1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ocd Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by estringwalker, Jul 13, 2006.

1. estringwalker

estringwalker Member

My OCD gets real bright and trebely when I turn on effects after it...( DL-4 and a Holy Grail).
    I know what the ocd is supposed to sound like all by itself and It only happens with effects after it not before. I also use a chili picoso as buffer first in my chain but it makes no difference on or off.

All TB effects before it

2. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I've heard similar complaints in other threads here and Harmony central. It seems to be random as to which effects it goofs up. I wish I had one to play with so I could figure it out. I'm sure it has something to do with it's output impedance.

3. estringwalker

estringwalker Member

Ill check HC.
    Cant wait to hear that new phaser!

4. JPenn

JPenn Member

Maybe you should check the emporium!!:rolleyes:

I'm not using the OCD right now, it just doesn't seem to work with my rig. When I first got it, it sounded pretty slammin runnin thru a HR Dlx. When I put it on my board with all my other stuff, it just doesn't seem to be working. The Barber Direct Drive is working out real good with my set up, just gotta find the right pedal to hit it with to get in the liquid zone.

5. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

If you have an original OCD, it has a 100K volume pot. When you chain that with other effects, you run into trouble. The 500K pot version is better in that respect.

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have a 100K version and wanted to do the 500K mod but my board is hopelessly epoxied in. I did do the mod #2 cap shange and it helped tame the highs on mine. How that would help you is another thing. Where do you live? If in Oklahoma you could give mine a try and see.

7. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I guess it is something to do with the newer version with the 500k pot then. I got my OCD about two weeks ago - and I'm running a Holy Grail after it. They seem to play together well to me.

I did change where my clean boost was in the chain though. I have an SD PU Booster that I had always put before ODs. But the OCD didn't seem to like it that way. It sounds great after it.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wonder if there are at least two other options.

1) Put a graphic EQ after the OCD?
    2) put the OCD and then the Graphic EQ in a loop (using a looper).

The second way would allow you to always have the EQ on as well as the OCD so you don't have to hit two pedals at the same time when using. You also can "preload" in cases where you know you will be using OCD without verb, just turn off the EQ, hit the loop and viola, only OCD.

Just a thought.

9. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I'm not going to BUY a pedal just to figure out why it doesn't play nice on the playground. It's just a curiosity thing here. I have no need for one.

Jon

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I thought you saw it as a problem.

I think every guitarist ought to own a EQ pedal though. It can do some amazing things besides fixing problems, it can boost, cut, you can learn about specific freqs and what they do, and you can use it to get effecty sounds, as well as just bring the extra sparkle out of your sound.

But hey, it's just my opinion. Felt you kinda stomped on someone (me) that was just trying to give a helpful suggestion.

11. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Mine's a newer version and it has the same problem. I don't remember having that problem with the older version. Whenever I stomp on a boost pedal placed after it to lift the signal for solos I get a boost that is many times louder than what I get from other gainers.

I was going to try the 100K resistor on the output mod that cusackmusic suggested on that other thread, but when I opened the thing I realised that Fuller's using the "closed" Marshall style jacks as opposed to the Switchcraft "open" style jacks so things are pretty tight in there ... I'm not confident enough to tear it apart to add the resistor.

12. JPenn

JPenn Member

Damn.....still for sale then:)

13. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've used both versions and use the newest version now but I have never noticed the Issues you guys are talking about. The only thing I hear is a kick ass pedal slammin my amp:RoCkIn

14. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have the older model, and haven't had any issues with it either.

Jan

15. evco

evco Member

I've got the newer 500k version, and have this issue.

If I don't run any pedals after the OCD, no problem, pedal sounds great!!

If I have a buffer in the chain after the OCD, or have another pedal on all the time, no problem (though I have to turn the volume & tone down on the OCD a couple of notches to compensate).

I normaly run a delay and chorus in a true bypass loooper after my OD's, when I engage my delay or chorus with the OCD I get a very large volume/brightness jump (when the OCD sees the buffer, it jumps up in volume). Don't have this issue with any of my other OD's (BJF, Menatone, Pedalworx, etc).

To see if your's has this issue, put a buffered pedal in a loooper (turned off, but powered) and engage it. Or put a TB booster set to unity (set to unity with the OCD off) then engage it with the OCD on.

Unfortunatly makes an otherwise great pedal unusable for me. Very interesed if anyone finds a (easy) fix!!

16. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

No issues with mine in the middle of 11 pedal setup. Sounds like something is defective with yours.

17. estringwalker

estringwalker Member

Sounds just like my problem! Mine is the 500k also.
    Im still trying to figure why this is happening.

18. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I have the older 100K model & it doesn't get along well with other pedals for me either. I have two boards & couldn't get it to play nice on either one. I've tried it in lots of positions & it does odd things to levels & tone for me in all of them. If I replace it with another pedal, everything is fine.

I had to give it the spanish archer (el bow) from my boards, but I like the pedal on it's own & plan on keeping it in my backup bag.

I'm also very interested if someone finds a fix! I got hopeful when I read that kinsleyd's comments about the 100K vs. the 500K version, but then sank back into despair when I saw the posts from the folks that have the 500k version & similar issues.

I'm thinking cusakmusic is on to something with the impedance theory. I just can't understand why the issue would be so seemingly random & why some people have no issues & others do. My first thought (other than a shared dementia...) is that there's some random components used, like resistors or caps from different manufacturers or with different tolerances. From what I've read though, Mike Fuller is pretty cautious about that stuff, uses high quality components & tries to maintain consistency with the stuff he uses. So, a wonky component just doesnt' seem likely to me. I wonder if that epoxy goop could somehow be causing the problem? Maybe it's creating randomly semi-conductive or capacitive media? (Yeah I know, it's non-conductive, but I despise that gray matter like a sickness & would love to blame it for something... ;) )

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

My OCD is modded to current spec (500K vol. pot) and has an additional mod Mike Fuller had posted on the Fulltone site a while back (a single capacitor value changed from .1pF to .047pF). If I have the OCD on and I turn on the DLS delay delay (the only pedal in my signal chain after the OCD) or delay is on and I turn on the OCD I do notice that the signal becomes brighter. I use the OCD mainly for rhythm tones w/ no delay so this hasn't been an issue for me. If I do use the OCD and the delay together I can balance the signal by rolling off the tone control on the guitar. I do find it to be an odd interaction but it's had no negative impact on my use of the pedal.

20. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

Just a wild guess but it could depend on how much headroom one has on the amp. If your base tone is with the amp already cooking (or a low wattage amp on the edge of breakup) then any volume differences wouldn't be too drastic as the amp is already reaching it's max output. If the amp has lots of headroom left, then any volume increase would be very noticeable. I'm running my amp much cleaner than I used to and I just recently noticed this issue with the OCD ... could be that.