Obsessed With The Mellotron!

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by jmp, Aug 4, 2019.

1. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

I played one of these last week at the Moog store in Asheville. It's a cool place where you can try out all of their current offerings on headphones, I had a lot of fun for about an hour playing with their current production line.
    Their Mellotron was definitely fun to play, easy to use, and really unlike anything else they offer on the showroom floor.. but I didn't know it was going for two grand!

I'm going to be the spoiler here and tell you what Rick Wakeman already knows: Mtron Pro by G Force software.
    The time and effort they have expended to sample original Mellotron tape libraries is impeccable.
    I love the Mellotron, and had the experience of playing and loading tape banks back in the day.
    The GForce emulations are exquisite, and I never use the word 'exquisite'.

jmp and Mosley like this.
  2. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

+1 for G-Force, the M-Tron Pro is incredible and they have an amazingly thorough library of sounds available with the expansions. The Arturia Mellotron V sounds spot on too. I have both, but end up using the G-Force more because there are more sounds.

gigsup likes this.
  3. delichef

delichef Member

Which expansions are good to get for MTronPro? I've been obsessing lately about the mellotron as well but I'm a total noob to it. I watch videos on youtube that run through presets on the 4000d mini (which sound amazing) and can't find those instruments in MTronPro.

A couple of examples: Pizzicato violins, Bass Clarinet, Acoustic Guitar, Slow Vibraphone...

Example videos:

4. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

I’m pretty sure the Streetly expansions have those same sounds, if you go through the G-Force website you can find the lists of which sounds are on each set if you want specific sounds...but honestly you’ll probably end up wanting to grab all of em eventually, so it makes the most sense to just get the whole Streetly collection because they discount it when you buy the whole set. The other expansions are all pretty specific to certain keyboards that are related to or similar to the Mellotron, like the Chamberlin and Orchestron. Another way to get the Streetly set is to grab the Streetlytron Pro app on the iPad, since it has all the sounds (except the SFX expansion). The iPad samples are lower quality, sound like mp3s probably to save space on the iPad...still incredibly usable though.

delichef likes this.
  5. delichef

delichef Member

Thanks for the Streetly tip, I picked up the bundle and it is indeed a great expansion for mtron pro and it's great having all the extra patches and sounds in the plugin.

That being said, I'm not sure it will cure my GAS for the 4000d mini. Something about the user interface and keyboard package is really appealing to me. Playing with the sounds in the mtron plug has only convinced me more that this is an instrument worth having. ;)

Mosley and Badtone like this.
  6. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

I have a real one (m400) here and since it was serviced by Streetly a few years back has had no problems whatsoever. It gets used a lot too. I don’t know what it is about it but it always seems to work with whatever we throw at it. I also have both the Streetly app and the Mellotron app which are both great but I’ve never used them instead of the real thing.

Mosley likes this.