Octave and other nasty fuzzes!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by evening_crow, Apr 17, 2015.

1. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

I've got some leftover money and I'm thinking of taking advantage of Prymaxe's 20% off sales. I'm really interested in getting some kind of crazy fuzz but am not sure what. Initially, I was interested in a Fat Fuzz Factory for a crazy velcro sound but they're out of stock and am not too sure I'd love it despite being a Muse fan. Apart from that, there was the Blackout Effectors Fuzz Bear but that's only available through PGS and hasn't quite convinced me.

My last option is some sort of octave fuzz. I like Catalinbread's Perseus and EQD's Fuzz Master General and Bit Commander (I know, not exactly a fuzz). I know it's not much help considering one's an octave up and the other down but is there anything you guys recommend for either crazy velcro or octaves? Thanks!

2. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Zvex Mastotron

...have you considered a Ring Modulator?

3. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

The Mastotron seems pretty good but not quite it. I've never really been interested in ring modulators on their own but love when fuzzes have some of that texture. Plus, I can get a faux ring modulator sound out of my Whetstone. Anyone ever tried running one into a fuzz? Or the Bit Commander? I currently have a Pharaoh Fuzz.

4. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Pick up a Scarab Deluxe from Prymaxe. I'm a huge Muse fan, and the Scarab sounds great playing Muse. Sounds great playing just about anything. It can do the velcro sounds. It's not crazy or oscillating, but it's a working man's fuzz and sounds amazing. Very useable.

Fuzz Master General sounds awesome but I don't think many have tried it yet. From the demos, it sounds like EQD's best fuzz yet.

What you might like more is getting a fuzz and then picking up a Foxrox Octron or another analog octave pedal. The analog octave up sound gets slightly ring mod-ish and sounds great with fuzz.

5. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

For octave-up, have a look at the Source Audio Soundblox 2 Multiwave Distortion. It does a fairly normal octave-up, but everywhere on the fretboard. Some of the crazier octave sounds get into sitar- and ring-mod-like tones. There are some great and unconventional non-octave distortion tones in there as well, along with some more conventional ones.

Prymaxe has it. I got one for 20% off.

6. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Empros on this one: give the Foxrox Octron (or Octron 2, better yet!) a try. You'll have octave down, up and mix the straight signal as you please. Works great with fuzz! Here's the Octron 2 with a MKII Tone Bender; I'm only playing in the low E string with an Ebow and some delay:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/krz4fx/very-low-down-and-dirty-fuzz[/SOUNDCLOUD]

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Bearfoot Candy Apple Fuzz can do all of the things you mentioned with a twist of the nature knob, worth looking into.

8. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

I don't own a Pharoah but I've played thru them enough to know its a kickass pedal with a wide variety of gain.
    I would definitely try running it into a ring mod blended @ 25-40% wet with lower freq settings to get than partial trem stutter effect. Kind of a one-trick pony but seems to hold my attention in that it makes very rude sounds and can better handle chords than most octave fuzzes IMO based on my limited experience. The 3Leaf Audio You're Doom is and Cusack Screamer Fuzz are both worth demoing if available

9. Zelig

Zelig Member

MXR La Machine

10. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

Wow, there's some great advice here. I think the Apple Fuzzes are great but it's hard to settle on one! The 3Leaf Audio sounds killer too but I only found demos of it on bass.

Keep them coming!

11. Zelig

Zelig Member

If you like the Apple fuzzes and do a lot of bendings go with the iPhone 6 Plus. It's great for bending!
    :sarcasm

Here's one more: