OCD v1 and Super Reverb...love/hate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SouthernShred, Jan 18, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I've been playing an OCD v1 with my 66 Super Reverb and man, it's a love hate relationship...Some days, it just sounds overly harsh, other days it seems to just sing...I can never find consistency with it or so it seems...anyone else experience this? It sounds great 100% of the time with a little 1x10 Rivera Clubster, but with the Super, I can't say that I love it all the time...What do the other versions (v2, v3) do that might make me love it more or should I be looking elsewhere for peace and happiness with my Super?

2. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I feel your pain. I have a '65 Super and got a v.1 when they first came out. I used it some on our CD and was quite happy but gigging sometimes it was a little overly harsh and bright. I checked out a friends v.2 and ended up selling my v.1 and getting a v.3. Now I'm still at the same place but sometimes it's a bit too dark! But overall I dig it and it still is on my board. Maybe I should have stopped at the v.2 but lately I have pretty much been satisfied with my rig and it's nothing a little tweaking can't fix up in a second or two.

3. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

DITTO....My thoughts exactly regarding V1 & V3 through my Super, good pedal, but both are gone.

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

what are you using now Troy?

5. Brien

Brien Member

This is a little off topic but, try a 5751 in that first preamp slot-they sound great in a BFSR, and tame the shrillness a little. It may pair better with the OCD.

6. Troy T. Blues

In that vein, a Menatone Red Snapper....much lower gain than the OCD, but open and very amp-like.

I also use either an Eternity or Fulldrive 2 (totally different animals than the Snapper or OCD).

7. Troy T. Blues

Maybe for OCD V1, but not so with V3 IMO.