ocd uses?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Feb 16, 2009.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

could some of you share your application of the ocd to your amp.settings and such that you find helpful.how much do you use the gain knob ? how hard do you push the level?etc.

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I beleive it sounds best with my tele into a clean amp w/ gain around 9-11 oclock.
    I tried to get more (sustain and hard-rock drive) by pushing the gain over noon, but I think it shines as a gritty overdrive.

I have settled on the LP, because I can get more level (about 10-11 oclock) and have the tone knob near noon, maybe a little on the bass side.

I can get Jeff Beck, Queen and ZZtop style tones. ...but not much sustain w/out volume.

3. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

By itself, I find I use it whenever a TS type sound is not what the song needs.

At low drive, volume up, tone at 11:00, in LP mode, it sounds to my ears to be everything a cranked Fender should sound like, but doesn't.

Turn the drive up, and it gets nasty... in a good way.

What I like to do is use it for some chunky rhythm chording, and then shove my Eternity into it for a nice Fat solo sound.

To me, the OCD is a great pedal for both Lo and Medium OD. I almost wish I had 2, so I wouldn't have to fool with the knobs all the time.

4. gaco

gaco Member

Sounds absolutely Badass through my Mesa TR orange channel raw settings. V 12:00, D 12:00, T 5:00. This pedal made me love my TR!

5. TenThumbs

TenThumbs Member

Still working with mine as I just received on Sunday. Used it alone and teamed with my Keeley TS-9 and it sounded great either way. When used in conjunction with the TS, the OCD sounded fuller and thicker.

6. somedude

somedude Member

HP
    Gain 0
    Level 3:00
    Tone ~10:30

I use it as a crunchy boost. If I need more sustain I boost it with a Fat Boost 2 (Level 10:00, gain 3:00 for those who're counting).

Mine's a V4. I had a V3 and found it way too bassy to be useful for me so I sold it. I took a risk on a V4 when I found out they'd dialled the bass back down. Risk paid off... I love this thing.

7. etc

etc Member

I'm really considering this pedal right now, but I've heard people say it doesn't sound as good running on battery power. Any truth to this? Do you have to run it at 18v to sound good?

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i run mine at 18, but it sounds good at 9 too.... never run it on battery for a timely period. i personally think its got to be run at a decent volume to truley shine. I try and run all my knobs around 11 and the gain sometimes up to 1, but doesn't need to be. I think the LP setting is great for stacking and stuff, but i have only used the HP setting live, which to me just sounds better.... maybe the LP setting gets too close to other pedals i own? (TIM, Snapper, KOT, FD) I sold one of these once, i will never do it again. It is super dynamic both into a clean and dirty amp (fenders a bogner and a stulce). I could easily gig with only the ocd and be content through the night.

9. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I've found it works well as a medium gain (gain = 9 - 11 o'clock) and stacked with another overdrive, something with some mids. The OCD is very transparent but I have found the overdrive a little grainy, even at 18v, through my Blues Junior. This could also be an amp limitation. Tubescreamers, Zendrive, Tim/Timmy and Fulldrive 2 all sound pretty good stacked with the OCD. I've found the LP setting to be fuller and more versatile when it's run at 18v. Kinda like the HP mode run at 9v.

Currently, I'm stacking a TS-808 or a Fulldrive 2 (18v) into the OCD and can cover a great range of overdrive with a couple different solo / boost tones. Great pedal.

10. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

not using it much lately but with my ampeg r50 reverborocket it sounds good about anywhere to me, i always run it at 12volts i think, whatever the supa charger puts out...

i tried cranking the output to overdrive the tubes, wasn't a big deal to me, i run it around unity gain usually

i kind of want another one so i can have one set on low gain, one on high

and i always use it on hp and i've got humbuckers...

if i was using it for clean boost only maybe i'd use lp

11. CALI68

CALI68 Member

This is how I use it:

My Kinman Broadcaster loaded Nocaster to the OCD (V3) then Y'd out to both my Bill modded Blues Junior and my Victoria 45410 (59 Bassman clone). That path = wet dream tone!

Seriously it's just flat out amazing. OCD's are kick ass pedals.

-Chris

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Lately I'm loving it w/ my Les Paul into a clean amp- HP mode, gain around 10 'o clock pushed by my HBE Germania- great classic rock tones.