OCD/AC Booster/or Z-Vex Box o' Rocks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by catherinef, Oct 10, 2006.

1. catherinef

catherinef Member

I've heard great things bout all these overdrives. Is there anyone whi has experience with all three and can tell me the most versatile of the bunch? Or if you strongly--either positively or otherwise--for one of these (or even another model not mentioned), I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

2. peequin

peequin Member

I've owned two OCDs (v1 and v2), the BB Preamp (i know not the same as the AC) and now own the BoR.

I like my pedals to be dynamic when playing, and to sound very organic almost spongy. Tubish in nature and not harsh. What works for me won't work for you as there are many parts to the tone equation.

To my ears, the BoR is head and shoulders above the OCD and BB. It responds to pick attack, has many shades of dirt based on your volume knob. Can go from a AC/DC crunch to a glassy clean tone. It was the 'warmest' sounding of the bunch.

The OCD, while a great box, sounds a bit more sterile in comparison. Especially the newer version which didn't sound as good. The BB got me closer to what I wanted, but it didn't get raspy enough and didn't have enough gain. Although it was more dynamic and organic sounding than the OCD.

The BoR sounds best with a Marshall voiced amp. It's a very good clone of the pre/power amp section of a JTM45. You almost need to have a Les Paul type guitar with good Humbuckers to get the most out of this box. (I have a PRS McCarty with Bareknuckle pickups) This week I just upgraded my speaker amp with a Pre-Rola G12H Celestion clone from scumback.

OM fricking G ... the tones I am getting with the BoR are the best I have ever had. Classic Rock all the way.

3. erksin

erksin Member

How any of these things sound is pretty amp dependent - what are you playing through?

I've had experience with a v1 OCD and the AC Booster - they don't sound remotely similar IMO...

4. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey there - I've owened 2 of these and played the other.

OCD I personally didn't like at all - i tried and tied and tried after all the hype I'd read but ( my own) sanity remained intact and I passed. Tried it on a bunch of amps and guitars and just did not liek the sound of it - especially in teh light of other pedals.

I also owned an AC booster and booted it off the board, but lef tit's brother the RC booster which, to me, is a truly GOOD pedal. The AC was very Tubescreamer in sound for me - -and I am not a TS guy either.

BOR - I have played with extensively and was impressed - I love the Vex stuff.....it felt warm and dynamic and had enough ( what IS enough?) gain for my needs but at the same time didn't blow me away - which is what I wanted it to do......I will go back and give it another shot though as there are vex pedals that will never leave my board ( Super Duper 2 in 1, for starters)

In summary:
    OCD - no thanks
    AC Booster - if you want a Tscreamer type pedal - this is it but teh RC booster's a better deal IMHO
    BOR - nice, beefy, good response to attack and the volume knob

5. catherinef

catherinef Member

Erskin,

Thanks for responding to the thread. In response to your question, I'm playing through a Divided by 13 sjt 10/20. In a perfect world, I'm looking for an OD that will sound good with this amp as well as with a Marshall-voiced amp.

Thanks

6. erksin

erksin Member

What kind of OD tones are you going for specifically? That would be most helpful in narrowing down your search...

7. catherinef

catherinef Member

Looking for something that will add some grit to a basically clean amp,
    but that doesn't go as far as a tubescreamer in changing the tone.

8. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I haven't played any of the pedals mentioned, but I do have a BOR on the way. As far as what you want, it sounds like a timmy is right up your alley. I know it's a long wait but I think it's worth it. As far as other choices, I would look into a Barber LTD if you need something. The one that I would choose of those three would be the zvex BOR. I will know for sure once I play the BOR.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Well then, you want a Timmy...

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes I think that will do the trick!:dude

11. catherinef

catherinef Member

How different is a Timmy from something like a Keeley-modded BD-2?

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Another more readilly available alternative to the Timmy that is a touch smoother is the Menatone Red Snapper. Very similar, although I prefered the Red Snapper overall. Adds some grit, does not change the tone, great sounding pedal.

-Ben

13. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

it's Box of Rock.

plural, it's Boxes of Rock, or Box of Rock pedals.

just a little FYI. 8^)

14. DavidH

DavidH Member

Yeah,a Box o' Rocks would sound like crap.

15. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    As previously mentioned the OCD and AC Booster are not in the same category. I have both on one of my boards and use the AC for light overdrive and the OCD for distortion, of note I have a Timmy between them for the middle ground.

There is another thread on GearPage that compare the BOR to the OCD. Check it out.

TheGrooveking

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Got the OCD- Love it!
    Got the AC today- trying to discover it's value.

The RC or Timmy may be more what you're looking for outside of the OCD.

18. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

The COT 50 will get you there in style.

19. Amplite

Amplite Member

The Box O Rox will do what you need and more...Cleans up great and the boost is really cool! (thats "Box of Rock")
    Just playing with you Zac!