OCD Alternative?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onestop, Jul 15, 2006.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Thinking of unloading my OCD (v1) and have been looking at the Barber Small Fry and the Xotic BB Preamp.Looking for something with similar gain.

Any other suggestions?

...OH, I play Strats with Fralins through a Goodsell Super 17 1x12 combo and a Fargen Miniplex Combo 1x12 combo and a boat-load of pedals.

2. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

3. onestop

Thought about that. Here's a question....how does the OCD (v2) compare to the Xotic BB? Played a BB last week and thought it rocked!

Not to say that I don't like the OCD but here's my big beef with what I have....THE VOLUME! I can't seem to get the volume past 8:30-9am with getting my balance between the pedal being off and on out of whack!

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Both are outstanding pedals. Both are of the highest build quality and are durable. Both are similarly priced. Both are touch sensitive (the OCD more than the BB) and both clean up when you roll the guitar volume down.

The OCD with V2 mod has more gain than the BB, is slightly scooped but WAY better sounding than Vers 1, scooped isnt that bad really (it is certainly no tube screamer), gives that crunch and kerrang. Sounds best at higher volumes IMO, has two voicings which is great when switching back and forth between humbuckers/singles.

The BB has less overall gain, is also scooped and sounds best when the amp is at medium sound volumes, is more compressed sounding, is better for leads, has a nice clean boost feature (gain down/volume up).

Although they are similar, I like the OCD for rhythm, BB for leads...

both can be juiced up to the next level with an RC booster, a Bad Monkey and probably TS derived pedals in 'boost mode'. They both stack well.

5. onestop

Thanks dewman! That's kind of what I was looking for. I'm thinking that I either need to do the mod on my OCD or just dump it and pick-up a v2.

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

it is a pain in the ass to do the V2 mod with all that goop in there on the circuit board components...I was REAL careful with mine and it came out great, but took forever, several hours if I remember right. send it to Don Butler (the toneman) if you want it done for like 20 bucks. he is supposed to do a wonderful job. he is a great guy, helped me with a trannie installation once on a bluesbreaker. high class dude and way nice.

easier to pick up a new one if you are near a dealer. although I have to admit it was a fun DIY project...anyway, sounds great...I just bought a LP Special yesterday and actually will be selling mine on TGP and Ebay in addition to a few other pedals and an amp-gotta keep my wife happy so when something new comes in, somethig old better leave if you know what I mean, probably will list it tomorrow afternoon or evening. PM me if you are interested.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Why is that a problem? If that's where it's balanced, great. You have the rest of the range should you decide to use it for a volume boost someday.

FWIW, mine sits around 10 ish most of the time, and volume is right on par with the clean tone. I don't see it as a problem, just the way it works. I have to change volume settings when changing amp volumes, or using different amps, but I assume that's the norm for most people/pedals. I use OCD for rhythm in LP mode, and sometimes for leads with SHO (sometimes OCD, Timmy, and SHO) with a mostly clean Champ12 or Blue Angel.

8. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I had the BB and sold it. It has plenty of mids (not scooped at all), but it's less touch responsive, and there always seems to be a bit of the clean signal mixed in, and that bothered me after a while. It's also much smoother, the OCD has a more natural ampsound.
    I'm not even considering dumping the OCD, I might even buy a newer version (or a COT50)to go along with the one I have now, which I've set for low gain. I've tried the BB, a Barber Ltd and a couple of others, and the OCD's still the winner for me.

Jan

9. onestop

I hear you an using the rest of the range for a boost but I already have 4 boost pedals on my board :NUTS

Also, I tend to use the HP side....a bit fatter on a Strat. I really like the bottom end chunk that you get in HP vs LP.

Think I'll just look for a v2 and call it a day!

Thanks!!!