• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Oasis's Debut "Definitely Maybe"

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
yes maybe only a weak track or two
noel did all the guitars and bass i believe

paulbearer

Saw great NYC shows at Wetlands in Fall '94 and The Academy Winter '95. Supreme wall of sound... I miss both of those spots!

ANALOG GUY

Not the best production but a wall of hits. Great writing from those boys, I keep that CD in the car.

sixty2strat

loved super sonic. Heard it on the car radio and thought I have not heard such a snarl and distain since Jagger in the 60's

I never have like thier production too muddy and full of reverb

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
Still one of my fave albums.

In 2004 Sony released "Definately Maybe: The DVD" that had a 1hr documentary on the making of the album.

It's pretty interesting because they cover how they recorded the album 3 times with 3 different producers and then had a tough time mixing it.

They also cover how this was the first rock album to feature "brickwalling" the mix to eliminate any dynamics and make it more "in your face" sounding.
Worth watching if you've got the time. The quality isn't the best, but it's good enough to get the point across.

(btw - it's not subtitled so if you don't speak "Scallie", "Scouser" or any other UK vers. of English you might have trouble following it ;) )

I was just listening to it yesterday. Most of those songs were excellent. Digsy's Diner and Married with Children would probably be great on someone else's record...but here, they didn't "sheeeeyine"! :)

Retreads

Love it! Supersonic was the first guitar riff that I taught myself. You know, back when I believed that all great guitar leads must incorporate some crazy scales and virtuoso finger magic. Turns out that the magic on Noel's leads is pentatonic + bends + double stop in the last part = awesome. I love how great that Supersonic riff still sounds. It's usually the first thing I play when evaluating a new guitar or amp.

GreatKingRat

Oasis' first two albums are great British rock and roll records. What I like most is the absolutely awesome guitar tone Noel had, it was friggin' huge.

Oasis to me: first two records= SOLID GOLD, Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulders of Giants= had their respective moments, but didn't seem to have the urgency and magic of the first two albums. Heathen Chemistry=Gem Archer and Andy Bell came in to help out Noel steer the ship back on the right path, and Liam made a good effort with Songbird! The last two albums= A musically mature and experienced Oasis was back to making brilliant albums with an attitude and vibe that only comes with "being the best fookin' band in the world! MEGA! MEGA!"

The Masterplan is another great listen!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom