OCD vs. OD11 vs. KoT/PoT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WhiskeyBro, Mar 10, 2015.

1. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

So I just joined a new band where I'll be the 3rd guitar player. We're doing straight ahead rock (think Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc.) and my role is to play a mix of rhythm and secondary lead as needed. I'm kind of re-vamping my pedalboard setup so that I can work with the other two guitarists but also have my own tone to cut through the mix when needed. So I just bought a Wampler Velvet fuzz and love it. I've got it on the thick mode and am using it more for a thick gain tone with a little fizz on top. I'm playing into a DSL40C with the first channel set for slight break-up. I've got an OCD which I can use for standard overdrive tones but the other lead guitarist also has one which he uses for one of his main tones so I'm not sure if it's a great idea for us to both being using similar drives like that. My name recently came up on the KoT list and I'm also considering that or a PoT to save space on the board. The aforementioned lead guitarist also has an OD11 that's trying to sell and I can get that at a great price. I think either that or the KoT/PoT would be good at pushing the Marshall into nice saturation and still keep the tone of the amp intact but should I just stick with my OCD instead?

2. gigs

gigs Member

I love my OCD and it gets such a wide range of tones (run it at 18v). Really responsive to guitar volume and pick attack thru a good clean amp. I would try some different settings on it until you dial in something that compliments the other guitars before I set out on yet another pedal journey. Third guitar... I guess I would lighten up on the gain and stay a bit more on the clean side, otherwise seems like the three guitars might get all muddy and mixed up in the air.

3. Chococat

Chococat Member

The OCD is one of the few overdrives out there that I can say will sound good with any guitar and any amp. There are quite a few usable tones. I would say just try some different settings. I agree with lowering your overall gain.

4. meowmers

meowmers Member

I believe two players can use the same rig and still sound significantly different.

So not much of a problem there.

But to spice up your life you could buy something new. It's TGP *wink*

5. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

You lost me at 3 guitar players...what in the world do you need that many guys for?

6. JPerson

JPerson Member

Yea... I'm with televisual...I play in a 2 guitarrists band and some time we have to pull for some imagination to get room for 2 guitars... now 3 guitars! But hey! Life is experimenting :aok

I'm one of the few guys that didn't bond with the OCD (V3) but the lovepedal AMP Eleven never left my board.
    I think the AMP11 is the OD11 with a secondary switch for boost. So my vote would go for the OD11.

I have no experience with the KOT/POT.

I also think that's no problem if two guitarrists use the same pedal because there's so much variants that could change your sound... guitarrists, guitars, amp, settings. So if you're fine with the OCD stick with it.

Cheers!

7. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

All of those are great pedals. But with 3 guitarists competing for frequency space , you may wanna look into something with a mid emphasis. TS, Klone, SD-1, etc...

8. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I think you could be OK with the OCD even thought the other guitar player has it as long as you both don't set up for the same sound. The OCD can go from clean to full dirt. Both of those bands you mentioned play with 3 guitars at times (when Eddie Veder plays too) and find space. I think as the 3rd guitarist I would probably try and stay on the cleaner side of the overdrive spectrum. A Tubescreamer or similar would be a solid easy choice. I would also try and look for different chordings and little accents to head for rather than just straight rhythm copying what someone else is already playing. Most popular music has 3 or more guitar tracks on the recordings so I would be listening for the little extras in those tracks that really make a song come alive rather than the obvious rhythm or lead parts. I might also be looking to experiment with effects so the lead player and singing/player can keep it simple while you help fill in the sonic landscapes that propel a song forward with tasteful use of effects.

9. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

This is pretty much exactly what I'm going to be doing in this band. I've been recording their new album over the past few months and ended writing 3rd guitar parts for most of the songs. They were so impressed with what I came up with that they asked me to join. I borrowed the OD11 from the other lead guitarist last night and will hopefully get to do some experimenting with that and the OCD tonight after work. I've also got a TC Spark boost that might work too for certain situations. I'm definitely planning on using lighter gain overall though and have told the rhythm guitarist/lead singer that he'll probably need to lay back on the amount of gain he's using so that it doesn't sound like a garbled mess when we play live. The Velvet Fuzz is my lead tone and will work well with the other lead guitarists tone when we do harmonized leads together. I'm curious about the Tubescreamer - to be honest, that's one pedal I've not really had a lot of experience using. Are there any other pedals out there that compare with one that I should check out? Does the PoT/KoT not have that mid-range hump?