OCD? Looking for a replacement for my tube screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrgoldtop, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

Anyone here have one of these?

I have a Ibanez Tubescreamer on my pedal board right now. The OCD seems to to be an improvement to my ears, more transparent if you will

I am using a marshall delay, Chorus, and sustainer, a Dunlop Crybaby, Volume pedal as well into a Jet City JCA 20 head and 1x12 cabinet.

I like classic rock, blues tones. Any one have any other boutique pedal / high quality OD suggestions? Was also considering a box of Rock pedal, MI Crunchbox, etc...Im using the JCA20 with the gain set at about 5 and push the amp harder with the tube screamer..

-tks for suggestions

2. beatnik

beatnik Member

I have the OCD v.4 and love it. It cleans up very well from a dirty tone (with the drive at 12:00) with just a lighter pick attack. I was just thinking about how much I really enjoy my OCD as I was playing a song today that toggles between big rock power chords and clean arpeggiated chords and I did not have to tap dance at all.

Great pedal well worth the investment.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have the V4 and I like it a lot too. I'd say the Crunchbox isn't the best for pushing your amp if you like to use your amp's overdrive. I just sold one since that's what I like to do. The CB likes a clean amp. Why replace the tube screamer-I like having both-they sound different enough. Maybe you could just have it modded if you want less mids/more bass. The Ocd sounds more Marshally than a tube screamer-kind of meaner sounding, but without going all hair-metal. Very touch sensitive too. Great pedal.

4. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

The OCD into a TubeScreamer make for a nice combination. Am using the OCD for crunch chords, and step on the TS for mid-flavored solos. In this order I still have the dynamics and touch sensitivity of the OCD on tap.

5. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

i guess Im going to need a bigger pedal board... :)

6. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

A belated "welcome to the Gear Page"!.

7. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

A TS should always be in your gear "toolbox". As soon as you part with it, you miss it. OCD and TS are very different... if you can swing it, keep the TS and get an OCD. You don't need both on your board, but you'll find yourself swapping now and again.

9. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

I had a reissue TS and really liked it. I tried the Maxon OD-808 which looks like an MXR pedal if it were green with three knobs and IMHO it sounded a lot cleaner (which is what I always look for) and less fuzzy.

I never thought of myself as someone who cared that much about little things but the 808 really made me fussy.

Just my 2 cents, but you may want to check it out.

10. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

i'm not going to get rid of the TS, but I expect it to fall out of rotation for a bit. If I can cram the new pedal on the board it will stay.

11. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

BB Preamp is nice for a modified TS-type dealy.

12. hangten

hangten Member

2 words:
    Skreddy Screwdriver

I don't miss my tube screamers at all.

13. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I would suggest keeping your tube screamer. It can always be used as a clean boost with the volume all the way up, gain all the way down, and the tone to taste. You can also consider one of the mods for the tube screamer to make it more usable. I highly recommend the DLS as a complimentary overdrive pedal for your board. It's a great Marshall in the box and much more. All the tones you are looking for are easily accessible with the DLS. It is an inspirational pedal and imho far more versatile than the OCD.

14. Russorama

Russorama Member

I have an OCD version 3 that I will never, ever part with. It so TOTALLY depends on what style of music YOU play and what YOU want to hear. You know that right? For me, the OCD is just incredibly versatile and amp-like. It's an "always on" pedal for sure. Just use your guitar volume knob and don't tap dance on your pedals. It works big time.
    Hey, just thought I'd remind you if you are (relatively) new here to find the "search" button on the page (upper right) and see what you can find in past threads.
    If you get an OCD you will definately want to try it at 9, 12 and 18 volts. I have a Dunlop 18 volt adapter and the pedal REALLY likes to be run at the highter voltage.
    I have no use for tube screamers personally. YMMD.

15. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Barber LTD, my favorite OD. Currently using a Half Gainer.

16. RJLII

RJLII Member

I did an A/B between an OCD (v4) and my TS-9 using my R8 and old DRRI. No contest. The Tube Screamer got sold. Not that the TS wasn't a good pedal, I just didn't like the way it colored the sound. The OCD is much more transparent and offers more versatility. My only beef is that I can't turn it down low enough to use it as a clean boost or add just a touch of edge to the tone. I'm getting in the queue for a Tim to solve that problem.

17. corncakes

corncakes Member

Blows OCD out of the water and into the weeds. I have an Ebay store and have sold/tested over 4500 pedals.

18. vintage66

vintage66 Member

+1 on the Od808. I have a Keeley Ts9dx flexi next to mine on my board as well as an Ocd, but the Maxon sounds so good I can't take it off.

19. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

The Menatone Shut Up And Drive beats out the OCD IMO. It's even more of what you're referring to as "transparency". It still sounds like your guitar and amp, it just adds some great amp-like dirt that you can tailor to your taste via the tone and resonance (bass extension) controls.

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have and will pass from this earth still having an OCD V2.

Don't have one but I like the V4 too but prefer the V2.
    I use mine mostly adding an edge.
    At settings like this I get the same benefits as if my amp were cranked louder without the volume.
    Sound is clear, dynamic and chock full of rich harmonics.

Works well with every amp and guitar I have, my favorite all time poedal that's not like using a pedal at all the way I use it.