OCD observations after several hours...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jeff Hitman, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

My rig:
    ES-335 type with P90's
    On the board - OCD (18 volts) into Dual Drive (12.5V) into Demeter Trem
    Amp - Custom made 50W Marshall Plexi type head
    Cab - Jenkins 4x12 loaded with G12H 30's

After several hours playing around at both moderate and high volume I have come to the conclusion that the only way the OCD sounds even passable is when I run the volume at 1:00 and the drive at 8-9:00 with the tone at about 10:30. In this way it's a great pedal for adding chunk to chords for rhythm work.

I have yet to find a setting where it sounds good as a boost for solos.

Any thoughts on these observations?
    -J

2. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I agree totally. The settings I've used are pretty similar to yours, and very good for rhythm stuff. I haven't had much luck using it for lead playing, though (seems kind of thin to me). Someone pointed out recently that the OCD works best when the volume is cranked well beyond unity gain. The idea is to leave it on all the time and use it like a cranked amp -- rolling off your guitar's volume for clean sounds, rolling it up for overdrive. The pedal works really well this way (again for rhythm, IMHO).

3. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I've been getting very good lead and rhythym tones with mine (Vol 10:30, Tone 8:30-9:00, and drive at 2:00) 9 volt and in LP.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I guess depending the rest of your gear the pedal can be finicky, I use mine with 2 differnt fender amps and can set the OCD any where and have useable tones!

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

OCD: Lukey no likey. :(

6. Deaj

Deaj Member

I just received an OCD last week and I I'm not sure if it will be here for too much longer. I really like some qualities in the OCD and then there are some wrinkles - one that I can't seem to get past.

The good stuff:
    It's EQ'd very well for my amp the way I set it for use with the pedal board.
    It's very dynamic and responds wonderfully to changes in technique and guitar volume control.
    The bass response just kicks @SS!
    The controls allow for a wide range of tones.

What's not working for me:
    The upper midrange content can be a bit harsh.
    The sweet spot is well above unity gain on the volume.
    It responds poorly to the tone control on all of my guitars.

I just don't seem to be bonding with it or even moving in that direction. Because of the things it does well I want to like it but I'm tiring of the negatives and fast.

This is probably stating the obvious but the negatives that I listed above are all very subjective. This is just what my ears perceive. I used the OCD at a jam on Friday night and it was alot of fun to play! I found it worked well for both lead and rhythm. While I did perceive a little harshness I wasn't bothered by it really. This actually worked well for AC/DC style rhythm tones. The upper mids don't seem as harsh at lower gain settings or for single note soloing.

The thing that is bothering me the most is the fact that the tone controls on my guitars are pretty much useless with the OCD. I set my OD pedals up to be as bright as I'll want each to be at any time tone I'll want and then use the tone and volume controls on the guitar to change the amout of gain and timbre. I put some effort into finding the best cap value for each guitar so that the tone controls work well. With the OCD the tone controls on my guitars have a mild wah-like response and anything but full-up sounds muddy and dull.

I usually sell a pedal once I reach this stage but I'm having a hard time parting with the OCD. I may keep it for a while and see if I can live with the negatives. What the OCD does well it does very well!

7. jlagrassa

Deaj have you tried stacking the Clay Jones into the OCD for high gain tones, I find I like the OCD's drive around 2:00 and then hit it with the Silver LTD set for low gain and the result is a huge tone combining the qualities of both pedals.

OCD seems to stack well with other pedals!

8. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

Do you guys stack up OD's like I do? Any experience using the OCD as well as a Dual Drive? Which one first? I'll do some experimenting on my own, but thought I'd ask here too.
    -J

9. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I was redoing my pedalboard last night, and played around with placement in the chain a little. I tried the OCD before my FDII, and after. HUGE difference. When I put the OCD first, the pedals sounded very muddy (when used together with the FDII), and there was also a noticeable loss in volume (I had both pedals set to unity with the amp alone). I ended up keeping the OCD after the FDII. As was mentioned in the post above, I set the gain at about 2:00, and use the FDII to push it into Soldano type gain.

10. Deaj

Deaj Member

I have - thouogh I was using the OCD up front and pushing the CJOD. This produced a really cool, very saturated, high gain lead tone! It was noisy but it sure did rock!
    :dude

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I use my OCD with a Komet and i really like it. I guess it depends on which amp you use.

12. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

I found the OCD to be great for flatter, lower gain rhythm tones but not so great for any sort of lead boost. If you play single coils, you'll likely need something that produces a fatter, more midrangey tone.

13. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

Exactly

14. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

Are you talking about the new or old OCD? I have the newer one (500k pot) and it has lessened bass, more mids, so it balances out with my other pedal's EQ.
    that's what we're really talking about, isn't it? The early OCD's had so much bass and highs that the mids appeared scooped compared to my other pedals...not a bad thing unless your rig is EQ'd for those other OD pedal, which tend to be mid heavy and Bass-light.
    I like the newer OCD a lot, it always did have the nicest "touch" and now the EQ fit's in with my other pedals better for a win-win situation.

Edward

15. jlagrassa

Are you saying Mike is now selling these with the 500k pot mod he mentioned or did you have it modified! I would be curious to try the modified version but personally i like the way the OCD sounds stock!

16. jlagrassa

Cool i just checked Fulltones web site and I guess he did in fact make the change!

17. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I haven't had any luck with fulltone pedals with my rig.... Too harsh or too something....

18. Straleno

Straleno Member

Mine's a pre-mod OCD, and I may make the change, but for now, I find the OCD to be EXCELLENT at being the last pedal in a stack. Right now, I'm using a GGG Standard OD (great pedal, btw) as a low to medium OD, into the OCD. I can kick in the OCD set at unity volume and get a huge meaty rhythm sound, with the GGG filling in the mids that seem to be "missing" from the OCD, or I can crank the OCD's volume to get a FAT lead sound. Fuzz Face-type pedals sound awesome into the OCD, too. I think it has to do with the OCD's amp-like texture and fidelity.

I want to try the volume pot mod, but I'd hate to lose that openness.
    How different does it sound and feel with the 500k pot?

19. glendrix

glendrix Member

Never connected with the OCD, although never tried the "new version." Gave it a couple days and the unloaded it to a guy who really seemed to dig it.