OCD and Power

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluescb, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bluescb

bluescb Member

I picked up an OCD (4/18/2005 date inside) from by brother in law.. I play thru a MazJr 2x10 and '76 SFPR and '76 SFSR and it sounded OK but a little brittle on top. Basically, nothing special. I use the Gain on 0 or 1/4 to just drive the front end. I decided to check the battery and it was low so I replaced it. MAN.... talk about a new pedal!!! Its just what I like. The tonal reproduction (especially the bottom) on these little suckers (compared to the compressed TS808) is UNREAL. Now the top is sweet. It's got just the right amount of grit so it still sounds like I'm playing thru a Tube amp and not a tube amp connected to a solid state pedal. I might try a 12V supply just to see. BOTTOM LINE, check your batteries in your pedal. :RoCkIn

2. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I wonder about this same scenerio with batteries even though I power them with a Voodoo PP2. My pedal board often times sits for hours in very cold weather or in the belly of a plane. It's got to zap the hell out the batteries. Therefore what effect does it have on the pedal?

3. improv4

improv4 Member

+1 on the fresh batteries; I'm in the works of getting a pedal boad together. I haven't tried the fulltone pedals with a power supply yet.

4. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

i use an OCD with a DC Brick power supply and i run it at 18v rather than 9v......sounds amazing.

5. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I have a couple of pedals that I use the PP II "sag" function on (BYOC Screamer and a Sans Amp Original). I set the voltage down to about what a real 9v battery is (8.6-8.8v). I can hear a difference. They seem warmer and less edgy. I also run my Dunlop Wah on about 8v. Kills the spiky toe down sound a little. Power really does make a difference!

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I use solar power, but my tone suffers a tad on cloudy gigs.

I was working on a hamster cage turbine power supply, but come to find out he only runs when for Bare Naked Ladies, whoda thunk it?

I have a pedal that powers up when you shake it. It's a modified Swollen Pickle.

I hooked up my klon to a bug zapper one time, and on a warm night I could get this great tone every time a bug died. The bigger bugs were reserved for solos of course. Used small mice for the extended Freebird version..

I can keep this up if need be.

btw great idea on the wah pedal mdd59!

7. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I run my OCD v3 at 18vdc...very cool!

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Thanks! I just found out that Teese adds a resistor in his Wizard (?) wah to change the tone. Lowering the volts really does change the sound!!

9. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

This pedal is so loud at a minimal pedal volume setting at 9v as it is. I haven't tried running it on higher levels of juice but I can't imagine what it would be like. Are you guys having to cut the pedal volume even further when running it at a higher voltage? Are you running at the HP or LP setting?

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

No, If I understand you correctly, were talking about less voltage. Dropping from the standard 9V to 8V will round out the highs and probably drop the overall volume a tad. More compression and less headroom may result. More V may not be suitable for some pedals or wahs as it may fry the buggers if they dont like it.

I thought the Box of Rock sounded better at 8.4V and the OCD at 12V. Most pedals will sound better at designed voltage due to being tuned that way off the bench. But other pedals like fuzzs sound great at low volts that simulate dying batteries ( lower voltage ) allthough I think the low voltage of a dying battery reacts slower and differently than a power supply at the same V. Insignificant. Power supplys are more consistent.

Id like to know if the klon would run at 12 volts....