Observation from reading tons of Dumble threads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mpcoluv, Jun 18, 2017.

1. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Not my experience with CA. I own an OD2 and OD3r, and the clean sounds are anything BUT thin and plinky. Big and brassy is more my experience, which is over a period of years (I've owned the OD2, which was originally Eric Johnson's, for nearly 10 years now) and plenty of gigs. Lots of hours in on both amps.

The only Dumble experience I have (well, discounting being in the studio last week with Robben and his, or being in a small venue sitting right in front of Sonny Landreth's, i.e., only considering actually playing the amp myself with one of my guitars) is with Kimock's 50-watter, his main one. My K&M "Kimock" amp is pretty close to that overall -- note that mine isn't stock, it's been modded a few times (by Bill K) with the same tweaks Kimock had done to his own amp -- and relative to the CA amps nothing "destroys" anything. Just different flavors of good. Overall I think the OD2 is bigger and bolder, with more headroom than the K&M, or Kimock's Dumble for that matter. Maybe not quite as sweet though. Just kinda depends on the application as to which I prefer.

plumberstrummer, ROKY and Woodyworld like this.
  2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

6 months ago my buddy stopped by with his fully updated od2. Was slightly interested in my 2001 emerald pro. 30 minutes of demoing side by side, the emmy left with him, ca gone. He is a cleam freak like myself, and says the emmy stands toe to toe with his large vintage fender collection. I agree. The CAs are not BAD, but not near as good as a Dumble, never mind Two rocks older cleans which I find better than Dumbles. Everyone should always try all these amps themselves side by side uf possible and make up their own mind. Thats what I did.

3. Tag

Here you are in another Dumble thread!!! The guy who wants nothing to do with anything Dumble. Lol! I always call them as I hear them, and I have steered many in your direction who want some Dumble flavor with more agression. Your amps do that, I have never said otherwise. Do they do the Dumble thing like a Fuchs or Tworock? No. But now you can tell me yet again how you are an ENGINEER, so your amps have to sound better than anyone elses, and your engineering is more important than someones ears. :aok

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. Seth L

Seth L Member

Amen. Any Dumble thread is chock full of BS. Makes for entertaining reading, though.

PedalFreak and tenchijin2 like this.
  5. Tag

Always. You know why? Because 95% of the people posting in them have never even played a SINGLE one, but they are experts on it!!

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The 100w ODS that Carter's had for $110 a couple of years ago did a thing where the clean channel, with hum buckers, would grab a note and hold it basically anywhere on the fretboard, without it being distorted and without losing the attack on the note. THAT'S what I'm looking for in a clone-I've owned a few versions of Fuchs, Carol-Ann, Mesa and a few other cascading preamp type amps and played a bunch more, and that's the only amp that's ever done that as well. Second best may well be the Musicmaster Bass amp I just got. Anyway, does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do any of the clones mirror that particular behavior?

Oh, and worth mentioning that the 50w ODS that Dave's had in the 90s DIDN'T do the same thing.

Boxcar Wookie likes this.
  7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Let's not forget that guitar amps on these levels of refinement will show the player and guitar brutally clearly.

I distinctly remember ScottL playing an ODS at one of Loni's NY amp shows and then handing you that exact same guitar and the whole rig sounding completely different ! It was one of the most amazing examples of "tone in the hands" I ever witnessed....The amp/guitar/speaker "rig" includes the player for sure.....

Dave_C, PedalFreak, jnovac1 and 2 others like this.
  8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I owned one of your first OD100s from 2006-2007. You later said you weren't happy with that amp first version and all. I can tell you at the time. I had several two rocks, my first bludo came in a glaswerks, an early Bruno Super 100 and I played a couple amps from a builder whos name I wont mention because I despise. That was late 2007. Out of that group. I kept your amp the Glaswerks and the Super. I kept that amp up until 2013 when I sold it to purchase another Dumble. I wish I still had that amp. My experience does not reflect what Tag says at all. That amp had a great round clean. And an even better Overdrive. Sang like an Opera star. Everyone hears differently though. I recently played a friends 100 watt TR emerald pro that I sold him 2011. I remembered that amp being thick, smooth and just a blast to play. I hear it now and it sounds over compressed, wooly (not in a good way) and lacks note articulation Im used to in my Dumbes and Brunos. It just came back from being serviced and was functioning 100%. My point is. Your amps have been up there with my favorites Plinky is the last useless adjective I would use to describe your amps.

plumberstrummer likes this.
  9. Tag

What volume are you talking about? It could have been the position you were in relation to the cab. I have played around a dozen Dumbles and none of them would do that. At loud volumes yes, but so will many amps.

10. Seth L

Seth L Member

Your posts are some of the most entertaining, but I guess you know that.

"The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)"

Everybody's building the big ships and boats
    Some are building monuments, others jotting down notes
    Everybody's in despair, every girl and boy
    But when Quinn the Eskimo gets here everybody's gonna jump for joy

Oh come all without, come all within
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn
    Come all without, come all within

Oh you know I like to do just like the rest, you know I like my sugar sweet
    But guarding fumes and making haste, you know it ain't my cup of meat
    Everybody's out the trees, feeding pigeons all under the limb
    But when Quinn the Eskimo gets here the pigeons gonna run to him

A cat's meow and a cow's moo to you know I, I could recite them all
    Just tell me where it hurts you, honey, and I'll tell you who to call
    Nobody can get asleep, you know there's someone on everybody's toes
    When Quinn the Eskimo gets here everybody's gonna wanna doze

Tag likes this.
  11. Tag

Subtract "some of". :dude
    Honesty always is.
    :aok

Rig James likes this.
  12. Seth L

Seth L Member

Don't want to harsh your mellow, but you've got serious competition. I've got to go check the air pressure in my pcb's so we'll have to talk a little later.

Tag likes this.
  13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It was at loud, small room level (playing in their 8X8 amp room, and not painful), using a Teye solid body. I was sitting in front of the 412 cab (Mesa?) angled a little to the side. I've got dozens of amp, and have owned hundreds and the only other amp that's been close to that "hang on to a clean note" thing was a Kendrick Climax Trainwreck (my JM Trainwreck, my Rubywreck and similar amps don't do it). I thought it was weird because it didn't sound compressed or saggy, just held the note.

14. muchXS

muchXS Member

Cleams are tasty. Yoysters 'r' better. :cool:

15. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I said you give exposure basically and weirdly its true, I'm not complaining. I never said anything negative at all about you and as for the rest about being an Engineer, you've just extracted something from a completely different conversation from weeks ago that doesn't fit the context of this exchange whatsoever. I'm not wanting to get in to any D BS debate with you or anyone on here. Andy invited you to come down to do some D-style tone fest, surely that's much more down your alley than debating with me. Keep it positive, keep it in the real world and play some amps.
    Bottom line...You tried an amp or maybe two (whatever was in Buzz Levines shop at the time) about 11 years ago, you didn't like it. I'm amazed you are even still talking about it actually.

On a different note, I will say I am enjoying the Dumble modified/rebuilt Marshall I have here right now more than any ODS I've ever played. Probably not your thing though.

Mr. Bertha and voodoosound like this.
  16. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Is the Fuchs close in some way? I ask that because I played a pair of Dumbles once, and then a few years later got a Fuch ODS 100 HRM, and I really didn't feel it was anything more than a similar style amp. FWIW, the cleans on my Fuchs are head and shoulders above any other amp I've played, ever, over 40 years. Just solid, forward, tightly springy, without grit, and infinite headroom. Actually, I rarely ever use the OD on it, but maybe that's because I don't really lust after the Dumble lead sound. I'm kind of a Mesa Mark man when it comes to leads.

I recently picked up a Fuchs Train (which I have yet to rebias for EL34, so my experience is kind of limited with it) and there's a certain flavor and detail in the upper mids that is similar to the ODS. Obviously these are very different amps, but they have that same quality. I consider that to be the Fuchs 'signature', and why I'm reluctant to even bring it up in these kinds of threads.

17. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

To me, on every D Style I've played, and the 2 Dumbles I've played it's all the clean sound for me. The OD Channel I like more with the gain down, and using it more as a slightly boosted sound. Prefer a Zendrive in front of a D style instead of the amp of. The Dumble clean sound, IMO, is the perfected Fender clean. Much tighter sounding.

18. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Actually, I was using my Zendrive last on my Jim Kelley FACS, and the combination just smokes. My Train has 6V6's in it now, so maybe I'll try the ZD on it first before I rebias. Yeah, the Fuchs is a vastly reworked Fender clean. So maybe that's the D thing. Don't know. I'm not really an amp archaeologist.

Tag and PedalFreak like this.
  19. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

Let's be honest, a Zen into most any amp is awesome :aok

kafka likes this.
  20. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I mostly use the ZD as my 'splash' drive, without much output, although into the FACS I was using it to drive a lead tone. It's the only OD that I'll stack with another, because I can also use it on a clean tone to bring out some edge and shimmer. The ZD2 is a much more traditional OD.