1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

OCD no like buffered pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MjCartney, Jul 8, 2006.

1. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I find that I can't reliably set my OCD (old model, no mod) for unity gain & it colors the tone a lot if I use it after a buffered pedal. If it's the first box in the chain, or is after a true bypass pedal that is off, I can set it, forget it, and life is wonderful. :dude If it's behind a pedal with a buffer, I find that my levels and tone jump around and I'm futzing with the controls constantly during the set. :BITCH

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or am I just having a flare up of "Eric Johnson Syndrome"? :NUTS (EJS is an affliction that allows you to hear tonal differences between minute changes to your rig. Differences in batteries, cables, temperature, which direction (N, S, E, or W) your board is facing, etc. become audible to you. Unfortunately, EJS doesn't cause you to play like him...)

2. what?

what? Member

the same with hermida grinder!

3. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have two buffered pedals before the ocd, and I don't have any problems at all.

Jan

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

Some day ... I aspire to be that good where a syndrome is names after me. :D

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

There are allot of pedals that don't care for low impedance signals from buffers, mostly fuzzes, but not exclusively. I have my buffered pedals (actually all my pedals) separated with loopers to alleviate this.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I use 2 boss pedals after my OCD a Boss CE-5 chorus and Boss DD-3 delay, have no Issues at all.........actually i do have an Issue! I cant stop playing the dam pedal:dude

7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

The only issue I have had with my OCD is that it doesn't play well with my Hotcake at all - either in front of it or after it. Or perhaps, my Hotcake does not play well with my OCD.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Same with the Everman FD and Fulltone Octafuzz. But thats ok because that is why we have out DYI cables.

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I run 4 true bypass pedals before the OCD (Wah, Phase, Vibe, treble boost) w/NO problems at all. The AM Beano into the OCD is the sound of heaven (for overdrive/distortion).

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've noticed that stacking some pedals AFTER the OCD dos odd things...for example, a Catalinbread SPP booster after it dulls the tone and volume of the OCD. Wierd.
    Greg

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

I agree that other pedals have a major affect on the OCD. When I first got the pedal (Ver. 2) and was plugging straight into it then the amp, it was pretty rockin. After I put it on my board with all my Boss pedals, it doesn't seem to have a lot of sustain. It still crunches like crazy, but the notes just seem to die quickly. It also gets pretty muddy after 12:00-1:00 on the drive knob.

I tried using the OCD set to low gain into a Direct Drive this past weekend, and the OCD (even when OFF) seemed to drag the sustain of the DD down. Maybe I've got something going on with the OCD that needs repairing.

12. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I have a customer that drives a Tap-A-Whirl with an OCD, and when the Tap-A-Whirl is on the volume goes UP, but only if the OCD is on. I had him try with a FD2, and it was fine, only the OCD caused it. Is there an output impedence issue with the OCD? I haven't tried one, so I'm not sure what would cause these strange things, but I keep hearing more of them.

13. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thats strange that some have Issues it could also be the other pedals that have the Issue not OCD, oh well I'm just glad I have none my OCD works great with my 2 Boss pedals!

14. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Could it be that because the pedal has a pretty wide dynamic range (compared to a tube screamer type circuit), it just seems that the tone and volume are jumpy?

15. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Most builders will tell you run your buffered pedals after your true bypass pedals. I have found buffers makeTB pedals: loose sustain, get very trebley and just loose their warmth and cool. It kills me to see people running their Boss tuner first in line with realy nice boutique stuff. That said, I always have one buffered pedal near the end of my chain. It drives the signal very well.

16. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I run a SexDrive right after my OCD - it is buffered - NO issues at all. If the buffers suck (i.e. Boss) then you could run into problems. My OCD is in the middle of a 11 pedal chain, it works flawlessly with all the others...

17. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have two buffered pedals after my OCD too and haven't noticed any issues. I have one of the new ones. Are the OCD's that some are having problems with the older models?

18. JPenn

JPenn Member

I have been running into a Vox wha, then out to an RC Booster then the OCD. It could very well be the Vox, but it seems to work out with the Direct Drive and an SD9 that I sometimes use.

I think the OCD is a cool pedal it's just not working out for me with my rig. On another post I said the SD9 doesn't seem to work with my rig (open back combos) but it sounded incredible thru a Carvin head/Carvin 4x12 rig a few weeks ago. Maybe the OCD would work out better for me thru a closed back rig.

19. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Buffer after is cool, buffer before is the issue.

20. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I usually run a buffer between a demoted pedal and the flavor of the month pedal, so there's no fighting.... BA_DUMP_CHING!@!!!!!!!!!!!