OCD Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jms6668, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jms6668

jms6668 Member

So, correct me if I am wrong. The tone that I love with my Fulltone OCD v3 plugged into my amp is virtually unattainable if I slot it into my pedalboard with any pedal running after it? I know some amount of tone change is inevitable once you introduce cables, other pedals, etc. But the difference is extreme to my ear. Running a simple chorus and/or delay pedal after the OCD, thrashes the tone. It thins out and turns "glitchy" whether the pedal is on or off. With some "true bypass" pedals, it's worse, because the tone changes once the effect is turned on(as if I turned on an EQ pedal as well), so it makes it impossible for me to set a tone that I can work with. This has been mentioned before on these pages but I did not want to believe that there is no solution. Has anyone else given up? Am I to choose a dirt pedal that I don't like as much for my working pedalboard? Has anyone had any success contacting Fulltone? Maybe they should put out a disclaimer on this one, "Stand alone pedal only". I'm about to give up on it so I am asking for help.
    Thanks, jms6668

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Sounds like its time for you to get a looper.....

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Really? Even with the pedal off? Think about it...its true bypass, so with the pedal off there should be ABSOLUTELY no difference in tone other than added cable length which is minimal (1 ft). If you are hearing a difference with the OCD bypassed the problem ain't the OCD.

There is a documented REASON for what you are hearing with the pedal engaged however. I have reprinted this response in a number of threads:

"The output of the OCD is an unbuffered volume pot... 100k or 500k depending on which version that you have. The pedal following the OCD will put a load on the volume pot and reduce the overall signal volume, significantly or not depending on the input impedance of the second pedal. A buffered input pedal will not put much load on it and the signal will come through stronger than if the pedal has a lower input Z. The volume drop/boost will be more noticeable with the 500k version than the 100k. This same problem applies to any other pedal with a volume pot on the output. The Fuzzface should produce a similar response..."

Here are some threads documenting folks that have the same issues you have with BUFFERED pedals AFTER the OCD. Its a known issue.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-152219.html
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-212146.html
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152219

4. jms6668

jms6668 Member

5. sandman

sandman Member

Well, that's basically what's fr8 saying. Every pedal acts like a buffer once you turn it on. That's why it's the same whether your(example) Boss delay is on or off. It's affecting the OCD either way. I assume you'd have a similar situation with a TB pedal after it BUT everything will be fine until you turn it ON and it starts acting like a buffer. People here mentioned that a buffered pedal right BEFORE the OCD makes it more stable while overall tone is still altered in a way. I really liked the V3 when I tried it in the guitar store 52 RI Tele-OCD-Blues Jr but I gave up on it after reading people with complaints similiar to what you're saying. Good luck.