OCD and buffers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Young Dad, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Young Dad

Young Dad Member

I Have a OCDv4 and i really like how it sounds with no buffers before or after it. I would like to keep a buffer after it tho (an analogman TR2) and it really takes away from the tone of the OCD IMO. Has anyone else noticed this with the OCD and buffers? Any fixes or recommendations on similar pedals that would avoid this problem?

2. charless

charless Member

In my experience, the OCD MUST be before any buffers, otherwise you lose the dynamic quality of the pedal and the sound turns harsh. No good.

On my board I have the buffers placed after it, like you want to try, and while we agree it sounds better completely alone, it's not a real world situation. Buffers after the OCD thankfully are better than buffers placed before.

Buffers can be placed after the OCD if the quality is good (boutique pedal or MXR for instance) but I wouldn't exceed more than 3. The less the better IMO. I've found that a BOSS pedal (DD-2) completely brightened out the sound rendering the OCD utterly useless. I switched out th DD-2 with a Carbon Copy and it sounded way better. I would avoid BOSS pedals if you have an OCD in your signal chain. As a side note I have an MXR Flanger after my OCD and its buffer seems not to effect the tone of the OCD in any bad way.

In order to compensate for the brightness increase in the OCD due to the buffers after it, I use an MXR 10-band EQ and it works really great. I dial out the top end and it sounds pretty terrific.

3. Sikor

Sikor Member

I really don't like OCD with buffer in front of it, but after? No problem for me :dunno

4. zwieback-dude

zwieback-dude Member

I had problems with my OCD(v2) with an Electro Harmonix DMM and any engaged booster after the OCD. Everytime I turned the OCD and the delay or the booster on the overdrive sound got very harsh.. main reason why i sold my OCD :(