OCD pedal and Fulltone pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Supertgtr, May 12, 2006.

1. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Ok, I know everyone has tried the OCD, it's no longer the flavor of the month pedal, but...
    I was talking to a buddy of mine who also plays guitar, and he mentioned that he picked up the OCD pedal. He said it completely blew him away...yadda yadda yadda, same ole story. A few weeks later, I was complaing to him about having to haul two amps to gigs, and all the time it takes setting up and tearing down. He said "dude, just borrow my OCD pedal, and you'll soon replace one of your amps with that pedal". So I did. He was almost right. It was going to take TWO ocd pedals to replace one amp. So, I raided my piggy bank and ordered up a pair. Wow. Double wow. They sound awesome. One is set for just a bit of hair on the note, while the other is set for more of an all out overdrive sound.
    It occured to me when I purchased my FDII back in 2000, that I was very skeptical about all the praise the pedal was receiving online until I tried one myself. My opinion was quickly changed. The pedal hasnt left my board since.
    Also, when I was shopping for wah pedals, I again was skeptical, and again was quickly converted when I tried the clyde deluxe that's now on my board.
    So why am I so cautious when it comes to fulltone stuff? Is it because of soooo much hype and chatter about his products that make them too good to be true?
    Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I don't know why the Fulltone stuff garners so much emotion - people either love or hate it, and voice those opinions pretty strongly.

I had an original version OCD and didn't care for it - I may try one of the newer 500k volume pot units in the future. It just sounded too 'modern' to me, not enough mids.

I do own a Clyde wah and I'm totally happy with it - great sound, and I like the extended sweep range.

If he ever comes out with a pitch modulating Vibrato unit, I'd be all over it. One thing about the Fulltone stuff - it's BUILT.

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

A buddy brought over a Fulldrive 2 last week and i'm IMPRESSED

I want one bad

I've got a Choralflange that I love already.

4. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Please count me as an OCD fan.

I really like what this pedal does with my sound. I have the early model and am most curious about the newer versions, but really can not complain at all about the one I have.

A great bit of kit that has found a home on my board.

I, too, have a similar gut-feel skepticism about Fulltone products. I have no rational explanation for this gut-feel, other that reading some atrocious postings and comments by the proprietor over the past years. In the end, I suppose that I don't have to like the man to appreciate his work, but it certainly helps. I would much prefer to do business and support someone that I appreciate and who appreciates me as a customer.

All this being said, the OCD remains a keeper for me.

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

I thought the OCD sucked as badly as the Distortion Pro.

6. Tarbender

Tarbender Member

I picked up the FDII Aniv. edition pedal last month after shoping around and researching on different forums. I was surprised to find so many positive comments about the product and some not so nice comments about the manufacturer, but results are what count in my book - I hate some artist's and thier attitudes but love thier work. This pedal does everthing it should and does it well. OK, better than well, I think it' s the tone I've always wanted whether playing my single coil Tele or humbucker Les Paul. This pedal gives my sound that special something - rich, clear, hard or soft crunch - without any mudiness. Just my $0.02...

7. radioscooter

radioscooter Member

I have several crunch and drive pedals in my rig and I can't give any up! I currently use:
    The FDII - This is a very 'go to' pedal for me
    An ORIGINAL Marshall Guv'nor - still love the mids on that one
    The Moonstone - amazingly nasty
    A handbuilt modded HotBox clone for real tube crunch

I really like all of them and find quite a difference. But I really favor the FD2 more often than not. Very musical.

I am always skeptical about hot new gotta haves, but I also find that they don't work with all rigs. My buddy's original Klon sounds great through his set-up but I hated it in mine.

Gotta always try it IN YOUR CHAIN, not in the store.

-S

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Like my dear departed grandfather Pop-Pop John used to say:
    "It's like escargot - one man's fine French delicacy is another man's buttered garden pest..."

My OCD arrived just before the TGP meltdown. I LOVE the thing. It displaced my Fulldrive2 from my pedal board. I say displaced instead of "replaced". I'd still have the Fulldrive2 in there, but with the Xotic triplets (RC, AC, and BB-preamp) and a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso in addition to non-OD/distortion pedals, I'm just plain out of room AND there are no more outlets on my PedalPower 2 Plus remaining to power the thing. I also echo the sentiments of wanting a second one on the board - I'd leave on with the switch set to LP and the gain down, and the other with the switch set to HP and the gain raised. If merely changing the LP/HP switch without adjusting the gain and EQ gave me what I'm searching for, I'd have my pedal modded to make the LP/HP switch a footswitch. I may acquire a second OCD (and squeeze it in somehow) and let my Korg DT-10 tuner rely on batteries; just gotta remember to change them...

Peace,

jb

9. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

The OCD flat-out rules. It won't come off of my board. I have the first version and have compared it to the "newer" one at work, and they are both great OD units. All of their stuff is built fantastic.

10. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i love fulltone stuff. have for years. the reason i don't have more is that they're so expensive.

11. Matt F

Matt F Member

I got an OCD last week and it really breathed some life into my strat.. With all the boutiquee stuff out there the OCD I feel is a great value.. I ordered a FDII back in 1997 and remeber thinking I can not believe I just spent $160 on an OD pedal... Still a great pedal... Again good value :) I dig em.

12. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have had an OCD for a while and did not find a use for it. However, I recently picked up a BB pre, which sounds great. I then tried the OCD into the BB for a lead boost - perfect for me.

13. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

+1
    The OCD does indeed rock! :dude I got mine a few weeks back and I can't say enough good things about it! Its a lot different from a FD-2 in my opinion. Way more open and less compressed. It has a suprising amount of gain and cleans up extremely well with the volume control on your guitar.

14. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

It does seem that people either love or hate the fulltone stuff, and I think that is mostly because of Mikes ability to say whatever he thinks. The guy is outspoken, but has always been very kind to me whether it be emails, or speaking to him on the phone. He is like his product, you either love him or hate him. I keep trying other pedals and always seem to end up back with fulltone stuff. I love the OCD. I really like the idea of having two, that you guys mentioned. I think I might have to try that.

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I just won an e(vil)Bay bid for a 2nd one. I'm going to leave on with the switch on LP and the gain set low - great for a "hairy" Strat tone; the 2nd wil have the switch set at HP and the gain set high. Methinks it'll just fit into my pedal board.

Peace,

jb

16. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I own a Mini Deja-Vibe and a FD II 10th Ann and they are both phenominal.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I've always thought the Fulltone stuff had useful, musical tones. Very classic, classy gear.

18. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Love the pedal, Dislike his attitude...sorry.....:eek:

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great to see all this OCD love! One of my favourite pedals too!!

20. nsriley

nsriley Member

I picked up an original version OCD from a fellow TGP'er and I love it! It's a perminant part of my gear for sure.

-Peace
    -Nate