OCD Version 3 mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jads57, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I`ve asked this before and got some good ifo about changing the value of caps to reduce the bass response. Trouble is, the picture showed an earler version w/ different caps (green in color), mine doesn`t have any green caps at all. Anybody know how to mod the V3 to reduce bass reponse? Thanks again in advance!

2. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

Well, let's see. I believe that if you remove the bottom cover and look at the pedal from the bottom, the cap to change is in the upper left hand corner right by the drive pot. This may or may not be a large green cap, but is still the one to change. The photos of the bottom of the three versions of the pedal show a small yellow cap - a tantalum cap I believe instead of a polyester cap.

On my version 3, the cap was the large green one. I changed it from 1uf to .068uf, which did help lower the bass response. That being said, yesterday I ordered some .056 and .047 caps to try. Hope this helps.

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Yes, the little yellow cap near the DRIVE pot is the one to change. It's not a tantalum. I think it's probably a monolithic ceramic. In any case, I also changed mine to .068uF, and I think it's a HUGE improvement in the overall sound of this pedal. And, I also recently received some .056 and .05 caps to try out, because I think the bass response could still be reduced a bit more. I haven't had time to experiment further. Let us know what you find!

4. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

If you follow the traces of that cap, you'll see they go to the feedback loop of the IC, so that must determine the 'corner frequency" of the feedback loop, I believe.
    Stock on newest ones is .068, and on an older v3 that i have it's a .1 cap.
    Lower that value, you lower the Bass, but also lower Gain and change other "feel" properties for better or worse.

Paul

5. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I'm not surprised Fulltone decided to lower that cap down to .068 from the original .1 value. With the .1 cap, you can hear how the excess bass response screws with the overall character of the signal clipping. The tone is a bit ragged 'round the edges. With the lower cap value, the tone still has that vintage Brit/Marshall aggression, but it's smoother and more refined. It grinds better.

It might be an issue for others, but the reduced gain potential with the lower cap value wouldn't matter to me. Even with the .068, I never set the GAIN knob above 1:30, and that's through a 100% clean amp.

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I changed mine to .022uf. I love the HP side with that value.

Jack

7. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

woah....Mid hump city, yes?

Paul

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses! John D.