Oasis copy cat or keeping rock alive?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by drabombs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. drabombs

drabombs Member

Not that obvious to me besides the first one. Got more?

2. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a fan of Oasis but Noel is a great songwriter who came up with more hooks for the first two Oasis albums then most of the rest of Britpop put together, and Liam is up there with John Lydon and Morrissey in terms of individuality - like his voice or not, you can recognise it from the first word every time. They were unashamedly retro and they didn't exactly do much to advance rock music as an at form, but as a feel good stadium rock band they were pretty great.

I personally think Britpop was pretty incidental to Oasis. In 1994 Britpop was a fairly disparate collection of indie bands linked mainly by British accents and lyrics that were reflective of British culture - some of those bands were great but the likes of Suede, Auteurs etc were pretty firmly alternative and never likely to be filling stadiums. Oasis were very different to that - wide ranging in appeal, happy to be mainstream, able to entertain the tabloids as well as the music papers. What became Britpop after Oasis broke through was largely the result of a feeding frenzy where major labels trawled the pubs of Camden looking for soundalikes.

4inchjones, Clyde Billt and Coldacre like this.
  3. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

THAT'S your basis for calling them a Beatles copy cat band? a 4 bar example of a rolling drum beat that is similar to Tomorrow Never Knows? the other 3 passing examples?

that's the bar you raise for a "copycat band"? you realize that makes up probably less the one percent of Oasis' entire recording catalogue.

do you know how many hundreds of bands have employed similar beats at some stage of their careers somewhere along the line?

"copy cat band" my arse.

(Something) likes this.
  4. conanb

conanb Member

Oasis were good for the first two albums. Their time passed. They blew it with Be Here Now.

This band don't sound as good as Oasis and, to my ears, they just sound like second rate copyists. I don't hear anything individual in their sound.

People forget that when Oasis came out nobody sounded like Oasis. Same with the Stone Roses. Some people seem to remember both bands as if they were the best of a Britpop/Rock scene when they came out but they really weren't. Both bands were pioneers in their field, in their time. Derivative, sure, but if you look at the charts around 6 months before the release dates of The Stone Roses or Definitely Maybe and see what was trendy you'd see that both bands came quite out of left field and made something uncool (and unfashionable) very popular. Any band worth their salt will add something of their own to their influences. This band are not doing that. I don't hear anything but their influences. I'd rather go listen to the Coral.

Jason Calieri and Coldacre like this.
  5. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

Oasis sounded to me like a Beatles/Glam cross with weaker songs.

bullet6759 and Stu Cats like this.
  6. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

7. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

Considering their biggest influences were Slade and the Beatles, that isn't surprising. I was a teenager living in London when What's the Story...broke. I begged for a guitar that Christmas.

4inchjones and Clyde Billt like this.
  8. (Something)

I'm in that picture! (well, probably, if I remember where I was standing correctly)

Hallogallo and A-Bone like this.
  9. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

I still prefer The Verve to anything Oasis did.

10. (Something)

FTFY

Jokes aside, it is really hard to express how important Oasis was in Britain to Americans. There are a ton of bands I prefer to Oasis, but none that affected me in quite the same way. I've said it before on TGP, but Noel Gallagher is the reason I started playing guitar and he is the reason I discovered the Smiths and Stone Roses (and started working backwards to discover THEIR influences and contemporaries). You can really feel the Oasis influence in all British music that followed them (kinda like the Beatles, in a way).

I will say that one of my favorite lyrics is from the Travis song "Writing to Reach You." "What's a Wonderwall anyway?" -- while playing the Wonderwall chords.

aaronblues, Hallogallo and A-Bone like this.
  11. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

I still prefer pepper as a seasoning over salt.

fascinating information eh!

12. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Not a Pulp fan. McCabe is my favorite guitarist of the last couple of decades, so that obviously colors my opinion.

I'm actually shocked that Oasis wasn't bigger in the States. Of all the big Brit-pop bands, they are the most 'American' sounding.

The Stone Roses (some of their catalog at least) and The Smiths are also on a whole other level than Oasis to me. A lot of that may have to do with Marr and Squire. I just don't think that the guitars in Oasis reach the level of McCabe, Marr, or Squire. Obviously a lot of people feel differently.

aaronblues, conanb and (Something) like this.
  13. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

I just want to know if anyone has a problem with this song. cos it's the best fooking song you'll hear all month!

CRANK IT

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. drabombs

drabombs Member

I do too. I'm American though, whatever that has to do with it.

Hallogallo likes this.
  15. (Something)

Word. I spend a lot of time being Johnny Marr in a Smiths tribute. His stuff is on a whole 'nother level. Even Noel will admit he isn't nearly the player Marr is. Oasis wasn't necessarily the best, but they reached a lot of people.

Hallogallo and A-Bone like this.
  16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

They were kind of a throwback band for sure, nothing wrong with that. They wrote good songs and wore their influences proudly on their sleeves. Not many bands were doing the 60s/70s inspired rock thing back then as I recall....but I was like 10 when their first album came out.

The Darkness did a similar thing in the early 2000's. They were a shameless throwback to 70s/80s glam rock....but they had some cool songs. So...if the songs are good the rest doesn't matter....to me anyways.

17. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

That's awesome! That had to be a fun gig.

Somewhere on youtube there's a funny story about Noel and one of Marr's famous guitars.

Marr is always the first person I think of when I see the constant TGP "Where are the guitar heroes post 1978?" threads.

They really did reach a lot of people. Those festival pics are unreal.

(Something) likes this.
  18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Hallogallo likes this.
  19. (Something)

Tons of fun! We have a singer that nails Morrissey right down to the mannerisms. Studying Marr was frustrating at first. I got a looper because his layering is legendary; however, when I started pulling the tracks apart, I would catch one note that would ring out on a totally different layer and I had no idea how to incorporate that into the rest of the arrangement. Once the arrangements were sorted, it was gravy. Ironically, How Soon is Now is one of the easier tracks to cover and Bigmouth Strikes Again is one of the harder ones to reproduce live. That mix of acoustic, Ric, moving capo, harmonizer and Les Paul on Bigmouth made it difficult to find a happy medium.

Clyde Billt and Hallogallo like this.
  20. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Right.
    I was living in Europe when their first album was released and was blown away to hear a simple guitar rock band coming out of the UK at that point. They exploded it seemed overnight.
    When I moved back to the states Wonderwall was just released. Saw them at a club with about 100 people -they'd just played festivals of hundreds of thousands in Europe.
    They were so boring live I totally lost interest in them. In their defense they did get a new bassist or drummer(?)