Oasis copy cat or keeping rock alive?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by drabombs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

There are tonnes of articles and clips on the net, plus most have working ears. It is not my job to convince you that the sky is blue.

bullet6759 likes this.
  2. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I guess I'm a rare bird because, not only am I American, but I became an Oasis freak "because" of Be Here Now. When I saw the video for D'you Know What I Mean...I thought they, their guitars, their amps...everything about them, sounded and looked fantastic. I then worked back through the first two albums, bought everything else they ever produced, and have been a fan ever since. I happen to think that Dig Out Your Soul was their most solid and consistent album though.

3. drewl

drewl Member

Christ even Oasis video's blatently ripped off the Beatles.

Still love them.
    I'd like to buy the world a coke......;)

Stu Cats and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  4. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I saw Verve at a bar which held about 300 in Vancouver in 1993. I took some friends who had never heard of them and they became instant fans. They were fantastic live.

aaronblues and soulohio like this.
  5. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Holy crap, that is awesome.
    I never got to see them live, but have plenty of live recordings and videos. They were one of the best live bands of the 90s.

6. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

There were 150 - 170 there, max. Richard Ashcroft was barefoot, waving incense around, totally pie-eyed from BC bud. Two thirds through the show he was singing laying down, totally baked.

aaronblues likes this.
  7. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Any memory of the setlist?

8. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

It was a very long time ago. At that time, I only had A Storm in Heaven, and the She's a Superstar Ep. My friends were surprised and in awe at the sounds being made by Nick McCabe. He never once looked up from the floor or his guitar.

The Town Pump, in Gastown, Vancouver, was an amazing venue. It is long gone, replaced by dance club after dance club.

http://www.oocities.org/verve1984/page/asihinpics.htm November 18th, 1993.

The closest set list I could find is:

Sacramento, California 23-11-93

01 Star Sail
    02 Slide Away
    03 Virtual World
    04 Blue
    05 Man Called Sun
    06 She's A Superstar
    07 Already There
    08 The Sun, The Sea
    09 Six O'clock
    10 Feel
    11 Gravity Grave

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    aaronblues and Hallogallo like this.
  9. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

You mean Kinks.

10. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

:agree

Back to the DMA's...

I remember seeing them play a year or 2 ago and thinking they were a comedy band. They were wearing tracksuits/madchester fashion in the middle of summer and even had the english accents down. How anyone can listen to one of their songs and not cringe at every line is beyond me.

aaronblues likes this.
  11. soulohio

soulohio Member

yea mate
    thats the shite
    love em

aaronblues, Hallogallo and Stu Cats like this.
  12. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

they don't sound anything like The Beatles and you know it. for a "Beatles copycat band" you would think they would sound like them.... at least a little!

nup. walls of Marshalls, Les Pauls.... huge roaring sound with feedback. if this is your idea of a Beatles copycat band, you might wanna get your ears checked

crambone likes this.
  13. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I would have probably like them if it wasn't for the whiney Manc accent

14. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Agreed on both accounts.

Not a knock against Oasis. Any halfway-informed Oasis fans knows that Noel readily says he ripped off numerous songs. Just like Green Day ripping off "Wonderwall" for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". You only have so many chords, sooner or later they are going to sound the same.

Big-time Oasis fan, too. I pretty much memorized their first 3 albums on guitar. "Married with Children" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

15. mikebat

mikebat Member

You know, one way to develop your music is trying to be 100% original all the time. It is difficult and can often lead to music that simply has no appeal. It is a dangerous road. At the same time, some guys can just do this instinctively, and it is beautiful.

On the other hand, tried and true formulas work because....they are tried and true. As many have pointed out, Oasis themselves are often thought of as a composite of their influences. You know, when you are trying to turn a hobby into a income, you think of what will turn the audience on. Often times it is familiar sounds, but changed up just enough to make it fresh.

Being an artist is a balance between creating music that others will latch on to quickly and expressing yourself. You can starve pretty fast making music for yourself alone. So, walk that line.

Hallogallo likes this.
  16. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

what a blast from the past, Liams voice is huge and effortless. This was when he was concentrating on being a singer, and not the last great rockstar

17. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Who says Oasis weren't big in the States? I recall hearing an Oasis about once an hour on the Modern Rock stations back in the mid-nineties. They were pretty ubiquitous, IMO. Everyone I knew ragged on them for being Beatles copycats, but I dug them. (And I'm a huge Beatles fan.) Their tunes were catchy as hell.

18. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

Can I be just a little bit jealous? :bow

19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

They definitely got more radio play than any of the other acts lumped under the Britpop umbrella. Still, you should look at the coverage they received here compared to in the UK,or the sizes of their respective gigs in each place.

20. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

That is all you have, 1 example live?