Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mpcoluv, Jun 18, 2017.

1. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

is 100% of your ego invested up in your ownership of a dumble and a very exclusive clone or is only 95%?

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

$hit yea!!
    :dude:dude:dude

Abram4235 and kludge like this.
  3. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

So glad I don't like the "Dumble" sound! Saves me millions of dollars & leaves me to toil in the muck with all these crappy vintage Fenders & Marshalls!

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

If you did like it, you could get all of the sonic satisfaction of a Dumble for much less these days. But you won't get club membership.

hunter

5. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Or like participating in a summit of the International sommelier guild. They'd be talking about years, palates, after taste, body and acidity, and I'd be like "Dear God, I thought this stuff was only meant to get you wasted?"

Abram4235 and Seth L like this.
  6. 71strat

71strat Member

While mines not a Dumble, I have used the Ethos, and while a nice pedal, sounds nothing like my amp.

Ive got a Blackfaced x 69 Dual Showman Rvb head.

I had Richie Hall, ( Friend and Neighbor of 45 years ) completely go over it, and do an ODS Mod, on the 1st Channel. Its switched on x using the Bright Switch. He also installed a really nice Master V, that seemingly affects the sound 000. I also unhooked the Rvb/Tremolo, and use a Barber Launch Pad to correct Phasing so I can Channel Jump. Amp also has all NOS tubes.

I also got the Old Friend price for the mods. $85. Not counting self supplied NOS tubes. I felt guilty. He also likes the amp so much that he told me if I ever got rid of it, he wanted to be the 1st on the list to buy it. But that was 6 years ago, and probably only 250 hours on the amp/tubes.

This amp, was my #1 amp from 73-2010. I did get a Fender Cyber Twin in 2001 for my grab, and go amp, and have used it since. Also the Altecs were my #1 speakers from 73-2010.

Didn't Dumble originally use Fender amps and modded them ????

But Richie is very well known on many forums, ampgarage, Marshall 18w, and is 1 of the most knowledgeable guys on the Watkins Dominator.

He and his brother Dana supply Hi Tone with VVR, and Dana also was the 1st to come up with VVR Kits.

Dana was personal friends with Ken Fischer, and spent time at his home. They were very good friends.

Just to give an insight to who modded my amp, and some of their history.

I also don't claim this is a Dumble ect, only an inspired Dumble/ODS circuit, from a very knowledgable person.
    With the Bright switch off, it still has the great Fender Cleans, and about the same volume output. Is very harmonically rich, with great note definition.

With the ODS mod on, it turns it into a Fire Breather, with huge gain, and feedack can be dialed in even at low volumes using the really good MV. This is also before any channel jumping, which I wont get into.

Its now got the volume of a Hi Watt Dr103 if its cranked, which I haven't done. Its seemingly 6db louder than the DS in Normal Function. Im sure a lot of it is perceived, as the frequency response/eq/gain has been drastically changed. But its way louder, huge gain on tap, Is thicker clean vs my stock Showman, before mods, and sounds 0 like any Fender amp Ive ever heard. Except when clean.

I also often run it with an 8 ohm speaker for some volume reduction, but its still brutally loud. If I use it with 1 speaker, I use a Hemp Coned JBL E120, in a tuned ported cabinet, made for the E120.Celestion. 1 x 12 150w Redback G12H. I will also sometimes use 2 x 15 Altec 418H, 2 x 1 x 12 HC 120s, or 2 x Celestion Creams, 4 x 10 Fane AXA10s.

I still prefer my LTD ED Metro GMP45 head, and the same speakers as above, and pedals.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Tag likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Speaking of strange creators, ever heard of one of the weirdest ones ever? Dude's names is Nikola... (looks at Avatar).... never mind. :rolleyes:

8. Boxcar Wookie

Boxcar Wookie Member

Really? Where?

voodoosound likes this.
  9. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

did someone work out the air pressure thing?

TEPR likes this.
  10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Why should it matter to you? Aren't you already a member?

hunter

11. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

Yes; I meant sound pressure, but was referring specifically to the movement of the air by the speaker, and not using technical terms. (see post #68 and on...)

12. Boxcar Wookie

Boxcar Wookie Member

No. I don't own any Dumbles or clones. I have no desire to be in your imaginary club either.

I've had the pleasure of playing both. I can't in good conscious say a clone sounds like a Dumble. At least the ones I've played.
    It matters to me because I'm curious if your post is backed by anything other than your fingers on a keyboard.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

So you never owned a Dumble?

hunter

14. Boxcar Wookie

Boxcar Wookie Member

I have the pleasure of playing several at a friends studio and previously.

Are you able to answer my question now?

15. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Ah that's interesting.
    Have to say the opposite is true for me. Ethos is the only pedal I've had that comes anywhere near the Bludotone's I have for feel and drive tones. The amps are of course better - But I can use the Ethos with other clean amps and feel comfortable 99% of the time.

Very Interesting read on your amp :)

16. Tag

Well said. My Dumble and Quinn give me satisfying tones right down to below talking levels. Shad did not believe it when I use to post it about the Dumble, but when I flew him here to clone it, it was the first thing that knocked him out about the amp. He was playing at such a low volume he had to stick his ear next to the cab and it was STILL singing like a bird! No buzziness. The Crystal lattice man strikes again! He knows his $hit, you cant deny it.

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Never owned one huh?

Plenty of options available. I am pretty sure you already know exactly what they are. No point in arguing about it. Some folks should probably just stick with Dumble.

hunter

18. Boxcar Wookie

Boxcar Wookie Member

Have you owned one? I'm genuinely curious as I like the sound but don't have the money for a real one.

You made a statement but are not willing to back it? That seems strange. That's fine. I don't want to argue either. I got what I expected.

19. Tag

Its hard for me to fathom this. I had an ethos for years, and while its a good box, its not even in the stratosphere of my Dumble or Quinn. The Zendrive, Ethos, Simble and Mad Professor early sky blue overdrive are the best boxes I have found. The MP sounds amazing IF you plug it into a Dumble amp, but then whats the point??

20. Tag

Who are you asking?? You should quote the person so they know.