OCD v.3 vs v.4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Millo 3.1, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

I am simply curious. I am assuming this has been discussed before, nust just in case: anyone care to comment on the differences between the OCD v. 3 and v.4?

My next dist. pedal purchase (and maybe my next gear purchase aside from strings, etc) most likely will be that Soundblox thing, but I'm simply curious as to what Fuller thought he'd change on the v.4

2. wc8485

wc8485 Member

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Great Article.There are clearly audible differences between the different versions of the OCD. I have v1 and v3 and have played v2. V3 is great with a Strat for bridge pup rock sounds because of the added mids and the fact that at about 1 o'clock on the gain knob you get a compression that kicks in and makes for a great rock sound. However, if you want a more transparent bluesy sound I would go with v2 or v4 which aren't as bright as v1.

4. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I've owned v1,v3, v4. v4 is the brightest of the bunch.

5. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Oh thanks for that. Thats interesting jef. I listened to gearman youtube comparison and I heard the V4 to be less bright than v3 but didn't seem as bright as I hear my v1. Goes to show that listening to the real deal live is always much better.

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I watched that clip as well & I thought the 4 didn't have the same output as 3 and didn't sound as sweet.:hide

7. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

How can you compare?
    according to Fulltone's Tech, v1.4 has a different TAPER on the volume and Tone controls so even though they are the same value, setting the controls identical to another pedal (another OCD) renders this kind of comparison completely irrelevant. Completely.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

True. v4 is overall brighter than v3, but v3 had too much bass for me, I couldn't use the gain past noon. It also did not sustain well. I hot a chord through the OCD and then through my Wampler Plexidrive, and the Plexi outsustained the OCD 2:1.

9. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Ya cant... you get a reasonable proximity and go with your gut(Especially if you cant try one in person AND with your own gear.)
    You can then decide to get one and play the hell out of it, at gig volume, bedroom volume whatever your "needs" are... but play it and give it an honest shake down, on LP/HP at 9 volt/18 volt with your own gear, trying it along the way with different settings on the dials.

Give this process time, a week or more... then you're not jumping to conclusions. Personally, I've flipped amps and pedals without givin' them a proper shake down, trial period. Discerning your research from the ppl who jump to conclusions vs. those that really seem to have put in time with a piece helps too. Knowing what gear they used should be a primary thought while you are reading/researching.