• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

OC10 Crocodile Tail Loop, Who has one?

rshull07

Is it worth the $599? It looks like exactly what I need for my new pedalboard build but I dont know of anyone who has one or has used one in the past. I need a switcher thats MIDI capable for my TimeFactor and Space pedals. But I want more than 8 loops if possible.

Rumbeer

It does look really cool. Check out Tom Quayle's demo of this unit on the tube. That's definitely something I would look into down the line as my pedal board increases...especially switching between numerous kinds of drive pedals. This is also nicely demoed by Tom.

iggs

Just got one and so far it's been great, still finalizing which pedals to hook up and I gotta cleanup the wiring but my PT-Pro is almast ready. I have Timefactor hooked up via MIDI and RJM Mini Amp Gizmo as well that controls channel switching on my Bogner XTC ... worked as soon as I plugged everything in. (PS ... had to route MIDI in this way to work: OC-10>RJM>Eventide)

I really like that it saves presets on the fly and they can be easily changed by just pressing the loop button, great for doing it on the fly during jams or gigs.

I'm not using the BJF buffer since I have a LASD pedalboard interface. The unit seems sturdy and very well thought out and designed. I prefer the single row of preset buttons for gigs and 7 presets pretty much does it for me for anything I ever play, don't think I'll ever even need another bank.

Tuner mute is great and manual mode is excellent for being able to experiment and turn loops on/off by themselves. MIDI is off in this case but that doesn't bother me.

I was looking at Musicomlab and GLab too but happy I got this one, more loops then GSC-3 and more presets then Musicomlab, plus simpler operation for programming ... IMHO. Very well worth the $$$.

x-ray specs

Does the OC10 cut off your pedals that have a trails function when you switch off the loop their running on?

iggs

Does the OC10 cut off your pedals that have a trails function when you switch off the loop their running on?
Yes, as would any loop switcher that just routes the in-line signal through the loop.

However ... if you have a delay that is MIDI controllable, you can set it so it switches to bypass with a program change but still has trails ... I have my Timefactor running in the amp loop via Suhr Mini Mix II and MIDI control it with OC-10. Alternatively, you can also have a simple mixer (plenty of pedal sized ones available) that can mix the wet only effect with the output of the OC-10 and use one of the non in-line loops (8-10) as a send only, so when you turn it off, it cuts the signal to the effect but you still get the trails.

x-ray specs

Yes, as would any loop switcher that just routes the in-line signal through the loop.

However ... if you have a delay that is MIDI controllable, you can set it so it switches to bypass with a program change but still has trails ... I have my Timefactor running in the amp loop via Suhr Mini Mix II and MIDI control it with OC-10. Alternatively, you can also have a simple mixer (plenty of pedal sized ones available) that can mix the wet only effect with the output of the OC-10 and use one of the non in-line loops (8-10) as a send only, so when you turn it off, it cuts the signal to the effect but you still get the trails.
Thanks for the tips. :)

I don't know why most of the guys who make these switcher units don't incorporate a way to cut off only the incoming part of the loop (send), that way any of the loops could be set to allow trails of your delay/reverb or other effects. Even an effect pedal that didn't have trails could then have the effect due to the switcher. My carbon copy would finally have trails lol.

iggs

Thanks for the tips. :)

I don't know why most of the guys who make these switcher units don't incorporate a way to cut off only the incoming part of the loop, that way any of the loops could be set to allow trails of your delay/reverb or other effects.
You're welcome ... :beer

I think the reasoning is simple, that would involve having a line mixer for every loop, which would complicate the circuitry and make it costly to produce so a unit like that would cost much more then the current ones do ... would be an amazing feature for delays and reverbs but cumbersome to implement.

Would be a great feature to have on one or two loops tho!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It's actually counter to the philosophy of a true bypass looper. Having the circuitry hooked up to the output means that the impedance of the signal reflected back is slightly different, can cause loading and a loss of tone. You could certainly try it with a box, couple of jacks and a switch and see if you noticed a difference in sound, but that's why it's generally not done.

yerbluesrob

Silver Supporting Member
I had Dan at This1smyne make me a looper that had trails, actually it was an "x-box" that would switch back and forth between two of my delays and let the delay trails continue. But yes, technically I don't believe it is a "true bypass" looper. I'm actually not using it anymore if anybody is interested in taking it off my hands.

fedor4tw

You're welcome ... :beer

I think the reasoning is simple, that would involve having a line mixer for every loop, which would complicate the circuitry and make it costly to produce so a unit like that would cost much more then the current ones do ... would be an amazing feature for delays and reverbs but cumbersome to implement.

Would be a great feature to have on one or two loops tho!
I have emailed many manufactures about this exact feature and have gotten the same response from every one. On the not custom audio electronics informed me that they would install such components to their pedal switching systems free of charge. I was all but ready to go for it when I found many forum threads which talked about the companies lack of professionalism, mainly in the form of being ripped off. I cant prove that there is any truth behind these threads which is why I began to look into other companies. Again I am not saying that I have personal bad experiences with CAE but I am not in a position to risk $600 to $800.

ChaseTMP

What is the manufacturer's website? I was turning anything up with a One Control FX Google search.

paulg2uk

Voodoo labs 4x4 or PP2+ with current doubler cable running from output 5+6
Many thanks for the reply. I already have a PP Mondo powering my strymon stuff and a few others. I could add a PP2 + under my pedaltrain and run an ac cable from the mondo's ac courtesy jack that would make sure everything is powered correctly.

paulg2uk

One other thing I thought I would ask. Has anyone had any experience using the Strymon Time Line and the Mobius together with the one control via midi connecting up etc and making it work?

I contacted one control and they advised me that the oc-10 will only send a program change message and to leave a couple of blank presets to bypass patches if necessary. It won't be able to change patch values.

iggs

One other thing I thought I would ask. Has anyone had any experience using the Strymon Time Line and the Mobius together with the one control via midi connecting up etc and making it work?

I contacted one control and they advised me that the oc-10 will only send a program change message and to leave a couple of blank presets to bypass patches if necessary. It won't be able to change patch values.
Not Strymon but I have my Eventide Timefactor and RJM Mini Amp Gizmo hooked up together and works perfectly. When I switch patches on OC-10, it switches them on RJM and Eventide so I just have to save presets on those units for each of the patches ... real simple.

I had to hook it up like this:
OC-10 > RJM > Eventide

Not sure why but going to Eventide first and then into RJM didn't work.

paulg2uk

Not Strymon but I have my Eventide Timefactor and RJM Mini Amp Gizmo hooked up together and works perfectly. When I switch patches on OC-10, it switches them on RJM and Eventide so I just have to save presets on those units for each of the patches ... real simple.

I had to hook it up like this:
OC-10 > RJM > Eventide

Not sure why but going to Eventide first and then into RJM didn't work.
Many thanks for the post.

Excellent that's what I wanna do eventually. I probably will use my RJM amp gizmo with my boogie mark v to switch channels. This new board I'm setting up is gonna be used with 2 amps but not at the same time. My mark V for full on gigs and my mini rec for small gigs etc but I'd still wanna use the same pedalboard.

Do you use only one eventide pedal with the oc-10? I just wondered how it coped with 2 midi pedals at the same time.

iggs

Do you use only one eventide pedal with the oc-10? I just wondered how it coped with 2 midi pedals at the same time.
Only use one for now, haven't tried it with more .... should work with as many as you want since it's just sending a program change and as long as the pedal itself is pushing the program change to the MIDI out/thru it should work.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom