Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mpcoluv, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I know Dumbles are a sacred cow to many. I'll admit that I have owned or played most holy grail amps except for a Dumble. All of the Dumble emulator pedals I have tried I did not like. Maybe the smooth "Wooo" fusion like sustain is not for me. However on the Dumble (and clone) recordings I do like, it's the lush clean tone that gives me wood.
    Kimock is a great example of this. Is the clean tone the real HAD magic? Dumble players enlighten me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    DucRyder and Castlebreath like this.
  2. Khromo

Khromo Silver Supporting Member

Being neither rich nor Robben Ford, I play a knock-off.

So speaking as a guy who loves his knock off, I would suggest this:

The clean tones are superb, and a lot of guys probably love the amps for that reason alone.

The distorted tones are elegant, and they are very flexible. They are not everybody's distorted tones, but neither are anyone else's. Some guys love that singing, violin like sustain, because it works, or can be made to work, in a lot of different settings. Some guys lean toward these amps because of these tones. Instant controllable feedback, and it doesn't need to be cranked to achieve that.

The amps have a happy combination of great clean tones and great, foot-switchable overdriven or distorted tones in one fairly easy to use package. I think most users appreciate this and find the amps very useable and attractive for this reason.

These threads always get stupid before the end of the first page.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The cleans are very good, not great. Does not have as deep a bottom end or as much brightness as the best Fenders, which help keep the flub and buzz out of the overdrive. The cleans can be made to be on the brink of distortion with higher vol 1 settings which is really nice, and you cant do that with classic Fenders.

stratpaulguy86 likes this.
  4. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

They're nice sounding amps but the tone doesn't justify the price nor the strange creator.

Old Marshalls is where i started & where i'll stay.

psyclist, SQUAREHEAD, C-4 and 7 others like this.
  5. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

Hey there are alot of strange minds in creativeness but if we all stayed where we started we all would still be driving Model T's Lol
    It's good to experiment some .

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I'm a long time tweed amp guy that loves tweed amps and the blues and jazz music that I play through them. Try as I might to turn my nose up at D-style amps my curiosity gets the best of me at times. I confess I've visited the websites of most D-style amps and listened to/watched several videos and clips of them. Don't tell my blues buddies I said that. I think if I had the necessary funds I'd probably own at least one D-style amp. Players like Robben Ford, John Scofield, Tom Quayle, Larry Carlton, and several others have a lot to do with that. My favorite kinds of music to play are traditional and neo-traditional blues (think Duke Robillard, Anson Funderburgh, Ronnie Earl, etc.), Kansas City/Basie style '30s, '40s, '50s, and early '60s jazz/swing/R&B, and contemporary West Coast style jump and swing. But I also like contemporary jazz and fusion style jazz and funk......D-style amp territory. Although I know John Scofield has been known to use Victoria tweed style amps.

Chances are I'll not end up purchasing a D-style amp due to their expense and my not having the kind of income to allow me to own multiple high end amps. It's also due to the fact that I just ordered a Victoria Double Deluxe, an amp I dearly love. It goes perfectly with the retro styles of music I mentioned above. The tones out of that amp are absolutely sublime.

Anyway, I do like the D-style sound. I like the jangle-y cleans and ultra smooth OD. Strange because I use very little OD. I also really like the versatility and tweakability.

OK, there ya go. I like D-style amps. There, I said it! A confession from an old school blues/jazz guy. Ahhhhhh......I feel so much better now, LOL!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Uh, what? All mine will do that. Larry Carlton recorded a *ton* of things on the brink of distortion with a tweed deluxe.

8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

It's not an AC30, or an 18 watt Marshall, so the sound isn't for me, but I do appreciate the clone-ism in amps and pedals the sound created.

9. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

While I have found the Marshall/Vox/Trainwreck emulation pedals do work for me somewhat, The Dumble inspired pedals must not really capture much of the actual Dumble amp experience...

10. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I've played three different dumble amps and two of them were outstanding. Kind of bowled me over. But I get more bowled over by a vintage BF Fender and especially Fender tweeds from the late '50s. If prices were equal, the Dumble would be my third choice with brownface Fenders a close fourth.

spakuloid and remocity like this.
  11. Tag

Sorry for not being more specific, you are correct. I was talking about with a single amp at at all volumes. Volume 1 on a Dumble is a gain control. On a Fender, you have to crank the $hit out if it. If you use a small Fender, you have no clean headroom, if you use a large one, its way to loud. The Dumble can do it at all volume levels, and gives you that incredible OD channel as well, which can be balanced with the cleans. That being said, I like the cleans of a Fender much more.

spakuloid, Cgkindler and Khromo like this.
  12. BadHiwatt

BadHiwatt Member

I have previously owned a Fuchs ODS. I used it with a 2x12 loaded with EVM-12L OEM speakers. @Tag is correct re: the edge of distortion at all volumes thing. I'm currently trying to end a PayPal dispute so that I can get back into the D-amp world...but the Speed Shop 5E3 PTP is also calling...decisions decisions.

Tag likes this.
  13. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Is this similar to the 'edge of distortion' thing that a trainwreck has going on? I'm under the impression that there are several variations of 'dumble', and that each were tweaked specifically for the intended player. How do we make such sweeping generalizations? (Yes, I've read a ton of these threads... no, I've never played one, or a clone).

14. Tag

Not at all like a train wreck. Yes, I have played several of those. The Dumbles of certain time periods are usually very similar. The tweaks he made for individual players seems to be quite small for the most part, or at least judging from the ones I have played and heard.

spakuloid and smolder like this.
  15. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

I just posted a thread about Fender cleans in comparison with the Bludotone SSD. I'll follow this with interest too.

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I live on the clean channel of my Glaswerks Zingaro.....a Dumble inspired amp. So for me and my needs, yes, the clean channel is where it's at.

glaswerks and james russell like this.
  17. e???

e??? Member

Even the SSS type models? I always thought that would be my reason for getting any Dumble style, the rich cleans of a more SSS style dumble. Been wondering what good p90's thru a good SSS amp for awhile, but I'm happy with my fender style amps. Brownface and blackface style mostly. So an SSS style wouldn't be an improvement in deep, rich, cleans?

18. TCMx3

TCMx3 Member

none of the pedals even come close to a clone amplifier for me, though I havent tried the Royal Overdrive (had an Ethos tho). can't compare to a real one.

yes, the cleans are the best part IMO. I much prefer the OD sounds that come out of the tweed boxes made in the late 50s or big black boxes with gold letters made in the late 60s. but I'd take an ODS' cleans over a blackface Fender or especially a later silverface Fender anyday. Id take the OD over cranking one of those as well.

19. muchXS

muchXS Member

Guy using Tesla as his avatar calls Dumble weird.

Not knockin' Tesla... he's my great uncle on my grandmother's side.

TELECOLLECTOR and Cgkindler like this.
  20. CallEOD

CallEOD Member