1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Oasis copy cat or keeping rock alive?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by drabombs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

this is what Oasis generally sound like.

2. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

Also this

Oasis got noticed covering "I am the Walrus," but aside from some passing similarities, I don't hear them as a Beatles copycat. Saying Oasis is ripping off the Beatles is like saying all (people of whatever ethnicity) look the same.

3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

OK, here they have an undeniable Slade influence, with agreed, their own sound. In the studio, the Beatles comparisons cannot be ignored. They are there, whether one wishes to acknowledge it or not. We are all influenced by our predecessors.

4. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

oh absolutely they use beatles riffs/lines here and there, noel isn't shy about saying so. they don't have the subtlety to really sound like the beatles though, much closer sex pistols/slade in delivery live. Early on liam was penned as half lennon half jonny rotten

Stu Cats likes this.
  5. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Noel Gallagher is one of the funniest rock stars ever, the right mix of asshole and self depreciation. He's been doing his own band called High Flying Birds for a while.

His voice is really good. Much better than Liam's imo.

soulohio likes this.
  6. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

Noel Gallagher is arguably the best songwriter of his generation. Yes, there are Beatles influences, but also many others. Let's be honest though, how can one be working in this genre of music and NOT be influenced by the Beatles.

However, I think Oasis, like many of the greats, continued to grow and evolve over the course of their many albums. I agree with the earlier post that "Dig Out Your Soul" is easily one the their best (it didn't hurt that they had Gem, Andy, and Zak along for the ride either).

I mean, seriously, look at Beatles, starting off with a cover of "Twist and Shout" and going on to record the White Album and "Abbey Road." Light years, but you got to start somewhere.

Just because Oasis were English and absolutely huge, they get the obvious Beatles comparisons, but to me their music is just not the same.

I visited England in the mid 90's and it was just so cool to feel how vital they were.

Oasis=Legends

Yes, I do like the Verve too! (and the Smiths, Jam, Kinks, Blur, on and on)

7. DV52

DV52 Member

The singer is in a new band, I saw them on "Live At Abby Road" a few weeks ago on axcess tv. I will have to go look at it again and repot back. Even though it has nothing to do with OP.

8. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

Noel is a huge Slade fan and had Noddy Holder as guest of honour at their Manchester stadium gig in the mid 90s.

23 years previously

soulohio likes this.
  9. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Wonder whatever happened to No Way Sis?

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I'm almost positive I was at that Sac show. Incoukdnhabe sworn it was 94. I saw fIREHOSE the same year at the Cattle Club as well. If I remember there was one local Sac band and another national act. IDK. Saw the Verve about 4 times or so.

11. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

there you go. Even tribute bands were releasing songs on the back of them, that's how manic it was mid 90s

S. F. Sorrow likes this.
  12. soulohio

soulohio Member

been listening to Noel's
    solo discs
    impressive
    really diggin it
    mon

13. soulohio

soulohio Member

my writing
    is like my guitar playing
    without pitey
    all yer dangerous road are belonging to me

14. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Oasis was up there with the 2nd tier US rock bands in the 90s as far as popularity goes. I don't think they were as popular as STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc., but they had Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova all over the radio for a good while.

I really liked "What's the Story Morning Glory" although the way it was produced gave my ears listening fatigue after a while (too much treble or something?). Don't Go Away is also a great song.

As for being copycats or whatever, I wouldn't say they were revolutionary or anything, but everyone is inspired by someone, so...who cares? /shrug

They wrote a handful of solid, memorable songs if nothing else.