• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

TCMx3

False. I personally know this from talking to and dealing with several of the best builders out there, and playing their amps next to original Dumbles, including several in A/B situations with the Dumbles they were directly cloned from.
is 100% of your ego invested up in your ownership of a dumble and a very exclusive clone or is only 95%?

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
So glad I don't like the "Dumble" sound! Saves me millions of dollars & leaves me to toil in the muck with all these crappy vintage Fenders & Marshalls!

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
So glad I don't like the "Dumble" sound! Saves me millions of dollars & leaves me to toil in the muck with all these crappy vintage Fenders & Marshalls!
If you did like it, you could get all of the sonic satisfaction of a Dumble for much less these days. But you won't get club membership.

hunter

lowyaw

Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

When it comes to Dumbles most of us are like teenagers with posters of a Lamborghini and a girl in a bikini thumb tacked to our bedroom walls.

Lamborghini = hot car we're never gonna own. It's kinda useless for hauling boards from Home Depot and it won't tow a boat, anyway.

Bikini Girl = way out of our league. I had me one of those when I was a young feller. She moved back to California rather than putting some clothes on when the weather turned cold.

Dumble Amp = kinda useless for hauling boards from Home Depot and it won't tow a boat. At least it won't leave me and move back to California.

Or like participating in a summit of the International sommelier guild. They'd be talking about years, palates, after taste, body and acidity, and I'd be like "Dear God, I thought this stuff was only meant to get you wasted?"

71strat

While mines not a Dumble, I have used the Ethos, and while a nice pedal, sounds nothing like my amp.

Ive got a Blackfaced x 69 Dual Showman Rvb head.

I had Richie Hall, ( Friend and Neighbor of 45 years ) completely go over it, and do an ODS Mod, on the 1st Channel. Its switched on x using the Bright Switch. He also installed a really nice Master V, that seemingly affects the sound 000. I also unhooked the Rvb/Tremolo, and use a Barber Launch Pad to correct Phasing so I can Channel Jump. Amp also has all NOS tubes.

I also got the Old Friend price for the mods. $85. Not counting self supplied NOS tubes. I felt guilty. He also likes the amp so much that he told me if I ever got rid of it, he wanted to be the 1st on the list to buy it. But that was 6 years ago, and probably only 250 hours on the amp/tubes.

This amp, was my #1 amp from 73-2010. I did get a Fender Cyber Twin in 2001 for my grab, and go amp, and have used it since. Also the Altecs were my #1 speakers from 73-2010.

Didn't Dumble originally use Fender amps and modded them ????

But Richie is very well known on many forums, ampgarage, Marshall 18w, and is 1 of the most knowledgeable guys on the Watkins Dominator.

He and his brother Dana supply Hi Tone with VVR, and Dana also was the 1st to come up with VVR Kits.

Dana was personal friends with Ken Fischer, and spent time at his home. They were very good friends.

Just to give an insight to who modded my amp, and some of their history.

I also don't claim this is a Dumble ect, only an inspired Dumble/ODS circuit, from a very knowledgable person.
With the Bright switch off, it still has the great Fender Cleans, and about the same volume output. Is very harmonically rich, with great note definition.

With the ODS mod on, it turns it into a Fire Breather, with huge gain, and feedack can be dialed in even at low volumes using the really good MV. This is also before any channel jumping, which I wont get into.

Its now got the volume of a Hi Watt Dr103 if its cranked, which I haven't done. Its seemingly 6db louder than the DS in Normal Function. Im sure a lot of it is perceived, as the frequency response/eq/gain has been drastically changed. But its way louder, huge gain on tap, Is thicker clean vs my stock Showman, before mods, and sounds 0 like any Fender amp Ive ever heard. Except when clean.

I also often run it with an 8 ohm speaker for some volume reduction, but its still brutally loud. If I use it with 1 speaker, I use a Hemp Coned JBL E120, in a tuned ported cabinet, made for the E120.Celestion. 1 x 12 150w Redback G12H. I will also sometimes use 2 x 15 Altec 418H, 2 x 1 x 12 HC 120s, or 2 x Celestion Creams, 4 x 10 Fane AXA10s.

I still prefer my LTD ED Metro GMP45 head, and the same speakers as above, and pedals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tag

Boxcar Wookie

Why should it matter to you? Aren't you already a member?

hunter
No. I don't own any Dumbles or clones. I have no desire to be in your imaginary club either.

I've had the pleasure of playing both. I can't in good conscious say a clone sounds like a Dumble. At least the ones I've played.
It matters to me because I'm curious if your post is backed by anything other than your fingers on a keyboard.

Last edited:

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
No. I don't own any Dumbles or clones. I've had the pleasure of playing both. I can't in good conscious say a clone sounds like a Dumble. At least the ones I've played. It matters to me because I'm curious if youre statement is backed by anything other than your fingers on a keyboard.
So you never owned a Dumble?

hunter

Woodyworld

While mines not a Dumble, I have used the Ethos, and while a nice pedal, sounds nothing like my amp.
Ah that's interesting.
Have to say the opposite is true for me. Ethos is the only pedal I've had that comes anywhere near the Bludotone's I have for feel and drive tones. The amps are of course better - But I can use the Ethos with other clean amps and feel comfortable 99% of the time.

Very Interesting read on your amp :)

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
To get back to the OP for a moment, Robben told me that the Dumble is his voice. The guitar is actually the less important part of the equation. Not that the guitar doesn't matter -- Robben is quite particular in that regard -- it's just that it could be one of any number of guitars.

The thing that a Dumble, or a good D-style amp, does is give you a much broader range of volume & projection levels at which you feel like you're hearing the whole amp and hitting the sweet spot when you play. Typically with a Fender you have to have a bunch of them in order to use them at the (fairly narrow) sweet spot in different applications. Plus with the Dumble you've got a nicely tailored (and tailorable) overdrive channel, and a lot of ability to dial the amp in for your particular needs, especially if you play a lot of different guitars.

That last bit is an important part of what Kimock was after when he had Bill Krinard (of K&M/Two-Rock) build his signature amp. Which is, more or less, based on the 50-watt Dumble he's owned for years. Kimock uses everything from acoustics (an old L-7 with a DeArmond pickup; a Regal laptop slide acoustic; a faux-National that he plays fretless) to the famous White Strat & Explorer (which are very different in terms of how they drive & react to the amp) to a classic L-5CES to all kinds of other guitars with every manner of pickup and electronic scheme. That's why a more-or-less exact copy of his amp works for me too.

That said, I've had great results recording with my simple old 1955 tweed Deluxe. The right old Fender is always a viable choice AFAIC.
Well said. My Dumble and Quinn give me satisfying tones right down to below talking levels. Shad did not believe it when I use to post it about the Dumble, but when I flew him here to clone it, it was the first thing that knocked him out about the amp. He was playing at such a low volume he had to stick his ear next to the cab and it was STILL singing like a bird! No buzziness. The Crystal lattice man strikes again! He knows his $hit, you cant deny it.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I have the pleasure of playing several at a friends studio and previously.

Are you able to answer my question now?
Never owned one huh?

Plenty of options available. I am pretty sure you already know exactly what they are. No point in arguing about it. Some folks should probably just stick with Dumble.

hunter

Boxcar Wookie

Never owned one huh?

Plenty of options available. I am pretty sure you already know exactly what they are. No point in arguing about it. Some folks should probably just stick with Dumble.

hunter
Have you owned one? I'm genuinely curious as I like the sound but don't have the money for a real one.

You made a statement but are not willing to back it? That seems strange. That's fine. I don't want to argue either. I got what I expected.

Tag

Ah that's interesting.
Have to say the opposite is true for me. Ethos is the only pedal I've had that comes anywhere near the Bludotone's I have for feel and drive tones. The amps are of course better - But I can use the Ethos with other clean amps and feel comfortable 99% of the time.

Very Interesting read on your amp :)
Its hard for me to fathom this. I had an ethos for years, and while its a good box, its not even in the stratosphere of my Dumble or Quinn. The Zendrive, Ethos, Simble and Mad Professor early sky blue overdrive are the best boxes I have found. The MP sounds amazing IF you plug it into a Dumble amp, but then whats the point??

Tag

Have you owned one? I'm genuinely curious as I like the sound but don't have the money for a real one.

You made a statement but are not willing to back it? That seems strange. That's fine. I don't want to argue either. I got what I expected.
Who are you asking?? You should quote the person so they know.

Trending Topics