OCD or Mosferatu

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DEMENTED, Jul 28, 2006.

1. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Which do you prefer , use or wish you had and why?

2. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I have both......OCD - more marshal type tones....gritty overdrive....more my style

Mosferatu- very smooth OD....more compressed

Depends on the flavor you are looking for

3. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I just decided tonight to part with my 500k mod OCD. I play into a clean Fender HRDX and after 6 months and 30 gigs with it I find my Keeley mod BD-2 phat covers the same low gain ground with better dynamics and character and smokes the OCD for high gain. I think the OCD is better suited to a dirtier amp.
    I have a Blues Pro coming and If that dosn't settle me I'm going for a second BD-2 phat to dedicate to low gain stuff (gain at 9:00).

4. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I have both, been going back and forth between them for a couple of weeks now. I think I prefer to drive my Marshall with the OCD and like the Mosferatu with my Princeton Reverb.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Had both, sold both - replaced them with my MI Audio Blue Boy...

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Had both. Kept the OCD and sold the Mos. For whatever reason, the Mos did nothing for me.

7. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Probably the direction I will go.....like my BB and the OCD.....The mos is too smooth for my style but I will give it a little while....

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Is the Mos a heavy version of the Zen??
    I use 2 overdrives to get all my tones. My broken OCD, and a Zen. They work great togeather IMO. I use the OCD the most since I like the low, low gain boosted tone. My OCD is stuck on the low gain side.
    The more I use the OCD live, the more I like it. Both rock my Maz jr.

9. what?

what? Member

I've got 2 4 knobs mos and love 'em. One that Alf put my gf's name on it instead or Mosferatu is mellower and the other one that I got from a trade has more grit and crunch. It's the kind of pedal that retains your original amp and guitar sound plus a voice of it's own. Not a bedroom pedal, must crank those tubes up to hear it's magic...it's the most natural OD I've had and it sits in the mix perfectly without anything weird like a TS type pedal that seems to put your guitar on top of the mix. Very touch sensitive and responsive to guitar vol. knob. The magic is in the voice knob, always have my tone knob almost full and adjusting the voice knob accordingly. CW gives less fat, not that it's thinning, say the difference the voice knob makes is between robben ford's fat tone and angus young's crunch.

Never tried an OCD but I saw a band and the guitarist was using two OCD's one for OD/distortion and the one for solo boost, nice tone. It was rather compressed sounding compared to the mos through my rig.

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

... AND?

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've not owned an OCD. My 3 knob MOs is more a match for the Barber Burn Unit-sweet sustain and lots of harmonics. Unlike the burn unit, it does retain some dynamic (in other words, you get sustain without squashing out the volume lows and highs-sort of like a Dumble kind of thing). Pretty cool pedal.

12. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Guess I have to give the mos a fair shake at volume then......at low vollume its not my thing but I'll have to get the tubes crankin at the next practice and see how it sounds.........more compressed than the ocd? not a chance....I think layering 2 ocd's will do that.....too much gain....

13. erksin

erksin Member

And nuttin' - the Blue Boy covers both pedals for me...

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

My favorite use for the Mosferatu was as a low gain boost in front of an amp already in mild overdrive (the Mos into a late 60's Traynor YSR-1 was mind blowing!). The Mos was too compressed for my taste into a clean amp for low volume noodling. The OCD (500K version) works well for me at any volume with the amp clean or cooking.

15. what?

what? Member

I didn't say that it's more compressed than an OCD, actually the Mos is a very open sounding pedal, not a really good high gain modern liquid distortion, maybe cause I use single coils exclusively, but it excels at low-med-med/high gain...for power chording try setting the gain at around 2 o'clock tone at around 4 o'clock and voice at aroung 3.30-4 o'clock, adjust accordingly and use your bridge pickup.

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

Was just wondering if you liked it better and why. Considering a Blue Boy.

17. erksin

erksin Member

Like is definitely not a strong enough word - the Blue Boy is my favorite pedal (and I have had some VERY nice pedals lately)...

If you do a search on it, you can read my gushings until your blue in the face. I can't help it - it's just a very versatile killer sounding little OD.

PM me later and I can fill in any questions you might have once you've read up on it - glad to help if I can!