesider, yeh I was actually checking those Tab telefunken preamps at first when i saw they were also building amps. Those preamps get rave reviews and i might add one to my arsenal soon.
    Could you elaborate on those amps tonally, are they close to the deluxe family? early breakup or? i'm not familiar with supro-like amps, but i'm getting intereted lately in those small combos.

6. lakesider

lakesider Member

the Oahus that Oliver and Jeff Marshall built aren't really like Supro/Valco amps but they are very cool. I have a dual 6V6 one and another that has 4 EL84's. The dual 6V6 was a combo with on 10" but I had it made into a head when I was using it as part of my Steve Earle rig. The 4 EL84' one has 2 voices. "Spank" and "Stank". Mine is #2. I guess that Gibbons fellow got #1. It isn't really loud but it is pretty damn cool.