OCD Germanium

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bulbasaur_85, May 3, 2019.

1. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I got mine yesterday. I'm usually the guy to buy a pedal after liking the demo videos, putting it on my board for 30 minutes as I run it through my various amps, and decide it's not a keeper for me. This one is different. My first impressions were 'holy s&*t!'. Plenty of gain on tap, and has a very full body. A lot of OD pedals can get thin, but this thing is just juicy, like the harmonics aren't getting lost.

My real test for an OD pedal is to compare it to the crunch on my amps. I build my own amps, but most of them are two channel clean/crunch types. So far, every OD I've tried doesn't really measure up to the crunch channel on my amps. This one does.

My 2 cents....

2. tkwest2000

tkwest2000 Member

Got mine today. Serial number 200. I really like OCD. I bought a used 1.2 version and don't really use any other OD/distortion pedal.I'm mostly a Gibson guy with humbuckers. Tested the new OCD today playing a Custom Shop SG into a 1968 Fender Champ. I really like it so far. I'm often at a loss of words when it comes to describing sound. The ge sounds fuller and sweeter if that makes any sense. Rounder is another adjective that comes to mind. It's a keeper.

Mike Duncan likes this.
  3. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

"Fuller and sweeter" sounds great to me. I liked all OCD versions that I've had so far including the current v.2, not my favorite pedal but a great one none the less. If the Ge version is an improvement over a pretty good pedal I'm interested.

4. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

i got mine yesterday and the way mike fuller described how the pedal sound, is exactly what the pedal does. its a very open sounding OCD (i never owned the version 1.1-1.3 so i won't be able to compare it). it is not as bassy compared to the v2. has a lot more mid-range as well. note separation is excellent.

i think it also less gain than the v2, i am not sure if it's because of the germanium diode or what, but the gain feels softer. on high gain, high note feels very "chewy" if that even makes any sense. *(I figured out why it feels "chewy" on higher gain, apparently it has the same amount of gain on tap just like the V2, however, the higher the gain you have, the rounder the treble peak transient it created, while on the V2 the more gain you introduce the sharper the high peak transient in your notes, giving the illusion that the v-2 Ge gain feels less or softer)

On the lower gain setting, the note stays really tight with a little rounder high end. the bass is not boomy and stays very tight from low gain all the way to the maximum amount of gain.

i tried in both 9 Volt and 18 volts, and for some odd reason, the pedal sounds so much better to me in 9 volts. in 18 volts you can hear it considerably increase in volume and the note separation is different, the gain hugs the note more compared to the 9-volt operation. hard to explain, you have to hear it. overall, its a really good sounding OD pedal. this will cut through the mix, really easy. feels very tube amp-like (i hate using that terminology, but i have no other way to describe it).

the pedal also cleans up really well with the guitar volume knob interaction.

*updated for more clarity

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  5. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I’m guessing the 3pickups at once sounds great because the parallels reduce output and germanium likes lower impedance.
    Unless you want more treble, hair and compression, keep all buffers after a germanium pedal, IMHO

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

What? They aren’t all on at the same time. It sounds good with all of them.

This is the only buffer and the last pedal in line on my board. I was wondering if the enhanced bypass (JFET preamp it seems) would affect pedals before the OCD similar to the way an EP3 (also JFET) preamp would, but haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

7. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

i tried it in both order and i didn't notices anything weird happening when i placed them before a fuzz pedal or other pedals that would react badly with a buffered pedal before it. it behaves like as if there is no pedal in the chain at all when its off with the enhanced bypass turn on.

with true by pass version 1.4 that i have, when the pedal is off there is a slight signal lost , where as, it sounds like i have less of my signal when the OCD is in the off position in the pedal chain compares to plug in straight to the amp. I hope this makes any sense.

8. mach1

mach1 Member

Spent a couple of hours today comparing my V1.3 and the new GE. They are very close at all settings. Always loved the bite of the .3 and that is still there in the GE. The GE seems a bit more complex sounding with a slightly more 'chewy' feel. It's nicely touch-sensitive.
    Don't want to sound like a Fulltone ad, but the GE is a great sounding OD.

AceBSpankin and Knaggster57 like this.
  9. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

10. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Getting tired of buying a new OCD version every year or so. Just when you think it’s done a new one comes out. I’m gonna sit this one out until someone makes a good comparison video between the GE and V2. If the GE smokes the V2 I’ll consider buying, but if it’s just a subtile difference, I’ll pass.

MaxTwang likes this.
  11. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If I could only own one overdrive, it would be the OCD. I’ll put the Ge in that same category.

12. Marinade

Marinade Supporting Member

My signed #317 OCD-GE arrived yesterday (5-day wait time). It's one "musical" pedal where it doesn't call attention to the effect but accentuates the tone coming from the instrument and amp. I'm driving it (9-volt)after a Cali 76 compressor into a Carr Rambler Amp. Sweet OD and sustain pretty much sums it up for me.
    Just to add, I also have the Full-Drive 3 on my board, the OD switch has been laid off.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Mike Duncan likes this.
  13. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

the V2 has the most Db volume level compares to 1.4 and v2 ge. the V2 is the loudest pedal among all 3 (v1.4 - v2 - v2ge), the v2 Ge has closer sweep feels on the volume pot like the 1.4 but the v2 Ge has way more strings clarity.

kramm47 likes this.
  14. Faze

Faze Member

Knaggster57 likes this.
  15. Faze

Faze Member

16. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Of the few OCDs I have tried I like this one the best.

The volume knob is less hyper and it’s a smoother gain than the other ones I have tried. It feels really good ....

Great pedal for sure.

Knaggster57 likes this.
  17. kramm47

kramm47 Member

Just plugged in #526. Really sounds great, very smooth with excellent sustain.

Mike Duncan and Boogie92801 like this.
  18. mk.ufo1988

mk.ufo1988 Member

Your post is hard to read. So it IS a keeeper? You say it's not but still talk it up

19. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

yes, it is a keeper....

20. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

So here’s my long-winded review after using number #120 at a gig, a few practices, and at home.

Here’s the quick and dirty take: I like it, but I don’t love it. It didn’t kick my old OCD v1.3 off my board like I thought it would. The Ge is just a bit too fat and warm for me.

I always run the OCD with the gain around 9 o’clock because I like a clear, neutral, low-gain base tone. The more you turn up the gain on these the more the differences in tone get amplified. The Ge has an inherent thickness to it that I just don’t dig, which is surprising since it was marketed as being more open. It sounds good, but it’s not as clear or amp-like as the v1.3 that has managed to stay on my board for the past few years. I’m most sure I’ll be keeping the Ge.