• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Seth L

Got to play through a Carol Ann DG50 yesterday. The one and only D-style amp I've ever plugged into. I was impressed. Very nice indeed. Great cleans, smooth, soft OD, nice smooth transition from clean to OD, great versatility, superb craftsmanship. What's not to like? This from an old school, tweed loving, bluesy jazz and jazzy blues guy. I've noticed some D-style amps are just starting to creep into the "armamentarium" of blues players. I welcome them. Great tone is great tone, no matter the maker.
Tag says they're no good. This is all you need to know. :rotflmao

They sound mighty fine to me.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Tag says they're no good. This is all you need to know. :rotflmao

They sound mighty fine to me.
False. I said in a direct A/B situation the Dumble smoked it, not even close.It did. I also said the Fuchs sounded MUCH closer to the Dumble. It did. I also said the Two Rock Emerald pro has much better cleans. It does. By itself, the CA sounds fine. A/Bing it is where the truth comes out. That is what I said. YOU need to pay attention. :aok

slybird

Do people read the Dumble threads?
I peak in for a laugh. Might make a comment because I'm here. These people take these threads and amps way too seriously. I really think it is humorous.

I wouldn't mind dumble threads if there was less of them, but it seem they make a new one every day. I don't know how many amps the company made, but I am under the impression it is very few. TGP really should just have one thread for every amp and give dumbles their own sub forum here. I would then hit ignore for the entire forum.

plumberstrummer

Fatal3Records.com
Honestly, what Ken says here DOES make sense, however it's more a matter of PROPER pc board design rather than pc boards in general. He even specifically mentions "running inputs of circuits near outputs of circuits" which you certainly want and need to avoid in most any layout. While my boards (and surely others) are laid out on a computer, I manually chose and place the parts positions, grounding and signal trace paths and use over thick trace sizes to replicate real wired layouts.This, despite the availability of programs that auto-route and place parts on boards. While they look pretty, they often sound horrid. I had a couple of pedals prototyped by another drafter based on my circuit designs. They were repackaged versions of circuits I built in other pedals (so I know how they should sound). They sounds like a$$. I no longer auto-route anything. In the early days, I would compare hand wired hard wired prototypes to pc boards and make dozens of revisions until there was no crosstalk, feedback, ghost notes, or instabilities in the board versions of hard wired prototypes. While I've not done a/b comparisons nor measurements, I suspect the twisted wire vs solid might be a little bit extreme. I do work to eliminate coax cable (or minimize the length and number of pieces) for fidelity reasons....interesting video, never saw it before...
Righteous, Mr Fuchs. Thank you for sharing some of what separates you from the chaff. Again, your company makes great amps, and I have watched your stellar customer service in action for years. I would recommend Fuchs to anyone considering one - easily. And the price point is unmatched, which is the point. To know that you spent so much energy dialing in your design only further informs my understanding of why your amps sound so good.

I am actually working with a PCB manufacturer on making an 1176 compressor board with thicker traces, and all the rest, and have been learning a lot about the challenges therein. Kudos to you for going the extra mile, and I can testy that the end result is worth it. Soldano and others also use thick traces, and I notice those amps sound better (yours as well, as it turns out). There are build techniques to try and mitigate the negative aspects of PCB, and I would put such amps against the "good" hand wired amps any day. Still, I do have a few serious HW gems that are unmatched in any respect, and I know that there is more to that result than just the build technique.

*EDIT:

ALSO - if you were serious about your offer for anyone to come to your shop, share beers and play amps, I am all for it. I'm not often on the east coast, but if I get that way soon could I take you up on it? It sounds like fun...

Last edited:

Seth L

False. I said in a direct A/B situation the Dumble smoked it, not even close.It did. I also said the Fuchs sounded MUCH closer to the Dumble. It did. I also said the Two Rock Emerald pro has much better cleans. It does. By itself, the CA sounds fine. A/Bing it is where the truth comes out. That is what I said. YOU need to pay attention. :aok
You said the Dumble smoked it. That doesn't mean anything except you like your **** better.

Tag

You said the Dumble smoked it. That doesn't mean anything except you like your **** better.
Take it to mean anything you want. Im reporting my findings...however, what I did not say, was "their no good".
I reserve that for Marshalls. :roll

Seth L

Take it to mean anything you want. Im reporting my findings...however, what I did not say, was "their no good".
I reserve that for Marshalls. :roll
Your findings mean you like your **** better. That's cool for you, but perhaps not for everyone else. Marshall's have sold more records than any Dumble or clone ever has. This Dumble business is actually pretty myopic. It's such a small part of what's out there.

Boxcar Wookie

I do not understand why people post in Dumble threads when they have no interest in them. It doesn't make sense. Unless they are just lashing out because they are jealous they will never afford one.

Seth L

I do not understand why people post in Dumble threads when they have no interest in them. It doesn't make sense. Unless they are just lashing out because they are jealous they will never afford one.
I can afford something better. :rotflmao I just love the the whole kool-aid vibe. Lashing out? I'm trying to make sense. IMHO where they really shine is slide.

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I think we've already established that Dumble builds different amps with different sounds, and that TAG likes a very particular subset of that production. On that basis the fact that he prefers his Quinns and original ODS to Carol-Ann amps doesn't really tell anyone else anything about how they'd feel. Unless they particularly liked Politician, then I'd trust TAG's ears!

Boxcar Wookie

I can afford something better. :rotflmao I just love the the whole kool-aid vibe. Lashing out? I'm trying to make sense. IMHO where they really shine is slide.
I find more of a kook aid vibe with the guys that are so against Dumble amps. Even though they've never played one. It's like a dysfunctional cult you guys are all. Such bitterness over something you will never own. It is entertaining to watch all the ants scurry.

Tag

I think we've already established that Dumble builds different amps with different sounds, and that TAG likes a very particular subset of that production. On that basis the fact that he prefers his Quinns and original ODS to Carol-Ann amps doesn't really tell anyone else anything about how they'd feel. Unless they particularly liked Politician, then I'd trust TAG's ears!
But you are getting into the "its all good, its all subjective" thing. I dont buy that and never have. My experiences have shown me otherwise. Some amps sound great, some sound good, and some sound like ass. And when you put players into the same room, most agree. Sure there are a few exceptions, but not many. Go out and line those amps up the way I did and A/B/C them. I dont care if you play metal, jazz, country or blues. All prices being equal, every player would walk out with the Dumble. Lights out. Good night Irene. There is a reason Dumbles get the money they do. Because they sound like nothing else. Look at how many guys try and clone them, or claim "Based on a Dumbe". Why do you think amp garage had hundreds of guys trying to get every bit of info they could on any Dumble they could find?? Because they sound like nothing else.:aok

Last edited:

ducker 1

Tone is all subjective--and theres really no reason those amps are so expensive other than pure legend-Dumbles sound good but not that good --but hey If one wants to pay for it let em.

Trending Topics