OCD / Tube Screamer comparisons

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stu2, Jun 4, 2006.

1. stu2

stu2 Member

I bought an OCD a month ago and really like it. I have a stock TS9 which sounds pretty lame next to the OCD. After modding the TS9 to TS808 specs will the tones be close. I usually run the drive on the OCD at about 9:00 and the volume at about 11:00. I also have seen people talking about asymmetrical clipping when modding their tube screamers. What improvements does that make if any.

Strats-Strobostrobe-Vox 847 RI- Daddy O-OCD-Tube Rotosphere-Allen Old Flame.

2. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

the OCD sounds nothing like a tubescreamer.

a TS has lot of mid, and not a lot of gain.

the OCD has not-a-lot of mids (even the new/modded ones), and work best as a low-drive, but also has TONS of gain available, and it sounds killer.

i have both, have both on my board, and use both.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Stu2, The OCD is a completely different design than any of the tubescreamers.....The size of the soundstage is WAY different...Freq.response ect...any tubescreamer is going to be a competely different animal

4. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

tubescreamers basically sound terrible by them selves. They work very well at what they do in rehearsals and on stage. Im not even sure that the guy who designed it actually intended this to be the case, but they cut through on stage better than most other overdrives out there.

I still havent tried the OCD, but from what i have heard through the grapevine about the circuit, it will not sound anything like a tube screamer, with or without 808 mods.

808 mods are subtle at best.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

The TS-9 to 808 mod is a chip change and two resisters. Some change two caps as well (as I did), but I think that's just an add on mod. I recommend you do not change the resisters to make your TS-9 an 808, as most people feel the factory change was positive ... although I've never A/Bed them. Just change the chip, and put a chip socket in so you can swap at will. e-mail me for part nubvers if you like, it's very easy and very cheap.

...that being said, one is an overdrive and one is a distortion pedal; two different beasts.

6. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I own both and my opinion of them is that the TS9 is a good midrange booster and the OCD is a bass/treble booster with not much mid section. Because of that I like the OCD better with EL34 tubes and the TS9 better with 6L6's. The TS9 is usually good all around but the OCD gives EL34's that much needed kick in the bass section.. I even use EL34Ls with it to get a bit more low end.

They also sound pretty good chained together into the front end of a high gain amp for a super gainy/sustain filled sound.. though not something I use much.

That said, these pedals are nothing alike, the OCD is ten times the pedal in my mind. It responds to pick attack so well it's scary.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Which amps? Sure there are subtle differences between power tubes in the same circuit, but 6L6's don't always have a "Fender Clean" tone. I'm just assuming you mean that tone as a base when you say 6L6 amp.

I agree with you that the OCD does NOT sound like a Tubescreamer. I HP mode, to me, the pedal works best for solo tones, and the LP mode works better for as an "amp in a box." My first impression was "HP is better" cause it seemed louder. Fortunately, that volume knob works, and I found I liked it better as my crunchy rhythm sound in LP mode. There are clips with a lot of OCD in LP mode in the "lil champ clip" thread in the Lounge.

8. Fretts

Fretts Member

Yeah, they are completely different animals, from different family trees.
    The TS is a diode clipper, -a pretty fancy one - but still a diode clipper with a hard flat ceiling, volume wise. The OCD is not based on diodes but transistor overdrive and resembles an amp in that it is better at getting louder when you play harder. If you play that way, the OCD is good news.

9. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Yeah, I meant as a baseline of comparison, I didn't mean to imply all 6L6 amps sound the same in the least :)

I LOVE LP mode with my orange, it just adds the perfect amount of hair and harmonic overtone to the notes. I rarely play the orange without my OCD, not because it can't get dirty enough on its own, but because it just sounds that good with it. HP is great too but my favorite tones come from the LP mode

10. drolling

drolling Member

Somebody once told me that Boss had patented asymmetrical clipping as used in their overdrive pedals. In any case, the two diodes in a Tubescreamer employ symmetrical clipping instead.

Paul Cochrane's Timmy has two dip switches inside so you can set it to clip either way. After fiddling around w/mine, I really couldn't decide which I preferred, so I ordered another one to do a direct A/B comparison between the two settings. It should arrive any day now.

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

They definitely are different schools of od. I have been using Tube Screamers since the early 80s. My favorite TS variation is the Keeley 808+ mod. It gives you more and less of everything.

I'm a Strat guy and love mid boost. I also have Tim and Zendrive on my board, and have other od pedals, I got rid of my OCD.

Lukey no likey.

12. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

2 different pedals, a modded TS9 still wont have the tone of the OCD but could compliment each other. Put the TS9 before the OCD and then turn them both on!!

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

Can anyone comment on the difference between an OCD and a DS-1 with the Keeley SEM mod? The descriptions are fairly close, and I've actually played through both at different times, but has anyone done an A/B comparison?

Thanks

14. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Totally different IMO. TS-9 has a mid hump and not a lot of dynamics if any. The OCD is more level EQ wise but has some really cool dynamics with picking strength. TS-9 is great for leads and heavy blues. Most folks seem to use the OCD at lower gain but it can be really amazing at high gain settings which is how I'm using mine.