OBD (Old Bass Day)

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by NoiseNinja, Nov 23, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

So someone might remember me posting the NBD thread about my new weathered black Ibanez Mikro bass with mahogany body, which I got since I chipped some of the upper fret board of my old Mikro when trying to drill a cavity for an extra far neck position pickup.

Well thing is, after some pondering and playing on my new Mikro, it feels a little different, and not really in a good way, and even though acoustically it appears to have a better more open tone, after all I felt something was missing in the amplified tone of it, which might or might not have to do with me being unable to use the EMG Geezer Butler J pickup I used in my old Mikro, since the cavity for it on the new Mikro was too short, and therefor had to go with the stock one paired with my EMG Geezer Butler P pickup.

Also it had a slight buzz on the high G string, almost over the entire fretboard, which annoyed me slightly.

So to come to the point I decided to see if I could repair my old Mikro, I glued the chipped off part of the fret board back on with some super glue, as it was really only concerning the last 2 frets where the low E string would be, and filled up the unfinished cavity I drilled for the extra pickup with some filler mass, painted it over a couple of times and finished up with some coats of varnish.

Didn't exactly turn out pretty, but it seems to work quite well, and I have my old bass back playing as it used to.

Also removed the Geezer Butler P pickup from my new Mikro and reinstalled it in my old one together with the matching J pickup.

So here it is, my old Ibanez Mikro bass, which by the was has a body of basswood in contrary to the new one's mahogany body:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    noley likes this.
  2. tripp2k

tripp2k International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Looks like rock and roll to me :cool:

It's true, you can play ten guitars that are all the same and there's a pretty good shot you'll prefer a smaller subset of those ten whether it is sound, weight, sustain, etc.

3. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Supporting Member

If it plays good and you like the tone, then it is good.

Be yourself and no one else.