Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mpcoluv, Jun 18, 2017.

1. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

Yeah, me too. I was just trying to be "open minded", given the price range...

Tag likes this.
  2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

i guess that's why the od dlx costs more.

voodoosound likes this.
  3. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I just had Bill build me a custom amp. No pcb anywhere. I think maybe knowing for sure is the right way to go before making statements. That should be the number one rule when posting in threads. Especially regarding peoples Dumb le experience.

jnovac1 likes this.
  4. plumberstrummer

I stand fully corrected. Seriously; I looked at the site, and I read the tech info section, and he states openly the PC thing. You are completey right, I should be careful; I repent in sackcloth and ashes... Thank you.

voodoosound and jnovac1 like this.
  5. voodoosound

Lol. my apologies. I didn't mean for that to come off harsh. I meant it more as overall tone for this and other similar threads. Actually, your posts in this thread have been not without merit. Many in the thread really have no insight or any real educated opinions. Basically just talking out of their ass.

plumberstrummer likes this.
  6. plumberstrummer

Well, I appreciate the feedback about not posting unless you are 100%, and respect your opinions around here as well. I do try to watch what I say, and even check up on it before I post, but even reading up on the very website is apparently not enough sometimes. Considering that, I should err on the "not saying anything" side; better safe than sorry...

I did not know that Sebago did custom amps - is it a Dlx? How are you liking it?

voodoosound likes this.
  7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agree with that. Dumble is known for using some parts other people think are junk. Mine was no exception, and it was hard to find some of them, but we did it!

8. voodoosound

Nope. Got the deluxe last time. I've never played the real deluxe but this thing has EXACTLY what I like to hear in a great Dumble. Has the very similar attributes and feel. The amp I just received is a bigger amp. I do have a Dumble unit to compare it to. I'll just say it's damn impressive.

9. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

While Tesla was a genius, a little research will show you that Einstein never said this, or at least there is no evidence that he ever did.

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

We're on TGP. What the heck does "evidence" have to do with anything we say around here?

Mr. Bertha, sabby and tenchijin2 like this.
  11. jujube

jujube Member

Is it a bigger version of the Overdrive circuit or an entirely different circuit?

voodoosound likes this.
  12. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I would want the lush clean tone and then the Marshall thing. The fusion type overdrive Dumble tone is not my overdrive sound. Really the clean tone I hear from dumbles are most impressive.
    Who knows, maybe if I played one, I would love the typical overdrive sound. The pedals don't do it for me.

13. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

If you want that combination of elements, I recommend checking out Carol-Ann amps. The OD2 series, in particular. The overdrive has much more of a "Marshall" flavor, which makes sense as the builder, Alan Phillips, is a Brit.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]
    Agree with this on the overdrive tone, but the cleans on the CA are thin and plinky. Side by side with a Dumble 2 CAs were destroyed, both clean and in overdrive. A Fuchs that was there was much, much closer.

15. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Keep saying negative things about amps I built a decade ago because every time you do, more of that model seem to sell. I'll end up having to pay you commission. :)

16. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Agree with this on the overdrive tone, but the cleans on the CA are thin and plinky. Side by side with a Dumble 2 CAs were destroyed, both clean and in overdrive. A Fuchs that was there was much, much closer.[/QUOTE]

Tag: My offer still stands to visit the shop and play the newest stuff. Bring your Quinn or whatever you like, your favorite guitars. We can put on some coffee or sip some cold beers and have fun. Bet @scottl would come up on a Saturday or Sunday even.

Dave_C likes this.
  17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Since when does "dialing up the power amp volume" show the difference between PCB vs PTP ? That's news to me, and I'm sure others as well.
    Ironically, D*mble's doing Ultraphonix with a PC board in them, so clearly he may not feel it's a factor. Not looking for an argument, but do tell...

18. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

Well, you see, the EMF given off by the wider traces (and different material) is much stronger than the EMF given off by a good PTP build. This stronger field causes component drift at a molecular level and causes porosity in the solder joints, which the low frequencies get stuck in... :sarcasm

tenchijin2 likes this.
  19. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

You are in TGP.....a place where the laws of physics are replaced by the laws of badly researched internet BS and of course agenda and passive aggressive trolling.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Stu Blue, Dave_C, Mr. Bertha and 4 others like this.
  20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Jesus, seriously man.

Dave_C, Mr. Bertha and Tag like this.