Octal preamp tubes....anybody with me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlinde, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlinde

jlinde Member

We need to get back to the basics here. Some of the fattest and sweetest tone ever have came from the early 50's-60's era amps with octal preamp tubes.. including my gibson ga20 and ampeg jet. What is the deal here? Are my ears that bad yet? Or is it just the fact that octals are more expensive to make.....but I guess it's the American way. Pay more....get less. What a shame!

2. jlinde

jlinde Member

Yes gilmore, I am aware of badcat (and the price) and all of the botique amp, but it still doesn't answer my question. Thanks though.

3. MHG

MHG Member

Not sure I understand what you're asking then. The title of your thread is "is anybody with me?". The thread that SirGilmour posted here demonstrates that yes, there are others here that are with you. I guess your second question was why aren't they used in modern amps? The same thread also indicates that there are in fact quite a few modern day amps using Octal tubes. Did I miss something?

SirGilmour likes this.
  4. jlinde

jlinde Member

Hey buddy, go to a different thread then if u can't understand what I'm asking... and No there isnt a lot of amps with octal preamp tubes. I don't need a critic..

5. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

What?

Yes.

6. SirGilmour

Whoa dude. Calm down. If you looked at that link I posted you would see there are quite a few new amps being made that use Octals.

7. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

If that's your attitude, I suggest heading to another forum. We don't need critics.

SirGilmour likes this.
  8. jlinde

jlinde Member

Yes, your the guy that plays thru a digital processor and new marshalls with spandex pants with hairspray! Leave me alone, put your guitar and computer down and get some *****! It might put you in a better mood!

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Let's see...
    • Octal preamp tubes - I like 'em too. Check.
    • Go back to basics - Sure, why not? Check.
    • Early amps are fat & sweet - Yes, typically with relatively lower-voltages applied to the preamp valves, which should be considered at least as much as the tube type. Still... Check.
    • Are your ears that bad yet? Maybe?? You can get that checked.
    • Are octals more expensive to make? Perhaps a slight bit, due to greater mass of materials. Probably not significant. sorta ...check...
    • Leap to a political/social generalization that reveals a cantankerously resigned pessimism - You're losing me quickly now.
    How 'bout coming up with a proposed design that we can all cheer you on with? Maybe someone will build it for you. Maybe, after reconsidering the thread referenced earlier, someone already has...

- Thom

SirGilmour likes this.
  10. SirGilmour

Wow. This may be the record for fastest thread implosion by the OP.

strangec likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.