OCD & Fender amps, do they like each other?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPenn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

Is anybody using an OCD with Fender amps? I have read where lots of folks found the OCD too sucked in the mids and figured it probably wouldn't be a good match for Fenders. I haven't had a chance to mess with the OCD yet, but I've got a buddy that has one that says he'll let me borrow it for a week or so. I'll be running this into a Hot Rod Deluxe that has been modded with 6V6's and has a C12N in it. Thanks

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great with my Tone King Meteor II. I also tried it with my friend's Meteor I. Again, the results were great.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I was using mine with a 59 Bassman RI, it worked great with that amp!

4. onemind

onemind Member

I've used my OCD in front of....a Mesa, a Fargen, a Bogner Metro, and a Super Champ. Even tried it in front of my P.O.D., been friendly with them all so far!

S.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

When I had my OCD I found it to work as well with my Fender amp (74 Super) as it did with my Z and Germino. If you like the way your amp sounds cranked up to distort you'll like what you get from the OCD. I actually like to run a nice open clean tone then have the OD pedal fatten up my tone for soloing, so ultimately the OCD being very true to the amp's tone didn't work for me. I replaced it with a Xotic BB Preamp which (to me) has a similar feel to the OCD but fattens up the tone more.

6. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

I like it with my Bassman and Deluxe Reverb. Not so much with my Bandmaster or Showman. I prefer a Tube Screamer type pedal (mid hump) with the Bandmaster and Showman. It's not that the OCD sounds bad with those amps, it's just not ideal to me.

Peter

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I use the OCD with my Fender 57 Tweed Twin and the results are GREAT. I use the LP mode for the most part, but the HP mode sounds equally as good. I have run the OCD into the clean channel of a stock HRDX and I thought the high end "almost" sounded too bright or shrill. (the OCD DOES have "that" top end to it, which depending on what amp it's run through, can add some "sparkle" or sound shrill or fizzy. I have heard a HRDX with the 6V6 converstion and I think that would match up much better with the OCD than the stock HRDX.

Chuck

8. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I use both timmy and an OCD with my two Carr amps for drive and overdrive. The OCD makes a humble 28w single 12" Rambler sound convicingly like a Marshall. Yes, they work GREAT with Fender-type amps.

Gary

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

I only got to mess with a BB for a few minutes, but it seemed like it had a pronounced midrange. I've had lots of luck with TS-type pedals into Fenders, so I'm betting the BB sounds killer thru them.

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I use mine in front of a Fender blues jr. It sounds great! Harmonics and all the goodies at lower volumes.

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

My experience was the exact opposite. The OCD and the Rambler (12" and 15" versions) sounded kind of ratty together. I couldn't have the tone control above 9 o'clock without it being to raspy. Having the gain control above noon also made for pretty bad tone. On the other hand, the OCD and the Carr Hammerhead sound incredible together.

I was looking for a pedal to use with my '65 Princeton Reverb, but I don't think the OCD is the right choice for the voicing of that amp.

Bryan

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I used to have a Hammerhead. I would think that the OCD would sound killer with that amp! I am trading an OCD for a Hotcake and I can say that using it with a Voxy sounding amp was great at low volumes, but if you gig, you need more cut. I had my Tophat [CR] dimed in the mids and I had the OCD in the HP setting and I still could not hear myself [I use the amp cranked for overdriven and lead tones]. I am using a Treblebooster right now and I am cutting quite well. Nice pedals for recording and wanking at home, but IMO, that is about it. M.E.

13. mustangman

mustangman Member

i just picked an OCD up today at my local GC, i was so surpriced they had it, anyway im using it with a 73 twin reverb and it sounds amazing!

14. woofer76

woofer76 Member

I have been using a OCD in front of a DRRI with good results. I have had to turn the tone knob to 10 o'clock, otherwise it gets that ratty treble sound that everyone describes. It is a great Marshall imposter, and the voicing is quite different from my FD II.
    I usually goose it with my '69 , and get nice harmonics and edge. Oh yes, it definately sounds better when the tubes are pushed a bit (vol. at 4 and up). If I have to play quiet, I will use a Tone Press in front of the whole mess. I did have to work with the OCD at first, and actually wanted to get rid of it after my first impression. My classic rock stuff has a more authentic Marshall flavor now, which is exactly what I wanted. (with a Strat and Tele). I am.... :D