Oasis copy cat or keeping rock alive?

drabombs

I was big into Oasis when I was young and just heard these guys. Going to see them when they come through for the heck of it. What do yous think of 'em?

stevel

30 seconds into the first video and already better than anything I heard by Oasis.

Oasis was completely derivative. They just happened upon the scene at a time where that worked for them.

These people are working in a climate where this kind of movement is hot right now so they're also doing it at a good time.

Music runs in cycles like this. There's always craziness followed by a move "back to basics". The "Americana" trend ("alt noveau folk"?) has spread to all the hipsters (don't know which of the 15 million genre names are applied to groups like this, but they're all basically "Strummy guitar" bands, which is folk-like, and "rootsy" in many ways).

The catch here is that, while Oasis was derivative, at least they stood out because no one else was doing what they were doing at the time. This band has a LOT more competition. They pretty much sound like everything, anything, and nothing all at once - which a lot of current bands in this general style do.

Time will tell.

drabombs

What scene did oasis happen upon? They were never huge in the states. The madchester scene was hardly marshall stacks. Oasis was a breath of fresh air, meaning lager, benson and hedges rock and roll air.
Is this question directed toward me or stevel?

Coldacre

Indeed. I also think a lot of Americans have no idea how huge Oasis was in the UK.
in two and a half years they went from unknowns playing clubs to 20 people, to headlining Knebworth in 1996. and not just once, 2 nights in a row.

they weren't just massive, they were gargantuan!

In the mid 90's, people were criticizing Oasis for being too much like the Beatles. But that was a little harsh. This is a little too much like The Beatles:

But if it's a good tune, than that's all that matters.

Trending Topics