OCD vs OD-3 + Fulldrive w/Mosfet

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SomniferousEyes, Oct 21, 2008.

1. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

Ive heard that the OD-3 sounds strikingly similar to the OCD. Ive already decided to get a Mosfet, and Im looking for something to go with it. Would FD2 + OD-3 be redundant? I keep hearing about the OCD/OD-3 mystery, and Ive heard that the OCD + FD2 combo is just killer.

Opinions? Im gonna pick up an OD-3 regardless, but just curious.

2. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I'm currently running the OCD/FD2 combo. It's a very nice combo letting the OCD handle the heavy power chording (almost fuzz level) and the FD for the smoother low gain stuff. The MOSFET 2 is very customizable so it's hard to find a setup that it won't work great with. Having said that, I do have my FD2 for sale in the emporium ;). I bought an RC/BB Preamp combo and I need the realestate on my board for those.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I don't know about the OCD v. the OD3 but there is very little overlap between TS type pedals (like the FD) and the OD-3. The od3 has a fairly flat midrange, minimal bass loss and more gain. Plus the entire gain range is musically useful. I think the OD3 and the FD would compliment each other.

4. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

At a higher gain, the OD-3 isn't even CLOSE to the OCD. It's no contest....the OCD kills the OD-3 .

5. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I'm doing the FD2/OCD combo as well, though in a totally opposite fashion. The FD2 is handling my main distortion/peel paint distortion tones, and the ocd is set low so thats a hair away from being clean and dirties up a little more when i strum harder (which is something the OCD excels at). I kind of went on a hunch that they are both Fulltone pedals and would probably be pretty good paired up with on another. Worked out pretty well for me.

6. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

Nice.

My plan is for 3 gain/heaviness stages.

FD2>OCD (always on - low gain). OCD as my main "cleanish" dirt. Just need a little character and grit. When I want more, kick the FD on. When I want MOOOOAARRR!, Ill hit the FD2's boost switch.

Ive owned both pedals (v1 OCD and non-mos FD2), so Im somewhat familiar with their applications. I would have liked to spend a little more time with my v1OCD, but the wallet was calling.

7. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

+1 I owned an OD-3 and OCD at the same time and there's no comparison- the OD-3 sounded lifeless compared to the OCD.

8. IRG

IRG Member

Absolutely. I tested these two pedals together over the weekend, and with higher gain, the OCD just excels at this, while the OD-3 gets noisier and less natural. OCD is much better here. At lower gain settings, the two are closer. I have a OD-3 for sale btw. :D

9. charless

charless Member

:agree

10. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

hah thats weird. i did a sside by side comparison and while they differ greatly on high gain settings, they sounded identical in low gain applications.

ive had my od3 for years too. its a greta pedal. the OCD is great as well.

the od3 is not a tubescreamer. i use the od3 and fulldrive 2 together and its amazing.

11. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Personally I find the OD3 sounds good through its entire gain range. Its a smooth and somewhat compressed pedal and it obviously does not have the dynamics of the OCD.

While the OCD has more gain than the OD3 I found that its useful tones ended at noon on the gain dial. I am NOT the first person to note this. To me it sounds raspy and harsh above noon. I would never use the OCD by itself for "high gain". That said if you keep the gain at noon or below and goose the OCD's input with a boost pedal you can get good higher gain tones that are not available with just the gain knob. Try it.

For the record I have no idea if the OCD and the OD-3 share any sonic similarities because I have retired (but still own) my OD3 and the OCD was here and gone. I never a/b'd them.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Not only that, the OCD gets too bassy to even be useful with the gain past noon (on v3 anyways).

I like both the OD-3 and the OCD, but they really are nothing alike IMO.

14. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

;) :p

15. improv4

improv4 Member

I've been running the fd-2mos and the OCD together for a while, very happy; definately work the 3 stages of gain idea. Have never tried the od-3 though. Beginning to agree with others as far as the OCD at lower gain levels really shines. The OCD at higher gain with the FD-2 engaged seems too compressed and notes lose definition; especially when the boost is engaged.
    Good luck on your search!

16. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

Thanks! Ill be running the OCD VERY light. Just enough so that light picking will be almost clean.

And my FD-2 will go before the OCD, as opposed to your OCD>FD2 series.

17. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

When you guys say you use your OCD for light/mild OD, what are your settings? What to you consider light OD? I'm running it at 18v in HP mode with the gain at Noon.

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Just wondering...are all of you guys running these into a clean channel of an amp?

19. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

I would be running it into a clean amp.

The Version 1 that I had...for lighter gain, Id do 11oclock on Gain knob, volume at whatever, tone at 1oclock. I was also powering it at 12 volts. On LP mode, BTW.

20. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I'm going into a clean amp. My OCD is running at 9v, HP mode, the gain is way way down, probably on 8 o'clock, volume around 11 oclock, and tone around 10 or 11 oclock (this is from memory, my board is at my rehearsal space). It really just acts for the most part to fatten up my clean tone, only really going into overdrive land if I'm strumming harder.