OCD midhump?

Rekonizefull

I'm needing an od and there are no stores within an hour drive. I've got a TS and it's great with alot of amps, but my crunchy living room quarter stack has mids so the TS is overkill in the mids. Ideally I'd like it to keep the guitar/amp sound but add more when I need it without huge change in tone. I remember the bad monkey was pretty cool but I'd rather order new than used. Any thoughts around the $100ish mark? I been at it about 35 years but haven't tried or heard anOCD. Thanks all.

Strat58

I have the OCD and Fulldrive on mine board, 99% only the OCD is on, I played years with TS9/10 and Lovepedal Eternity's and the OCD replaced them all. For me it works with a Fender and Marshall amp. I play with Les Pauls and Straocaster it works with both guitars. I like on low gain for playing blues.
Peace Strat58

Rekonizefull

Thanks that's what I was wondering. I love TS thru fenders but thru my living room quarter stack it's just too much mids. Does the ocd color the sound much? Everyone pretty much says it's great but I'm also concerned with not coloring the sound too much

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks that's what I was wondering. I love TS thru fenders but thru my living room quarter stack it's just too much mids. Does the ocd color the sound much? Everyone pretty much says it's great but I'm also concerned with not coloring the sound too much
The OCD has pretty tame mids- some would even called it 'mid-scooped'.

If running your TS into your amp is giving you too much in the mids, the OCD might work for you. A lot of people love it, it's basically a modern classic.

The Bad Monkey, while great, also has a ton of mids; it's basically a Tube Screamer (with a bass knob, of course).

Depending on how much more dirt you're looking for, the MXR Timmy could also be another great option. Plus, it comes in pretty close to $100 new. (It's slightly more, but still very affordable).

Rekonizefull

Thanks I'll look into the tummy. I'm also leaning hard on the ocd. My amp is already at crunchy 80s hard rock territory, so the overall boost I need is not alot. There more I hear about ocd the more I want it

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Some people call the OCD a 'transparent' overdrive/distortion. I'm using a V2 now and I don't think it has a ton of mids in the LP mode. The HP mode is supposed to give you moar mids, but still, it's nothing like a TS. SO, I think it would do the OP just fine if he'd like to try it.

It's one of the few overdrives that sounds good through a clean and dirty amp too.

Rekonizefull

Thanks all, I'll def look into these. I forgot about the blues driver. I cant get on here too often so forgive if I don't respond directly to questions for a couple weeks at a time. I'll have to order as the store that's like an hour away doesn't stock many pedals at all

ezra1

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks all, I'll def look into these. I forgot about the blues driver. I cant get on here too often so forgive if I don't respond directly to questions for a couple weeks at a time. I'll have to order as the store that's like an hour away doesn't stock many pedals at all
I have bought used pedals here in the Pedal Emporium and Reverb for years.
No issues.

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
I really like Blues Breaker and Blues Driver style pedals for the type of thing you're describing. Plenty of options around the $100 mark.

daizee

I have the EHX OD Glove, which is a close cousin, if not a clone. It's a great base-level flat-ish overdrive into a mid-scooped amp. The shift switch makes it bit more middy if you want. I run it with the internal 18v switch on. It does bluesy well and also can crank if you want. Klones and Dumble style drives seem to stack well into it.

One thing I dig about it is that it lacks fizziness and seems very smooth.

Jim234

Boss Blues Driver. Ignored that pedal for the longest time. Regret that I did not buy it earlier. Easy to dial in.

Brutus

You can stack your TS and an OCD or a clone. If you can’t afford a new OCD, check out Donner, Mooer, and Joyo. One of them or all of them probably make something close.

Strat58

Oh btw the Eternity and TS9/10 were replaced due to the mid hump so I guess the OCD doesn't has that issue. When I listen the OCD gives me more clean sound with the vol. knob and thats something I haven't heard from a TS9/10 or other OD.
Peace Strat58

Trending Topics

Top Bottom