OCD Version 4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Droptop, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Has anyone tried out the new OCD, version 4? Whats the verdict? Any big defferences over version 3?

2. dano73327

dano73327 Member

Didn't know there was a new version.

3. rust1975

rust1975 Member

Bought mine last week. I also own a Vers. 3.

Short answer is: Ver.4 sounds brighter and tighter to me. But the tweakability is still there to tone it down a bit. That said, I still prefer my Vers. 3. I'm playing it at the front of my chain through a DRRI as a low-gain push. The bottom end keeps my Keeley Rat and other shrill gains grounded nicely. The Vers. 4 was a little too articulate for me, as I play dirty alt. rock type stuff.

4. Dave

Dave Member

From the Fulltone website:

OCD versions, the straight poop: OCD's are now version4 (we call 'em v1.4), have been out for 3 months+, anything serial # 16,061 and higher IS THE NEWEST VERSION regardless of cosmetics, screws, or LED color. V1.4 has more even harmonics, sweeter top-end, and a different Taper on the volume pot to make it more friendly.You will only find v1.4 in stores most likely, so don't worry. Finally, There are no mods or instructions to mod offered at this time or anytime soon.

;)

5. john b

john b Member

I don't have the best opinion because I only have a v.4 and have never played any of the other versions. I can see how on the HP setting it can get a little bright but that can be dialed out with the tone knob. I prefer the LP setting with the tone around 10:00 o'clock - a very smooth, thick distortion.

I'm really digging this pedal. It's got a huge bottom to it but is pretty nicely balanced. Also, much more transparent than I'm used to from a Fulltone pedal. It just may move the BOR off the board.

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have the v4- don't have a reference point because I've never tried any of the other versions, but it's a great sounding pedal and cleans up beautifully. Big but tight bottom end and very articulate as stated by another poster. Very transparent w/ just the right amount of mids- sounds great w/ my Fenders, but particularly impressive w/ my LP Standard. Loving this pedal so far :AOK

7. madscientist

madscientist Member

After using a V.2 for more than a year, I just picked up a V.4 the other day. I found the changes to be quite noticeable. To my ears, the OD from the V.4 sits better in the mix, and the highs aren't as fuzzy, they're more "controlled"...this is exactly what I wanted changed from the V.2. I'm quite happy with the V.4, and when it's goosed with a 808 type pedal in front, it's incredible.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The volume taper would be a big PLUS for me. V3 is way too sensative and hot right from the get go. I barely have any range to dial in...it's either hot or not.

9. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I took home my version 4 yesterday!

I had version 3 so I have good reference point. Veridct: I like V4 much better. The Volume pot in V3 went from not loud enough to too loud - it was always sort of restless IMO. In V4 the volume pot is not as fiddley, more controlled. The gain in V3 had a raspier high end which was accentuated through my fender amp - the gain in V4 a bit sweeter on the top, giving you a more usable gain knob.

I would say in general it's just a more refined pedal and if you found V3 slighty annoying for the reasons listed above, you may like V4.

That being said in a "live" situation I could see wanting edgier, less refined pedal!

10. sandman

sandman Member

V3 versus V4 mids?

11. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I have version 4 I think.
    I ordered a few months ago
    serial 16243

12. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

v1.4 has more mids, or perhaps it's just that you hear more "string' due to the change to asymmetrical clipping on this version. either way, it stands out better in context of a band or mix better, to my ears. YMMV.

Paul

13. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I got my v.4 yesterday, and got to fool around with it last night. I must say that I've never really done the boutique thing so my reference point is probably way off but I've never had an overdrive/distortion that sounds quite like this one. It's almost transparent with the overdrive, open chords sound huge but you can hear the note definition. The HP setting is a little harsh on the high end side, but the LP setting is great. I've never seen a pedal with so much headroom in regards to all the settings, even with everything set pretty low it still makes a ragingly awesome noise. I'm especially fond of how much the controls actually alter the tone, even if you move them a little bit.

My only gripes so far have been that it's taking me some time to tame the sound overall. But thats just because I haven't worked a lot with it, and I'm used to the really mid-range bump of the tubescreamer so to my ear there is a lot more low and high end frequencies than I usually like. I think within a week of playing with it I'll have exactly what I want.

But what an alive sounding pedal, I was immediately in love with it.

14. Dave

Dave Member

Sounds good to me, thanks.

I've got a v1.4 on the way. :dude

15. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

So mine is SN# 14,3sumthin. So I have version 3 that says version 4 but's really a version 3. WTF???? Is mine a 3.41? 1.43? 4.13? 4.143????????? This is nuts.

16. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I'd like to know this too. I love my v.3, however I think the mids are just a tinge too much...but I still use it and love it. :YinYang

Looks like an order for a v.4 in the near future.

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

+1 I really liked the v3 (and v1 for that matter), but with humbuckers the sweet spot was more like an on/off switch. might have to check out the v4...

18. cameron

cameron Member

Interesting that that serial number is a numeric palindrome. What do you suppose that means?

19. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

It means the latest version was designed at NOON and those present said WOW!

20. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

Just got my version IV. All I can say is WOW! I bought a Fulldrive II one of the first ones several years ago and thought it ok at best. This is the first Fulltone since then I had to see what the hype was about. All I can say is WOW!
    makes my 66 Twin Reverb sound wonderfully overdriven WOW! Did I say WOW!