OCD picky about other pedals: anyone else notice this?

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using my OCD a lot more since I got the V3 board in it. I've taken it out to rehearsal and jams when I didn't need my pedalboard and it sounds great just guitar > OCD > amp. So I thought, hey, I'll try it on the pedalboard. Problem is, any time I turn on another pedal downstream from the OCD, like delay for example, the OCD's high end changes dramatically. It's almost like I turned the tone knob from noon to 3 oclock! I tried running several different pedals, buffered and not, and any time there was a pedal on or a buffer after the OCD it did this. Anyone else have this issue, or is there something odd with mine?

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I haven't noticed this but I'm still waiting for my Version 3 parts.
Was your's like this before the version 3 change?

mkl13

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't noticed it with my v2. Sounds great with all of my stuff.

WailinGuy

Tonight I did a gig with guitar --> OCD --> Boss TR-2 Tremelo --> amp. The Boss pedal uses buffered bypass like all other Boss pedals. I had the OCD set to LP mode and the tone knob was set to around 12:30. It did not sound too bright. And the amp is a rather bright-sounding '68 Deluxe Reverb.

theraygun

I had problems with the OCD having a significant volume jump with certain pedals after it. It seems particularly picky about buffered pedals.

billygoat

I have found that the ocd doesn't like to see anything less than guitar level impedence, and that my wah pedal doesn't work on the ocd as well unless there is a buffer between wah and ocd.

Also I find that my dejavibe REALLY thins out the sound of the OCD before it.

As for pedals after it, the only buffer I have after it is a dd-20 and that sounds okay after the OCD.

estringwalker

Im on my second OCD v.2
The first one I owned did have the volume jumps and increased brightness....only when I turned on a pedal after it in my chain ( delay, rev )..

My second OCD does not do this.

Are the pedals in your chain after the OCD true bypass? If yes, try putting a buffer ( I used my boss tuner ) right after the OCD. This might make the OCD brighter and louder but it would be a constant. You can adjust the OCD to how you like it and now when you engage the TB pedal down the line there should be no change in the tone.

This worked for me...I ended up having my volume on the OCD at 10 o' clock and my tone at 11 instead of 12 and 12.

deek

if you do a search, there's been quite a bit of discussion around people have some issues with the OCD and other pedals. I was having this same issue when I would engage my delay (DL4) - there would be a volume boost and the tone would get brighter. anyway, it appears to be the OCD that's causing this flux. I e-mailed Jack Orman about this and he said:

"The output of the OCD is an unbuffered volume pot... 100k or 500k depending on which version that you have. The pedal following the OCB will put a load on the volume pot and reduce the overall signal volume, significantly or not depending on the input impedance of the second pedal. A buffered input pedal will not put much load on it and the signal will come through stronger than if the pedal has a lower input Z. The volume drop/boost will be more noticeable with the 500k version than the 100k. This same problem applies to any other pedal with a volume pot on the output. The Fuzzface should produce a similar response..."

What I've done which has actually worked out quite well for me - since I have no buffered pedals in my signal chain is I've actually taken all my time based pedals (my DL4 and Empress Trem) and placed them in my effects loop. Then run the rest of my pedals (OCD included) in front of my amp. It works perfectly - no volume/tone changes when my delay is engaged. Also, I have tried putting a buffered pedal after the OCD and that maintains the level as well but changed the tone of my OCD quite a bit (I had a crappy buffer so with a better one it'd probably work well).

Thanks and good luck!!!

deek

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
"The output of the OCD is an unbuffered volume pot... 100k or 500k depending on which version that you have. The pedal following the OCB will put a load on the volume pot and reduce the overall signal volume, significantly or not depending on the input impedance of the second pedal. A buffered input pedal will not put much load on it and the signal will come through stronger than if the pedal has a lower input Z. The volume drop/boost will be more noticeable with the 500k version than the 100k. This same problem applies to any other pedal with a volume pot on the output. The Fuzzface should produce a similar response..."

Thanks. This sounds like exactly what is going on with my rig. I tried running the OCD with my DD-20 after it and that keeps it's tone constant, but does thin out the sound and makes it brighter. I've had the same problem with my Fuzz Face type pedals too. I guess I'll just use the OCD for times when I just go guitar > OCD > amp and use my other stuff on the pedalboard. By the way, the V3 OCD DOES sound killer run like this. I hope the GT-500 I have on order doesn't have the same issue, as I really want to use it on my pedalboard.

xXcLoNeXx

I feel like I've experienced the same thing with a Fuzz Factory. I run my FF into a TF Nebula. When the Nebula is engaged it seems like there is more gain and a tone change, but it IS a phaser, so I don't know...

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
In case there is any misreadings of my reference to the Version 3 upgrades;

In no way do I mean that the Version 3 presents some new problems.
It was just a thought that perhaps during the component change out things can ,unnoticed, go awry & maybe that should be looked at.

u2streets

Hey guys,

I have noticed this problem, specifically with the DL 4 and MM 4. When I place either of these pedals after the OCD, the OCD's tone is significantly altered. It's muddy, all the highs are gone. When either the DL 4 or MM 4 is engaged with the OCD on, there is a significant volume jump. I've found a way around it with the L6 pedals. You can put the L6 pedals in an alternate bypass mode by holding the 1st and 3rd switches of the pedal when powering up. This takes the pedal out of true bypass mode, but makes the OCD sound normal and fixes the volume problem. I realize this compromises the true bypass, but it makes my rig sound normal.

JPenn

I've had the same problem with the OCD. I have all Boss pedals behind it and a Vox wha in front of it. It gets almost fuzzish in that it sounds like it should just be liquid for solos, but the notes just choke.

The other day I was just messing around at home and plugged into the OCD then to a HR Deluxe. The tone was just killer and there was plenty of sustain. Also the lowend stayed nice and tight, whereas it gets flubby when used on my board. The HR Dlx has a loop so I could run all of my Boss pedals thru the loop and just the OCD in front.

I've got to redo my board in the next week or so, and I'm going to try and see what exactly is killing the OCD.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Haven't had any problems like this with my v3.
I run it first off the guitar and 15 pedals after it.
Only non-tb pedals are the TU2 & MXR eq (in a Loooper so out of the chain) and my ISP Decimator which is last & always on.
No volume or tone change when running pedals after the OCD.
Everything through the front input on the amp.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
V1 - never had a prob w/ tone alteration (used w/8 other pedals, all true-bypass, 'cept a DD-20 & a SexDrive. I don't know why everyone bugs out over which version is best. I love mine & don't care!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom