Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mpcoluv, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thanks for the kind words. Most appreciated, especially at TGP...

2. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

For me, I haven't cared for the stock OD sound from a Dumble, usually. The 2 I've played and the numerous clones just weren't my thing. Scott L helped me with the settings of my Fuchs that I had. That was the closest I've come to using it. Actually dialed it in close to my Zen.

It's all personal opinion when it comes to sound. Robben Ford said he prefers his Zendrive over the OD on his Dumble. But then at times he still uses the OD also. It's not a bad sound, just not for me when I play. Have heard others use it and it sounds great :beer

3. Seth L

Seth L Member

Yes indeedy! The Dumble/Klon rabbit hole is a deep one. There's so much incredible gear out there it's unbelievable. There is no best.

PedalFreak likes this.
  4. PedalFreak

Of course sound is subjective. How can you quantify what is a great sound? You can't. I know players that would flat out not own a Dumble, I know others that own them but will tell you that they are great for what they do, but would never use it as their main amp. Dumbles and D-style amps are such a niche market. "Hundreds" of guys on the amp garage, compared to thousands that recreate Fender or Marshall amps.

I love Dumbles, if I had the cash I'd search one out. Have owned D-style that I've A/B'd with the real thing. Love them, but it is subjective.

I've felt this way about the Klon since the first klones started to pop up. I actually think it's very similar to the Dumble thing as well. I have never played a klone that does what the Klon does, never. However, standing in the audience, or in front of someone else playing a klone, you can get the sound. Same with a Dumble. The biggest thing with the Dumble and Klon, to me, is the feel you get when you're playing them. They react and have a feel like nothing I've played. Klones, the Archer has come the closest IMO, but still not the same as a Klon.

The Fuchs I had was the closest to a Dumble I played, although there was a tiny bit of something I got out of the Dumble that I didn't in my Fuchs. But $ for $, I'd pick my Fuchs. Now had I A/B with a different Dumble maybe I'd have a different reaction. I know I played a guitar once that I was prepared to sell off everything in order to buy. I'm sure there would be a Amp that way as well out there.

Just my .02 :beer

5. Seth L

Seth L Member

I get by pretty well with my Euphoria and Archer. At least 98% there, if not more, when they're going into a good amp.

6. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

lmao so savage.

7. PedalFreak

And if it's good for you that's great. I discovered years ago that gear is strictly for the player. 99% of an audience doesn't know and doesn't care what you're playing through :rotflmao

Seth L, VaughnC and Woodyworld like this.
  8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

True to a point. However, the right rig seems to pull things out of me that another rig wouldn't. So, if I'm happy with what I'm hearing from my rig, I tend to play better...and, hopefully, the listener will have a better experience ;).

To my ears, Tag's style is perfect for his tone...and I can even feel his happiness in his clips :).

Tag and PedalFreak like this.
  9. PedalFreak

Yep, this is what I was trying to say by my previous post. It's whatever moves you to play your best. The audience doesn't care if it's a $100k Dumble or a $200 Roland Cube. Likewise if you're playing a Klon or a Archer. But if you as the player gets more out of it, then that will come through, that will make it better for you :)

Woodyworld likes this.
  10. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

So, to summarize for us outsiders of the Dumble world:
    • Dumbles sound objectively better than anything else. It's not a matter of opinion.
    • You're not allowed to disagree if you haven't been in a room with a Dumble.
    • If you have been in a room with a Dumble, you're not allowed to disagree unless you've played a Dumble.
    • If you've played a Dumble, you're still not allowed to disagree because there are many Dumbles and they're all slightly different. The best sounding Dumble isn't the one you played.
    • Clones can't sound like a real Dumble, even if the circuit is exactly the same, because magic. If you had a real Dumble, you'd clearly know that.
    • If you've played and heard many different Dumbles but you don't think they're magically better than everything else, it's because your ears aren't sophisticated enough to hear the subtle differences that the Dumble lovers enjoy.
    Does this sum it up fairly? Now let the cork sniffery continue. I'll go back to my cave and enjoy my non-Dumbles with the rest of my knuckle-dragging brethren.

westmike, Blix, TEPR and 8 others like this.
  11. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

And that should be all that counts - no matter what the set up. If you've found a tone that allows you to express what your hearing and feeling with no barriers then that's utopia.

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

TRUTH !!

13. PedalFreak

That's pretty much it, wont say exactly it, because you may not have added something that hasn't been stated yet :D

Seth L likes this.
  14. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

Right on - I can understand that; the low end is definitely lacking in 98% of the "klone" pedals out there. Thank you for clarifying, and not derailing the thread (nor will I as that is a discussion for the pedals forum)...

15. Seth L

Seth L Member

That's about the size of it.

[​IMG]

16. Seth L

Seth L Member

A lot of people think the klones are better. The Klon pedal follows the same rules as the Dumbles as stated in post 272.

17. plumberstrummer

Dude - I'm one who feels that way about certain klones, and I have a Klon. Read my post; the Manticore is better! I prefer it; it is just as good at the Klon as the Klon, and has an additional distortion. Way more usable, IMO.

Other klones are alright as well, especially if you get them modded. But again, I do NOT want to derail this thread (though it is already too late for that, and it's well on it's way out. Why do you guys constantly want to force a Klon discussion into the Amps and Cabs section? Respect the topic.)

18. Seth L

Seth L Member

It's the same symptoms. The same disease. I like my Archer just the way it is. It doesn't need any modding.

19. plumberstrummer

Wasn't thinking of the Archer; I was thinking of the soul food. That being said, the archer is great in it's own right, but it is not EXACTLY the same as the klon, side by side. Do I care? No. I have an Archer, I have a modded soul food, and I have a number of other "klones". They are all a little different, and that is just fine by me. I don't want a bunch of the exact same pedal, and each one is perfect in it's own right. But again, not in this thread...

EDIT: NONE of this is about better or best, we are talking about different shades of good.

Grant Ferstat likes this.
  20. Seth L

Seth L Member

I've heard people say the Archer is more useful because you can't run the gain up on the Klon without it farting out. That was from a Klon owner.

We took quite a little side trip about mics there for a while, so I'm thinking this is OK too.