Octal Preamp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gumby, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Gumby

Gumby Member

how does it effect the tone of your amp? What's the benefit of having octal tubes in the pre?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They're generally considered the best preamp tube types for clean tones.

3. Gumby

Gumby Member

So it's less then ideal for overdriven and distorted sounds?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

There's no consensus on tone, but generally, they're not used in overdriven circuits...possibly because of their lower (than 12AX7s) gain.

5. iggs

iggs Member

Lower gain but much smoother breakup when pushed. Difficult to find good ones these days due to low NOS availability and no decent new ones being made.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

They're not that hard to find. Price is another issue, but good NOS examples are still below NOS 12AX7 prices.

7. iggs

iggs Member

Do you have any good ones in stock? I'm looking for a 6SL7 with matched sides to use as a PI in my Bümbox Lead50 ... it would have to be checked for noise and microphonics since I already found a few localy but once I put them in the amp they just ended up making the good ol' wind noise whooshing sound ... ;)
    I have an old "Rogers" tube in there now which works great but I wouldn't mind having one or two as a backup.

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

They seem to have a wider tonal spectrum than the 9 pin counterparts. Forward sounding. Unless you've played one, it's hard ot compare to a modern standard of a 9pin setup since that's all most people are used to. We've worked the last 50 years trying to get the best 9pin sounds possible, so to think that there's an older option that might breathe new life into the mix is tough to fathom.

I overdrive mine and love it. Thenagain, I only have an octal in the v1 spot, although that's where most of the gain is coming from anyways.

Nice thing is, I can switch to a 9pin anytime I choose...Just pop in the octal->9pin conversion socket.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Check my website. I've got several.

The wind noise is "noise", not microphonics. Microphonics are almost never a problem in the PI socket.

10. iggs

iggs Member

Cool, thx.

11. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I think its very hard to separate what part of an amp's tone comes from an octal vs. nine pin tube, but in my experience I'd pretty much agree with thesedaze. The two amps I've played with octal preamp tubes seem to have a wider tonal range - kind of like watching TV in widescreen, if that makes any sense.

12. larrylover

larrylover Member

I can confirm this. I have an Alessandro Blue Tick, that uses octal preamp tubes, and another amp that takes 12ax7s. I am currently considering getting both octal and 12ax7 NOS tubes and the 12ax7s are multiples more expensive than the octal tubes.

Also, at least in the Alessandro designs, the dirt is nice and overdrive is superb. The cleans are spectacular.

13. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

It's easier if:

1)You put octal-9pin convertors in the octal amp, and play it with octals and with 9pins....
    2)Play an octal version of the amp, then play the 9 pin version in a seperate but same make/model through same speakers.