OCD V1 and V2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by p.snail, Jul 7, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

Um, what's the difference? I did a search on this and can't find it. I thought there was a thread about this a couple weeks back. Does anyone know what the difference is and how can you tell which one you have? I got a used OCD and it sounds a little different than the new one I played, just curious what was up and if it is a Version 1 how do I upgrade to Version2?

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

The newer OCD's (starting with s/n #4564) have a 500K audio taper volume pot. The earlier OCD's have a 100K volume pot (can't remember the taper). If you want to know for sure open you OCD and look at the value stamped on the back of the volume pot.

To my ears the earlier OCDs have scooped mids, strong bass and highs, and the gain is aggressive / rude. The newer version has a balanced mids and bass response, sweeter highs, and sings better / smoother gain. Both sound great to me though I prefer the newer configuration.

If you have the older version and want to change out the volume pot you can order a 500K audio taper pot from Mouser Electronics (Mouser part # 31JA505). If the pot has been 'gooped' (epoxied) to the board or chassis you may have to carefully cut through the goop to remove the stock pot. The new pot installs under the circuit board directly to the chassis. You then use hook-up wire to connect the new pot to the board. There's more information to be found in this thread.

Hope this helps. :)

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

So that's it? Just a Volume pot change has that much effect on the tone of the pedal? Seems easy enough to fix. I suppose this will drastically kill the resale value of my pedal though. If that's all there is to it then I'll just change out the pot. My pedal is a year old so I'm assuming it's the older version. The OCD's only been out about 2years now right? Thanks for the info.

4. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

The mod is great. After having a miserable time trying to cut through the grey concrete type stuff myself, I sent it to Don (toneman) for the mod. It was absolutely worth the $20.

5. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

It is a much better pedal after the mod. I bought a board mount 500k linear pot and bent the leads 180 degrees. It looks clean, it mounts flush, the knob is the rite height. And no hookup wire. Carefully slice though the goo with an exacto knife. What a great pedal![​IMG]

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Personally i dont think its a drastic change the V1 I really liked and has a looser bass feel, I'm using V2 now and definitely liking this more it sounds tighter in the Bass and a tad more mids this pedal just sounds so huge and makes the other pedals I had sound real dull.

Also this is the best pedal I have used that works with your guitars volume knob!

7. p.snail

p.snail Member

I had a little better luck with OCD at tonight's gig, but I'm definitely gonna replace the pot. I opened it up inside and I think I can get the board out and replace the pot pretty simply. It'd be nice if I could find a direct replacement for the pot that's in it. Something the same size I mean, but oh well. It doesn't look too hard. Will the 500K trim some of the sizzle out this pedal? I'm digging the tone, but would like it to be a little smoother. It sounds great when I pound it with my HBE Powerscreamer.

8. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

If you like the way these react to the guitar volume knob you gotta try the xotic BB.......way better for that.......I have both on my board and like them both for different things

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Would like to try the BB some time, whats the gain of the BB like compared to the OCD?

10. p.snail

p.snail Member

I did the 500K pot mod. What a huge difference this made. It was an absolute bitch to get to the pot. The goop is like iron. It took me like 45 minutes to get the circuit board free with an exacto knife. I broke one in the process. The pedal sounds like I remembered the one in chicago sounding like. Much more useable, smoother gain. It sounds really, really good when I goose it with my HBE Powerscreamer. If you don't have a PS I highly recommend them. Much, much, much better than a Fulldrive IMHO. Anyway thanks to all who chimed in on this thread. The operation was a success. :BEER

11. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I've had both recently and kept the OCD. The BB has a little less gain and is a little more compressed. I felt that the OCD was much more responsive to volume knob changes, and the gain has a wider--smoother range. The BB went from clean to crunchy super fast and didn't change much between 9 o' clock and full up.

I also changed the output cap on my OCD to make it a little fuller and not quite so bright.