OCD and Tubescreamer Stacking

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by maromad89, Aug 6, 2008.

1. maromad89

maromad89 Member

What do you think of this combination (Fulltone OCD and TS-808)? How would it sound? (And If you, by chance, have both pedals how does it sound?)

Do you think this combination can cover my style range (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Hendrix, Allman Brothers Band)?

2. improv4

improv4 Member

I stack the OCD w/ the FD-2 and the results are great. You'd probably get a similar scenario. I think most if not all those tones could be covered; especially if you threw a decent fuzz in there.
    Peace

3. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

i've had both...never stacked them together though...but my pops has them both currently on the board right now and they sound great stacked together...depending if you using the hp or lp...i prefer the hp myself...

+1 for the stack with the fd2 though currently using the same setup as previous post and I can't go wrong with it...

4. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

The FD2 is a great pedal to stack with another OD. It takes some tweaking in the chain and with settings to get it right. Currently, I'm taking this a little farther - I'm stacking an FD2 with a Rodenberg GAS 828 (TWO TS808 clones). Both pedals are dual-overdrive pedals. The Rodenberg also has a rocker switch on the 2nd 808 to make it a 909 (3x the gain). When engaged, it sounds like a Keeley TS9 with the baked mod. Obviously there is alot of unusable gain if the pedals are engaged with their typical settings. I've been playing with the CompCut setting on the FD2 though. In my trials, I'm using the CompCut setting with varying OD settings to vary the clean boost. I use the FD2 (1st channel) on almost all of the time. I then use the Rodenberg GAS pedal as my primary OD pedal - one set for a modest TS808 setting and the other for a more agressive OD (with the 3x gain rocker engaged). If I need it to go to 11, I can always kick in the 2nd stage of the FD2. Talk about a wall of sound. This is pretty good for getting 99% of the SRV/Hendrix like tones. Still much tinkering to do with levels and tone, but I'm closer than I've ever been to getting "the tone". I'll post a YouTube video when I get things just right to show you my amp and pedal settings.

5. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I'm stacking an OCD with a Cusack Screamer and it has always been very good to me. :)

6. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

i stack a keeley ts9 baked mod with an ocd. (ts9 first, ocd second). works for me, i can cover a ton of sounds with each individually, and the ocd makes for a good boost after the ts9 for a solo if need be.

7. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

I have both pedals as well, nd not yet used them together; so I'm quite intereste what you guys have to say.

Since I leave my OCD on for crunchy rhythm, and would step on the 808 (or other TS or od) for solos, which way is better? OCD > 808 or 808 > OCD ?

Intuititively, and only for the reason that the 808 is not true-bypass, I would put it after the OCD... but I'm sure great tones can be found the other way around as well.

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've stacked my OCD with three different kinds of TS type pedals.

1) Fulldrive
    2) Pedalworx Tejas
    3) Eternity

I've had great success with each one, so it really comes down to personal preference. I usually run the TS types (very low gain, high volume) into the OCD, which is usually set for moderate gain (12-2:00). When I kick the TS types on, it pushes the OCD into a thicker, more saturated tone that is just huge with incredible sustain. With that said, you do lose a bit of dynamics when it's set up like this, but for soloing, there's nothing better IMO.

9. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I finally put my Maxon OD-9 in front of my OCD. Holy crap -- it's the best stack I've ever heard! Actually, it's the ONLY stack I've ever liked! Amazing singing lead tones!

11. wbm68

wbm68 Member

You would need to mention what amp you use.
    E.g. if you use a Fender type BF amp you probably want the OCD first and then the TS-808 to get the mid boost. If you use something that does not have a scooped mid, like e.g. a Marshall, then you probably want to run the TS-808 into the OCD to fatten up the sound a little.
    Also depends if you set your amp clean, on breakup or already overdriven.

Nicobe likes this.
  12. br91

br91 Member

I put Tweed 57 with 1/4 gain linked into OCD @12v for good results.
    It also works good with some fuzz pedals, such as Scarab Deluxe low gain, but not all. Sometimes they need to be dialed back.

Plimsoul @ 12v is very good also, but I don't like how it stacks quite as well, but it is a top solo pedal.
    I am a little higher on Fulltone pedals at the moment.

13. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I've been interested in a FD2/OCD stack for a while now. I always have the OCD on, I could use the FD2 to boost for solos.
    But if I set the FD2 up to boost the OCD, would it still sound ok on its own into a slightly dirty amp?

14. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

I have been stacking these 2 pedals for a long time and love it. I use a twin reissue and set the OCD for a typical overdrive thing with all knobs around noon. The 808 is first and runs into the OCD. I have the 808 setup as a boost with the volume dimed and gain set to taste. Both of these pedals work great together. The OCD takes care of the highs and lows while the 808 takes care of the mids and thickens everything up.

15. h3yn0w

h3yn0w Member

I love stacking these pedals, usually for leads. But i think it only sounds good with low to moderate drive settings on each pedal. Otherwise it can get fizzy.

Play around with the order and see what you like best. Which ever pedal comes last will have the biggest influence on the tone and EQ.

I like the big mid boost that comes with the ts, so i run the OCD into he TS. I tried the other way but prefer the TS last, and usually kick it in for solo boost to really cut through.

16. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I stack my danelectro cool cat drive v.1 into my ts9, it's a great sound. Dano is set to fairly low gain, ts9 is set around 2-3:00 on all three knobs. I need to mess around with stacking the ts9 into the dano.

17. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Thread brought back to life, I'll play.
    I rarely "stack" in the sense of two levels of overdrive (unless we count the FD2's two clippings as such), but I do run an overdrive pedal into a clean boost. This weekend I'm looking at using two clean boosts: FB3 set for my neck pickup, then a second separate clean boost pedal for my bridge pickup. Thinking about doing my Keeley comp set just as a clean boost, or else running the OCD as a clean boost - one of the two. Either way, my chain would look a bit like this:

strat - FD2 - OCD - Comp - FB3.

Rarely is everything on all at once. Like I said, probably keep FD2 on all the time and switch back and forth from OCD or Comp, and FB3 as needed.

18. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I love using the OCD.
    I often just leave it on with the gain down low so it plays nice and clean and then gets dirty as I dig in. I used to have the FD2, and while it was a really good pedal, there was something that I just didn't connect with about it. So I sold it off, and went through a bunch of other pedals to see which I prefer to stack with the OCD. Found a bunch that worked well, but then recently I bought an SD-1 and have been running that into the OCD. Sounds AMAZING! It feels like a perfect match for solo work with lots of really smooth sustain.

I've heard there are a lot of similarities between the SD-1 and FD2...
    Makes me wonder if I should try out the FD2 again one of these days haha.

19. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Ha ha Pete, my situation is opposite of yours: I love the FD2 and it just seems to work for me in a way the OCD does not. lol Having said that, it just seems like teh FD2 works better live with a band than the OCD; meanwhile the OCD is better at home just jamming on my own, it seems to have a better OD tone at quieter volume levels. IDK lol. Anyway, might be time for me to try out my OCD again as my main OD. I guess it goes in phases.

And I can imagine the SD-1 and FD2 are similar. Same basic circuit for both IIRC.

20. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

It is kinda funny... I've heard a lot of people say how the FD2 really cuts through nicely live, and I don't disagree.
    But my experience was opposite of that. I really liked it at home and then when I tried it live it felt like my guitar disappeared!!!With the OCD my sound cuts through beautifully on stage. Weird. I suppose a lot of it is dependent on the other gear being used, and probably the venues played in. Most TS types just sound way too nasally in my setup for rhythm, but the compression and tone of the SD-1 works perfectly with the OCD in my setup for lead work.