OCDish pedal with less compression ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Schlep, May 2, 2008.

1. Schlep

Schlep Member

Hi all -

What pedal is OCDish with less compression ? FWIW, I generally set the gain about 9 o'clock.

Thanks !

Craig

2. KPO

KPO Member

Less compression? My OCD v1 is my least compressing pedal. Boss DS1 (old japanese), BBpreamp, fulltone bassdrive, Rc Boost; they compress more than an OCD

3. Brien

Brien Member

I agree.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I don't think it exists. The OCD is among the most open, least compressed pedals out there. Other similar choices (with less overall gain) would be a Timmy, Barber silver LTD and...ummm.... not much else that I've tried anyway. The timmy with the gain at noon is about equal to the OCD at 9:00. The SLTD with the gain maxed is about equal to the OCD at 9:00.

6. Schlep

Schlep Member

Guys -

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Using a G&L ASAT through a '67 BF Princeton Reverb (stokes mod & 12" Celestion G12H-30) around 3 on the volume knob (almost all distortion coming from pedal) and found it to be a bit compressed. I switched to a 12" Weber California, which gave a bit more top end and less compression. I would like to go back to the Celestion speaker and get more bite when using and OD pedal, which helps when playing in a band (as opposed to bedroom) situation.

I'm surprised to see the concensus is that the OCD is one of your least compressed pedals. Note: I am not disputing what you are hearing - it could acually be the way I hear things. Describing sound is tough as everyone hears things differently.

We are never satisfied - that's why we're on the Gear Page. In reality, I'm not into 'horsetrading' gear and I really dig the OCD, but couldn't resist asking.

Other thoughts welcome. . .

Craig

7. bastet

bastet Member

How much gain are you looking for?

I have the Subdecay F-Bomb. Which is a very open sounding overdrive/fuzz/distortion. I aslo have an OCD v3.

For low gain, I would check out there Liquid Sunshine but I have only heard the clips on the website.

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

look for a Menatone Red Snapper, easily the most non-compressed OD I've ever played. It's why I ended up getting rid of mine, I like a bit of compression with my OD.

9. Schlep

Schlep Member

I would say moderate - I use the OCD about 9 o'clock. I like to hear the attack of the string as well as the distortion.

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

What version do you have? I have a v1 which had very little compression, but the v3 was like a different pedal--more mids, more compressed. If you have a v3 you might want to check out a different version, or a Timmy/Tim.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

sounds like you need a boost. OCDs aren't very compressed until you get to the higher gain settings (where I say they DO offer mesa-ish compression in some settings). I would look at something like a fulldrive in comp-cut mode. If not a boost, then you definitely will want to try a fuzzface with the volume rolled down.

I personally HATE HATE HATE compression in my dirty signal for anything but gainier santana-ish leads. My two main dirt pedals are a sillicon fuzzface, and a fulldrive 2 (always in comp-cut). Both are very open sounding. The fuzzface is actually one of the most amp-like pedals i've ever played.... which is funny since it was one of the first dirt boxes ever made. Leave your volume and gain wide open and it compresses and sings, roll the volume back and its got some bite, but still an open clarity that you get from rolling your volume back with a cranked amp.

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Try the Durham Zia Drive - supposed to be completely void of compression.

13. Sikor

Sikor Member

It is easy: OCD powered by 18V :RoCkIn

14. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

+1 on the 18v. if your worried about headroom compression, than open it up a little bit and run it at 18. would be worth a try over buying another pedal.

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A Catlinbread Silver Kiss, very low compression at lower gain levels. Great pedal

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've read that the Fulltone GT500 has less compression than the OCD.

17. Schlep

Schlep Member

All -

Thanks for all of your input - I have some things to consider here. First thing to do is check it out with an 18v power supply. Someone mentioned the FDII as an alternative - already have one which was put on the shelf for now as the OCD allows me to go from a pretty clean amp to distortion better than the FDII, which I use more as a pedal to send an amp set with some hair into a more distorted sound.

Overall, the where I'm at right now with the OCD is not a bad place at all - better than most in fact. At least to my ears.

Craig

18. I have both the OCD V3 and GT500, and the GT500 has a lot less compression. I use it for my main OD/Dist and the OCD for crunch with the gain at around 8 o'clock running at 12V and it sounds AMAZING.

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I kinda think my Little Green Wonder is pretty uncompressed.

I agree with others... timmy or silver kiss mk2 would be great.