Octave Pedal for Baritone sounds?

jim lavender

I was thinking about picking up an octave pedal to make my tele sound like a Baritone . Think Pete Anderson twang . In the past I’ve tried this but the tracking seemed to be off thus creating a warbling effect . Does anyone know of a pedal that can pull this off for an old school country format. Thanks

UELong

How about a Whammy 5? I used it to play somewhat passible bass parts for recording. And when my band played call me Al, I did that little lick before the end, as my bassist couldn't.

mr_cheef

I'm not sure an octave pedal would give you the desired sounds, it'll make you guitar sound somewhat like a bass, but baritones are generally tuned to B or A

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
Digitech Drop is probably the best for what you want to do. You can set the transposition all the way down into the baritone range, and the tracking won't get glitchy. I'd love to recommend an analog octave pedal because the transposition is more organic. But analog really struggles to track on the lower frets of the lower strings, and they really struggle with bridge pickups, all of which I think would be crucial for the Pete Anderson feel. The best tracking I've found for analog is the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. That one tracks comfortably down until the last couple of frets. Maybe you could pair it with a capo to get where you need to go. Otherwise, the Drop is the ticket.

NoiseNinja

No better than the EHX Bass9, it has a setting that emulates a baritone guitar, where you can downtune however much or little you wish, from just 1 half step down down to full 12 steps (1 octave) down (which is demonstrated somewhere in the demo linked to as well, I believe it is the Longhorn setting, as in mimicking the awesome Danelectro baritone and bass Longhorn guitars (mind all the other setting will only do a full 1 octave down, and mimic different types of basses)).

You won't find any other pedal currently on the market that'll do a better or more realistic job at making your guitar sound like a baritone guitar (or bass for that matter).

Last edited:

NoiseNinja

Thanks everyone . I will look into these options
To start with I advice you listen to that demo of the EHX Bass9 that I linked to above your last reply, which you might have missed since our posts more or less was posted at the same time.

Though as said only one of the modes on this pedal mimics a baritone guitar and allows for freely choosing how much you want to downtune by, as I explained, the other settings will only allow for a full octave down and mimic various basses, but that one setting I'd say would be totally worth it, as it does a very good and impressively realistic sounding job at it.

As said I don't believe there is anything else currently on the market that will mimic a baritone as realistically and well as this pedal.

Last edited:

jim lavender

To start with I advice you listen to that demo of the EHX Bass9 that I linked to above your last reply, which you might have missed since our posts more or less was posted at the same time.

As said only one of the setting mimics a baritone guitar though and allows for freely choosing how much you want to downtune by, as I explained, the other settings will only allow for a whole octave down and mimic various basses, but that one setting I'd say would be totally worth it, as it does a very good and realistic sounding job at it.

As said I don't believe there is anything else currently on the market that will mimic a baritone as realistically and well as this pedal.
Will do man . Thanks

jim lavender

I would also look at The Gamechanger Audio Bigsby pedal.
Hey Joe. I had high hopes for this pedal . I actually bought one and sent it back last week. I play my teles a lot and thought it would be a cost effective way to arm them all with a Bigsby . It was a nice pedal but there was something artificial/sterile about the tone to me . It just didn’t sound as good as the bigsbys on my Gretsch guitars and at was too expensive to justify keeping . As a PSA I will say I dealt with a company called Russo music that I’d never bought from before and the customer service was stellar.

joebloggs13

Hey Joe. I had high hopes for this pedal . I actually bought one and sent it back last week. I play my teles a lot and thought it would be a cost effective way to arm them all with a Bigsby . It was a nice pedal but there was something artificial/sterile about the tone to me . It just didn’t sound as good as the bigsbys on my Gretsch guitars and at was too expensive to justify keeping . As a PSA I will say I dealt with a company called Russo music that I’d never bought from before and the customer service was stellar.
Interesting, I haven't heard that from other owners of the pedal...granted, it is still relatively new. Also, being able to add a Bigsby to all your guitars is pretty cool...and it's the main reason I have ordered one. I should be getting it in the next day or so. I don't own a Gretsch, or indeed any guitar equipped with a Bigsby, but I do like the sound of one. I am hoping this pedal will work for me. The reviews all sounded pretty good....for what it's worth... :beer

Last edited:

doninoakland

I’ve tried so many of these. IMO it’s Digitech Drop or Bass9, and nothing else.

But I use these for a bass sound in a mix, where the ears aren’t too sensitive to a fake bass. For a baritone sound … I don’t think you’ll be satisfied. But try it, see what you think.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of octave pedals and I wear by this unassuming little fellow. A keeper.

With my own knobs to spice up the looks.

P1450241.JPG

jim lavender

Interesting, I haven't heard that from other owners of the pedal...granted, it is still relatively new. Also, being able to add a Bigsby to all your guitars is pretty cool...and it's the main reason I have ordered one. I should be getting it in the next day or so. I don't own a Gretsch, or indeed any guitar equipped with a Bigsby, but I do like the sound of one. I am hoping this pedal will work for me. The reviews all sounded pretty good....for what it's worth... :beer
you’re comments are pretty much spot on . The pedal isn’t bad sounding at all but I’m a lifelong Bigsby freak and it just didn’t quite get there for me. The Bigsbys that I’ve had on teles in the past didn’t give me the change in pitch I was used to with my Gretsch as the angles aren’t as good with the flat body . I was hoping this pedal would do the trick . Knowing myself , I will probably revisit it down the road and should’ve kept it longer before I returned it

Trending Topics

Top Bottom