Octave down pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Jul 11, 2006.

1. shakti

shakti Member

Before you all jump in and shout: OCTRON!!!...I already have one! But I am actually considering yet another one! But just so I know before I start planning, are there any alternatives? I'd prefer something in a hammond-style box for where this is going on the board, but beggars can't be choosers. Tell me about all the options out there!

BTW, anyone ever try to patch two octave pedals after each other?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I ahve an Octron also. But before I got that I had a Boss OC-2, (newer model is OC-3 I think, I saw nothing MORE useful on it worth the price so if I was buying today I would still buy the OC-2) and to my dumb-ears the tracking is just great on it. Sounds great all the way, and is very adjustable.

I know there are a few NEW boutique pedals out there too, I just saw one but don't remember which pedalmaker.

There are certainly others as well, but really, the OC-2 is excellent, and not expensive.

3. shakti

shakti Member

Well, too bad a non-true bypass pedal is not an option I'm afraid...

4. llc55

llc55 Member

The major problem on the OC2/OC3 pedals is they are not TB and, due the nature of the effect, need to be placed in the begining of the chain. This is a pain in the ass when you have germanium-based dirt boxes.

I would be nice to have an inexpensive octave down pedal like the boss ones with a TB feature.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

You could put your octave down pedal in a small true bypass loop box....

Believe it or not, I think the Danelectro Chili Dog sounds great for octave and double octave down. I retired mine because I can get this effect with my G-Major now, but the Dano tracked well and sounded excellent when fed by a compressor or fed into an overdrive (and all three on was just monsterous!).

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

MXR Blue Box? Red Witch Fuzz God has sub-octave, too, but neither of those are clean sub octaves. Boss HR-2, PS-5 and OC-3 will do it as well. There's a (bigger) E-H pedal that does it, Octave Multiplexer? POG and HOG will do it as well.

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

Doesn't seem like there's a lot of boutique octave down boxes ut there- mainly the big boys. FWIW I liked my dano chili dog a lot too- basically an oc-2. I built a big enclosure for 6 danos and mounted it in there with TB, but fried the pedal in the course of modding it. Now when it's on it's a fixed level, and the octave is way fuzzed out and crazy. Actually, i use it like that a lot;-)

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

9. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Ladedada, cork sniffer alert! How many millions of fans have been subjected to not true bypass Boss pedals over the decades? :Spank

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Try the POG or HOG... I really like the POG for organ so, but want the HOG also for its synth/filter/hold/glissando sounds and the expansion pedal with presets/expression pedal so you don't have to twiddle on the floor with controls... The POG is fun for octave use, very synthy, but the HOG would be more practical as you can have switchable presets...

11. shakti

shakti Member

eeerm, before you go all judgmental...the reason for this involves vintage-style fuzz pedals, and the fact that I like my post-fuzz buffering to be done by a VHT Valvulator...

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Chicago Iron is a boo-teek Octavia, no?

13. g-nem

g-nem Member

When and why?

14. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Still a few months away I think...maybe a little longer.

Seperate switches and dials for the OCT UP, OCT DOWN and DIRECT.

15. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I too like the Chili Dog. The bypass loop idea is great, as is a rehouse.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Ummm...just to mention, it had of been nice if you mentioned this in the original post. No big deal, but the answer to my original "trying to help" post seemed a little...snippy. It might be that you are not a native english speaking person and often the nuances can mislead...I know many Dutch people for example who get unucky with "phrasing" that is polite in Dutch but translated seems slightly rude in english, because of it's directness.

Again, no big deal, but the "too bad..." for most native english speakers is kind of a chiding hint, and when it is about something you neglected to mention (that is important to the discussion)...well, it kinda rubs folk the wrong way. I'm sure in some, it really means "oh..thanks, but it's too bad I really"...see it was the thanks (americans are OVERLY polite too sometimes!) that was missing.

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way and it is no problem. Just for your own information.

17. rewog

rewog Member

Just for interest... here's something different...
    Down Town - A Lovepedal Octave down w/Fuzz:-

[​IMG]

18. onemind

onemind Member

Ampeg Sub Blaster is simple and does a nice job, pretty big footprint though...
    [​IMG]

19. shakti

shakti Member

Ooops, sorry if it came out that way. I meant "too bad" as in "too bad for me that I need a TB pedal and can't use the OC-2". That's all! :)

BTW, I discovered the Rastop Super Divider, which looks like a *great* alternative. Currently looking into that, will check out the Lovepedal too.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's what I assumed. Cool that you found a couple that might fit your needs!