OCD / COT50..drop a line

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey all,

I was wondering if you people could answer two things, that would help me tremendously.

Could someone please tell me what are the major distinct differences between the two, and (sorry, but I have to ask this becuase I can only buy one of the two.) If you had to choose bewteen the two, which one would you buy, and why????

I have wanted to ask this question for a while, but after reading alot about them both, I am confused due to the enormity of the feedback and info concerning both of them. I know that they are both very highly rated pedals
    So, bring it on, and give it to me straight.

Just for application info, I play a strat loaded with custom shop '69's, and the amp is a 1959 Super Lead Plexi reissue. ( I play alot of hendrix and power blues.)

I appreciate all of your time and efforts.
    Best Regards,
    Mass.

2. davebc

davebc Member

3. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

From what you say your style is, I think the COT would be a better fit to you.
    The OCD is a distortion pedal, maybe a little too much for what you need. The COT on the other hand will just help to push your amp into a nice OD.

4. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

+1 on that MOJOMAN!

5. Wooley

Wooley Member

I actually use my OCD with the drive at like 9 o'clock and the tone at noon, and it's just a slightly dirty boost. But the cleanest dirty boost I've ever heard. I use it with all my guitars, but I honestly think it makes my Strat sound otherworldly.

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Yes, yes these are great opinions and advice, I have listened to the clips, but alot of gear page members have advised me not to go by clips, hence the need for opinions.
    Right now, I am using a Jeckyll and Hyde red, running tandem with a Fulltone '69 fuzz.
    I am not opposed to distortion at all, I don't know how high the OCD or COT 50 delivers on the end of distortion...maybe someone could explain their different thresholds for me.
    The appeal to them both is the fact that they are both analog, which is desireable to me. I like to have that overdriven amp sound that was pointed out, but sometimes I like to get heavier as well.
    Maybe I need to know the degree of distortion to which they both deliver.
    Am I to understand that the OCD is more distortion, whereas the COT 50 is an overdrive? If so,help me to understand thier range of tonal delivery.
    Thank you for all the advice and opinions comming in, and more is welcome.
    Take care, and peace,
    Mass

7. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Mass,
    Yes the OCD has more drive on tap.....significantly more if I remember correctly. I personally was not a big fan of the OCD. On the other hand, the COT is great.
    But I think the way we could help you best is for you to tell us what you are looking for this pedal to do for you. Maybe neither of these is the correct pedal for you. They are quite different beasts and for that reason I wonder if there may be something better suited to your needs.

8. trucks

trucks Member

I just sold my OCD and ordered a COT50 Blue.

The OCD is a nice OD. I used it for chord work and not leads (not a great lead sound, IMHO) so mine would have benefited from the mods. After a while, all I could hear was the inter-modulation with double stops and power chords. It was not noticeable at first, but once you know it is there... My circuit board was too covered with goop for me to attempt the mods.

I have always loved the clips of the COT and been impressed with the numerous posts of satisfied users. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

9. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I have a COT50, a pre-mod OCD and I received a new OCD a few days ago. They're in the same family IMO when it comes to labeling them as ODs or distortions ... they both shoot for the cranked amp sound.

If I were to choose only one I would choose the new OCD for the following reasons:

- The COT50 sounds and feels great, but it is only useable *for me* with an amp that's already running out of headroom, i.e. loud, otherwise you get a significant volume boost from the pedal. With a clean amp, unless you're planning to have the pedal on all the time, you can't really switch between your bypassed signal and your effected signal without considerable volume differences. Also, it does have a great voicing but still it has only one tone setting. You said that you have a Plexi and it should work well with it but the pedal itself is on the bright side and may not match certain amps well unless you EQ the amp around the pedal.

- The OCD (both versions) have more gain on tap than the COT50 but also work very nicely at low drive settings ... in fact I think that they sound best at low drive settings (within the range of the COT50), and I even think that the older OCD works better for low drive. The COT50 will sound like a cranked old Plexi with a tad of fuzz added to it when set to max bias (it's a very Hendrixy pedal), but not high gain. The OCD will get more gain than that but will not get into metal territory IMO without it being boosted by another pedal or being run as a boost itself into an already dirty amp.

- The newer OCD has a more useable tone control (no piercing / harsh high end at settings past 12 o'clock), and the sound stays tighter throughout the drive range. It has more mids and slightly less bass than the original OCD but still retains it's character. Works great as both a rhythm and lead pedal. The original OCD works great as a rhythm pedal but IMO it needs some kind of EQ "enhancement" in order to work better as a lead pedal.

- The OCDs are also responsive / dynamic enough to be able to have them on all the time, and use the guitar's volume knob in order to clean things up, like you'd use the COT50.

Given that both the OCD, and COT50 are killer tonewise, if I had to keep only one, I'd choose the OCD for versatility (vol - tone - drive- LP - HP), and I'd choose the newer version over the older one.

10. Ned

Ned Member

id say go for the COT50, i have a fab 50 and usually leave it on all the time to sweeten up my sound and really make everything come alive...sort of like a pre-drive stage before my lead tone OD (eternity and soon zen) i do not have the OCD but i dout it reacts as well to your volume knob as well as the cot50...it just really gives you that uncompressed natural amp breakup plexi style :) and seans a pleasure to do business with from my experience

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

If you dig Hendrix, go for the COT. OCD is a wonderul pedal as well, my band mate has one and it sounds killer. So it's a hard choice. The differences are pretty well documented in this thread. For the record, I dont think that the COT has such a big volume boost when engaged, just right for me atleast, or what I normal use with drive pedals.

As said, COT does the Hendrix thing really well. From power ampish overdrive to pure Jimi Fuzz sound. Absolutely fabolous, very musical and unique. It also pushes other pedals like no other pedal I've ever heard. It has also really good classic rock AC/DC type of grind available.

OCD I think is more flexible, I think, it has more tonal options. You'd do yourself a favour to buy both.

BTW, COT cleans up really well with the volume pot and in that sense it's really flexible, in other ways then the OCD. I could imagine a skilled player (not me) doing a gig with just the COT, bias set quite high and the player controlling the sonic palette with the volume knob. You'd have a lots of places to go.

12. Randy

Randy Member

(Snipped)

That's not my finding at all with the COT50. I find very little volume increase even when the COT is dimed, maybe 2 db at most. When the bias knob is all the down it's at unity volume levels. Mine's dated 7/04 - maybe there have been some changes?

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+ 1! I have discussed this here earlier. Someone said that their COT has a huge volume increase and the volume increases as the bias knob is turned clockwise. This is not the case with my COT at all. A slight volume boost is introduced when the pedal is turned on, even with the bias at minimum. Sean has been able to tune it so though that it's just perfect, I wouldnt want to touch a thing. When you turn the bias knob clockwise it acts like a non master volume tube amp, only the gain is added after that point and there is not noticeable increase in volume..

I've had two COT:s, a 'burst one and a new one with the folded case and new artwork. Both had the same character, the only difference being that the new one had maybe less low cut, which I prefer..

Maybe there has been some changes?

I love my COT.. I keep it on almost all the time. It got it's quirks but that's part of the charisma.

14. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

mmmm I dunno, mine is from sometime in '04 also ... *through a pristine clean amp* it has a large volume boost with the bias knob past 12 o'clock. With the bias knob at 9 o'clock it's just over unity and works well as a slight boost / enhancer.

I do set my amps at the edge of breakup so I haven't got a problem with that ... I was just mentioning my experience with the volume issue in case the original poster sets his amp for a clean tone and needs close to unity volume to be able to swith the COT back and forth with his other pedals and the bypassed clean signal ... the 100W Plexi should have lots of headroom.

Anyway, a quick e-mail to Sean could clear this up before he buys in case he decides to go fot the COT.

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Get bot of them! Both are good value for the money and have a good resale value. If you don't like them ditch them. I predict you'll keep both though...

16. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

My COT definitely adds volume. Not a huge amount but I always left it on anyway. Usually just above the lowest setting on the bias knob.
    Sometimes higher on occasion.
    It adds some high end and volume and a bigness and clarity too.
    The clarity was less with the bias up high.
    It is great about cleaning up with the volume knob on the guitar for sure.
    I don't see it as a click on for solo type pedal.
    YMMV

17. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I just wanted to thank all of you for your time, efforts, and advice.
    I believe you have all answered my question and then some.
    Great job guys, and thanks again!
    Best regards,
    Mass

18. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

hey guys...how do you know if you have a old or new OCD?

19. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

The "new" ones are the ones with SN 4563 and higher.

20. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

people are moddin thehell outta the ocd now...can probably find one cheap